Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Hockey Offseason Thread - That was fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union Hockey Offseason Thread - That was fun...

There was a blurb about Welsh in the new THN magazine, where he is referred to as "a Ferris State product". Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
      Ken Schott: Union hosting Merrmiack, Sat Oct 6
      That will probably mean no Garnet / White scrimmage since I don't think practice starts until October 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        That will probably mean no Garnet / White scrimmage since I don't think practice starts until October 1.
        Would they hold the scrimmage on Friday?
        Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

Originally posted by Goaliefan View Post
          Would they hold the scrimmage on Friday?
          The coaches aren't allowed to even hold any sort of official event (including practice) prior to October 6th. Source is http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D112.pdf bylaw 17.12.2 and 17.12.3. I realize this is last year's rule book, but next year's hasn't been released, and I highly doubt this rule will change.

Comment

Well, I guess that means no scrimmage. Thanks for the insight. I didn't realize they were so precise.
            Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

Originally posted by Goaliefan View Post
              Well, I guess that means no scrimmage. Thanks for the insight. I didn't realize they were so precise.
              That doesn't mean they can't scrimmage. They could just have the scrimmage on, say, the 8th or 9th.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                The coaches aren't allowed to even hold any sort of official event (including practice) prior to October 6th. Source is http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D112.pdf bylaw 17.12.2 and 17.12.3. I realize this is last year's rule book, but next year's hasn't been released, and I highly doubt this rule will change.
                So how can they open the season with a game on the 6th?

Comment

So how can they open the season with a game on the 6th?
                  It's 25 weeks (minus the week break you get around Christmas) from the National Championship game that year.

Comment

It's 25 weeks (minus the week break you get around Christmas) from the National Championship game that year.
                    It's 25 weeks from the start of the NCAA tournament to be precise.. though the math works out the same. But I'm not understanding what you're saying about Christmas - does that week not count toward the 25?
                    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                      It's 25 weeks from the start of the NCAA tournament to be precise.. though the math works out the same. But I'm not understanding what you're saying about Christmas - does that week not count toward the 25?
                      This stems from how one of the Alaska teams was able to play on September 30th this past year.

Now I know what it was, Bylaw 17.27.1:

17.27.1 Practice and Playing Seasons. Member institutions located in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico
                      shall not be required to observe the starting dates for the practice and playing seasons set forth in this bylaw, provided
                      the amount of practice and number of contests engaged in by such institutions in each sport do not exceed
                      the amount of practice and number of contests in each sport permitted other members of the Association.
                      As for the "break", you're only allowed to have your season within a 132-day period (18 6/7 weeks, including practices and games, minus travel days, final exams, things like that, see bylaw 17.1.6.4 for all the exceptions).

Comment

This stems from how one of the Alaska teams was able to play on September 30th this past year. Now I know what it was, Bylaw 17.27.1: As for the "break", you're only allowed to have your season within a 132-day period (18 6/7 weeks, including practices and games, minus travel days, final exams, things like that, see bylaw 17.1.6.4 for all the exceptions).
                        Wow! You have to be a tax accountant to keep track of all this.. but so the bottom line is some teams will play games on October 6th without having even one organized practice (unless they have it the morning of the game)
                        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Wow! You have to be a tax accountant to keep track of all this.. but so the bottom line is some teams will play games on October 6th without having even one organized practice (unless they have it the morning of the game)
                          At least one that is led by the coaching staff at a school-sanctioned location.

Comment

There can be captain's practices earlier, and IIRC the coaches can meet with small groups of players earlier also.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              There can be captain's practices earlier, and IIRC the coaches can meet with small groups of players earlier also.
                              Correct. IIRC, coaches can meet for a limited numober of sessions, with a limited number of players. Captains can (and do) run practices otherwise.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

OK, here's a kind of serious question. If you could name three things that you would like to see improved at Messa rink, what would be on your wish list? Cruise missile hit, arson and gas main explosion aren't acceptable answers.
                                Well for starters -- building, fire and ADA code compliance would be a great 1st step.

But really, I don't think its worth spending too much on a building whose design (round, low ceiling) is fatally flawed for a rink. The Admin dropped the ball years ago when they still had Center City rink in town. Even if the consensus was against using a renovated center city as the new home, they could've used it while they knocked down Achilles and built new on campus. I do of course understand that the institutional support and on-ice success wasnt what it is today.
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X