Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The end of the big box store, is Best Buy dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The end of the big box store, is Best Buy dying?

I've never had a problem shopping there so I can't identify with the all the angst exhibited by so many, but I get why they're on a decline.

Comment

When I read the thread first, I thought it was interesting, probably had some legs. Shirtless started just this morning....

Ok.

Then on a completely different board I read, a personal story about Best Buy...
      I have been looking at the Android tablets to replace my netbook. My netbook is a Asus. It's been outstanding but having to get out my big laptop to watch videos is driving me nuts. It's getting worse as most of the videos are now HD. The net book just won't play them.

So, I go in Best Buy today to see what they have. The Asus Transformer and the Asus Transformer Prime are both on display. I study, fiddle, and fend off the sales girl for 20 minutes. I walk up to the counter and asked the girl a couple of questions and tell her I want the Prime and the keyboard dock. Her response, we don't stock those and have to order them. It only takes a week to get them.

I ask about the regular Transformer. Nope, order only.

My response, If I wanted to order them I wouldn't have come here. I can do that online from home.

Circuit City did that to me with my Sony Vaio six months before they went out of business. I bought it at Best Buy. I guess Best Buy is next. Online is going to be the only way to get stuff before long. Kind of sucks, I like to fondle things before I buy them.
      One would think reading one is interesting, both- wow. Both the SAME DAY. geez.

Some serious legs to the Shirtless's theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Just a couple weeks ago Best Buy announced they would be closing 50 stores and they laid off about 400 people. This isn't the first that has happened in the last 5 years. Now today, Brian Dunn has announced that he has resigned as CEO of Best Buy. Thoughts?
        They were too slow to react to Amazon and couldn't capitalize on the market that was once held by Circuit City. Further, when their business model seems to be built on "how many ways can we provide ****-poor service and screw our customers today", it should not be a big shock they are struggling. I give them, on the high end, five years before they go the way of Circuit City and other failed retailers.
        Last edited by UMDbulldogs#1; 04-10-2012, 10:24 PM.
        How do they expect us to throw hotdogs at the gophers with that [Expletive deleted] net in front of us?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

Original Penalty Box Member

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
          I have a hundred dollar gift card to Best Buy..Should I go spend it now?
          Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          Wait for the store closing sales!
          That's assuming you can actually use the $100 gift card. If they are anything like the rewards points, good luck.
          How do they expect us to throw hotdogs at the gophers with that [Expletive deleted] net in front of us?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

Comment

Originally posted by UMDbulldogs#1 View Post
            That's assuming you can actually use the $100 gift card. If they are anything like the rewards points, good luck.
            wow, what crawled up your butt?
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Rewards points, apparently...
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I use the net to research electronics, then preferably buy it at Best Buy, etc. I want to physically try them out. Get a feel for them. You can't do that with online purchases (from what I hear, returns are usually a hassle).

However, Best Buy is not organized within the store. It's chaotic. Crap is everywhere. It's a swap meet. They have been slow to change, and it's biting them in the arse. As for prices, they obviously have more costs, but they also can't use CDs as loss-leaders anymore (and the like). Amazon can.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

We tried to use the rewards points once and it was such a hassle, that we basically told the customer service person to close the account, keep the points, and then go F themselves (only in a professional manner). I think the exact words were, "these points are no longer worth my time to collect or to redeem. Please close the account and keep the points because I have no intention on shopping with you again."

On a related note, I don't like BB for this reason: Every time I've been in that store, I feel like they are trying to take me for a ride. I haven't shopped there in years for this reason. I can get electronics on Amazon, Apple Store, or at Target for cheaper and less bs. I have examples of BB customer service at it's finest below:

1. Bought a new car stereo at BB. Wanted them to install it. Guy said it would be $30ish for the install. Thought that was a bit strange because it just dropped $300 on a stereo and now they want more to install it. So I called another BB store in a different city. Kid doing stereos said, "We never charge for installs as long as you buy the stereos from us." Good thing I called around.

2. Friend buys a new TV on Black Friday. He is told that it will be an extra $100 to "program" the TV so the picture quality is at it's best. Whatever, it's sounds like bs so friend declines the service. Takes the TV home, opens the box. Finds a note saying the TV has already been "programed." Basically, they were charging people $100 for a service that was already done.

3. Went to BB with gf (now my wife) to buy a new stereo. They had a deal in the weekly mailer where if you bought X brand, they gave you a free iPhone/iPod input cable. Get to the store, buy the stereo, and they try and charge her $60 for this iPhone cable. She throws the bs flag and shows them, not only the mailer, but the sign in their store stating the cable is free. Guy say, "I guess it's free then" and then proceeds to rip down the in-store sign. Conclusion - they charged people (again) for something that was free.

Do I need to keep going?
                  Last edited by UMDbulldogs#1; 04-10-2012, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Just biting my tongue here...this one's waay too close to my work.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      I still like hard copies of my media, so I'm still a sucker for the big box stores. Still, I'm in the minority in my generation- most of whom trust their benevolent Internet overlords enough that they aren't bothered by the inability to see or hold something that they buy.

As a Richfield MN native, this is a bit of a slow but sure Death of my Hometown.
                      I like hard copies too. This doesn't make me want to go to Best Buy, or any other huge, awful store.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                        I like hard copies too. This doesn't make me want to go to Best Buy, or any other huge, awful store.
                        The thing is, big box stores crippled (if not killed) the indie stores. Now the net stores are killing the big box stores. Evolution, my friends...
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          The thing is, big box stores crippled (if not killed) the indie stores. Now the net stores are killing the big box stores. Evolution, my friends...
                          Which is exactly why I make a point of still shopping at the indie stores. Edit: well that and the fact that any indie store probably has a better selection of music, movies, etc. than any big box store.

Comment

Which is exactly why I make a point of still shopping at the indie stores. Edit: well that and the fact that any indie store probably has a better selection of music, movies, etc. than any big box store.
                            Truth.

Not that I really buy any music anymore, but it was usually indie stores, if I could help it. Down In The Valley (a known new/used store that had lots of vinyl and oddities for EPs/imports in the Twin Cities) was a favorite. I was there weekly, sometimes more often. Best Buy was simply for convenience, hence my statement about how the net is killing them now. It's convenience. Same price (or gasp, cheaper?!) than BB? And I don't have to leave my home to make a purchase? Sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Truth.

Not that I really buy any music anymore, but it was usually indie stores, if I could help it. Down In The Valley (a known new/used store that had lots of vinyl and oddities for EPs/imports in the Twin Cities) was a favorite. I was there weekly, sometimes more often. Best Buy was simply for convenience, hence my statement about how the net is killing them now. It's convenience. Same price (or gasp, cheaper?!) than BB? And I don't have to leave my home to make a purchase? Sold.
                              It's a lot like supermarkets. Most people do the vast majority of their grocery shopping at supermarkets, but we still know that if we want REALLY good food, we go to a butcher, bakery, produce market or farmer's market, etc. The little stores will always exist, because there will always be a few people who insist on them. I wonder, are there enough people who refuse to shop online to ensure that one or two big box stores stay in business? I suspect so, but who knows?

Comment

I used to. I finally broke down and bought an ipod last year and now can't imagine ever buying another CD.

The bigger question is what to do with the 3500 cds that I have and are now on a hard drive for my iTunes.

On the subject of Best Buy rewards... I also decline them each time. When they ask, and they ALWAYS ask, I tell them that it's a waste of time and my time is worth more than the value of the crappy points. They haven't been trained yet as to how to overcome that objection.

Used to be a decent program. Now a waste and a hassle.

Comment

Working...
                                X