Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Hockey Offseason Thread - That was fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union Hockey Offseason Thread - That was fun...

AHA composite schedule is out and Union is playing at AIC and UConn. I'm extremely unhappy that Union scheduled these games, there's nothing to gain out of either of them. Nobody should be playing at AIC for a non-conference game, no matter how many home games we got out of them the last few seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
      AHA composite schedule is out and Union is playing at AIC and UConn. I'm extremely unhappy that Union scheduled these games, there's nothing to gain out of either of them. Nobody should be playing at AIC for a non-conference game, no matter how many home games we got out of them the last few seasons.
      I think as far as UConn is concerned, we dropped the game with them for Merrimack last year after it was on the schedule.

On a separate note, the Garnet Blades golf tournament on May 18th at Mohawk looks like a sell out. Dinner only tickets are still available. There are going to be a bunch of great items for live and silient auction.

Comment

I'm extremely unhappy that Union scheduled these games, there's nothing to gain out of either of them. Nobody should be playing at AIC for a non-conference game
        Ok, now take out AIC and put in Brown / Providence / UAA (assuming they don't have the exemption) / Minnesota State / Bowling Green / UAH, etc. and you see that there is an attitude issue within the college hockey community.

The example doesn't even have to be that extreme, it could also be (insert NCHC / B1G team) shouldn't be playing road games at (non-BU / BC / Cornell). I'm not trying to pick on you, but home games provide revenue, revenue improves facilities or recruiting opportunities or secondary coach quality, etc. Every team needs money, not just the good ones. Actively campaigning to reduce the number of home games that other teams get to play (especially the ones that are really struggling) seems excessively cold-hearted.
        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
          Ok, now take out AIC and put in Brown / Providence / UAA (assuming they don't have the exemption) / Minnesota State / Bowling Green / UAH, etc. and you see that there is an attitude issue within the college hockey community.

The example doesn't even have to be that extreme, it could also be (insert NCHC / B1G team) shouldn't be playing road games at (non-BU / BC / Cornell). I'm not trying to pick on you, but home games provide revenue, revenue improves facilities or recruiting opportunities or secondary coach quality, etc. Every team needs money, not just the good ones. Actively campaigning to reduce the number of home games that other teams get to play (especially the ones that are really struggling) seems excessively cold-hearted.
          Good point. We always complain that the Michigans, Denvers, NDs, etc. won't give us a home game. Seems the same here in reverse. Sometimes it's just the right thing to do. Besides, IIRC, both of those teams played us pretty tough in their last visits.

On a separate note, it looks like there is actually a chance that the full face shields are on the way out. http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._than_ever.php

Comment

Actually I feel quite the opposite.. I'm just as glad I won't have to watch a home game with AIC or UConn. There are always going to be 3-4 AHA games on Union's schedule and I don't have a problem with some of them being on the road. Hopefully means more open home dates for games with the bigger leagues. Also, UConn has been a consistent opponent ever since Leaman took over and there has been pretty good reciprocity on the home & away games.. and with UConn possibly moving to HE, this is good relationship to continue. As for the here & now, if Union can't beat these teams on the road, then it should be a lesson learned to not take anyone for granted.
            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

As of now, I think Union has 13 projected home games.... really hoping for a couple more......

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                As of now, I think Union has 13 projected home games.... really hoping for a couple more......
                14 actually, but who's counting.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                  Well yeah.. and 11 of them are league games. More to the point, would be nice to have more than 3 non-conf home games. I guess that so far have 2 with Penn State and 1 with Merrimack, would also expect Army since they have been a constant..
                  Last edited by ADK11; 05-05-2012, 12:12 PM.

Comment

More from Ken Schott on recruit Andrew Johnston's on going post season play.

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...umboldt-to-wi/

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                      More from Ken Schott on recruit Andrew Johnston's on going post season play.

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...umboldt-to-wi/
                      Still more heroics from Mr. Johnston.
                      http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...play-goal-in-/

Comment

Mr. Johnston may be doing too well (from Union's perspective).. article below says he is getting NHL interest. This happened to an SLU recruit a couple seasons ago, so is not an impossibility. Hopefully he chooses getting an education and developing more. This would be a big loss.
                        http://www.thestarphoeni*****/sports...524/story.html

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                          Mr. Johnston may be doing too well (from Union's perspective).. article below says he is getting NHL interest. This happened to an SLU recruit a couple seasons ago, so is not an impossibility. Hopefully he chooses getting an education and developing more. This would be a big loss.
                          http://www.thestarphoeni*****/sports...524/story.html
                          I guess that's what happens when you start swimming with the real big fish. Let's hope he remains as enamored of Union as he did last summer. On another note, yet again a reference to a "full ride" scholarship.

Comment

Yet another Andrew Johnston update from Ken Schott. http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...oyal-bank-cup/

Comment

Humboldt just lost to Woodstock (Maritimes JHL) in the semis of the RBC Cup. Johnston had 2 assists in the game and ends the tourney with 9 points in 5 games. In 28 league and RBC playoff games, Johnston scored 21 goals - a pretty amazing stat. The waiting now begins to see if he comes to Union..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                                Humboldt just lost to Woodstock (Maritimes JHL) in the semis of the RBC Cup. Johnston had 2 assists in the game and ends the tourney with 9 points in 5 games. In 28 league and RBC playoff games, Johnston scored 21 goals - a pretty amazing stat. The waiting now begins to see if he comes to Union..
                                Let's hope he follows Jeremy Welsh who came in off a spectacular RBC Cup series and did pretty well for himself at U.

Comment

Working...
                                X