Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Hockey Offseason Thread - That was fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union Hockey Offseason Thread - That was fun...

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Having had some experience with this in the past, don't start celebrating until you see him in a Union jersey in October. Jerry D'Amigo also said he'd be back around this time two years ago.
    That was a very different situation. D'Amigo was already drafted and Toronto was desperate to sign any prospect with a pulse.. a very unfortunate situation for RPI (and equally unfortunate decision by D'Amigo) IMO. I suspect that Union's coaches asked Troy straight out if he had made a decision on this, since there would be no reason to actively recruit a goaltender otherwise and nobody is waiting in the wings to come early like Stevens did. Grosenick also places a high value on getting his education (he considered abandoning hockey to go to college before deciding to play juniors) so no reason to think that he didn't consider this carefully. Yes, anything could happen, but I think the chances are extremely slim an NHL team would make him an offer he couldn't refuse.

..which means I can blow out my votive candles and breathe a sigh of relief! This is great news and means that Union should have excellent defense & goaltending next season, which usually makes it easier to win games. However, there will definitely be challenges for the team to return to the same level as this season's team. Zajac and Welsh were a huge part of Union's offense and PP. Welsh in particular was that special forward that could take over a game with his physical presence and make big plays against ANYONE - something that Union has never had and is crucial in the postseason. The two of them were also key on faceoffs and penalty killing. There are many good forwards returning and a couple freshmen that should contribute, so the cupboard is not bare, but expectations and pressure on the team will be higher and U will consistently see A games from opponents.. still I can't wait for next season already!

..and in case anyone was wondering, I am planning to do my annual summary of next year's incoming freshmen soon. I was trying to decide if I should wait for the official announcement first, but last year that did not happen until fairly late in the summer so hope to roll it out in the next week or 2.
    Last edited by ADK11; 08-31-2012, 09:57 PM.
    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
      ..and in case anyone was wondering, I am planning to do my annual summary of next year's incoming freshmen soon. I was trying to decide if I should wait for the official announcement first, but last year that did not happen until fairly late in the summer so hope to roll it out in the next week or 2.
      I was wondering and am looking forward to your analysis.

Comment

It should be a good read, so l'll be awaiting it as well.

Comment

The Schenectady City Council will honor the team at their 7 PM meeting tonight, says WTEN.

Comment

City Council recognition ceremony footage: http://youtu.be/658RcAUdEnI

Taylor Reid represents the program well.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
              City Council recognition ceremony footage: http://youtu.be/658RcAUdEnI

Taylor Reid represents the program well.
              I thought I heard that Jim Tedisco '72 is going to arrange for a similar ceremony at the NYS Assembly in Albany.

Comment

OK, here's a kind of serious question. If you could name three things that you would like to see improved at Messa rink, what would be on your wish list? Cruise missile hit, arson and gas main explosion aren't acceptable answers.

Comment

1) More comfortable seating - The old wooden bleachers aren't exactly comfortable. Maybe more modern plastic ones would be a little more comfortable. Could have one side of the place have black colored bleachers, the other side garnet bleachers. Wooden bleachers are kind of drab and colors would spice the place up. All seats having backs would be even better... the few chair backs now aren't much better than the existing bleachers. If someone's body doesn't fit nicely into the contours of the existing chairback seats, it's pretty rough. Thompson Arena has a nice layout - rows of flat seating with backs that have good height to them: http://i45.tinypic.com/34y5zpf.jpg

2) A video board - Quite a few times, I wished I could have seen a goal again.

I'll think of a third one later
                  Last edited by rdf8585; 04-27-2012, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                    1) More comfortable seating - The old wooden bleachers aren't exactly comfortable. Maybe more modern plastic ones would be a little more comfortable. Could have one side of the place have black colored bleachers, the other side garnet bleachers. Wooden bleachers are kind of drab and colors would spice the place up. All seats having backs would be even better... the few chair backs now aren't much better than the existing bleachers. If someone's body doesn't fit nicely into the contours of the existing chairback seats, it's pretty rough. Thompson Arena has a nice layout - rows of flat seating with backs that have good height to them: http://i45.tinypic.com/34y5zpf.jpg

2) A video board - Quite a few times, I wished I could have seen a goal again.

I'll think of a third one later
                    Has Messa gotten a second zamboni yet? That would be useful when one ingests a t-shirt.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Here are my top 3:

1. Seating / Accessibility
                      2. Rest rooms
                      3. Audio / video

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                        OK, here's a kind of serious question. If you could name three things that you would like to see improved at Messa rink, what would be on your wish list? Cruise missile hit, arson and gas main explosion aren't acceptable answers.
                        Atomic bomb.

In all seriousness, the biggest thing is to find mall cops that don't think they're all that and practically abuse visitors.

Comment

#1 - Better more comfortable seating. The "box seats" are designed for the body of a 10-year old and don't remotely fit an average size adult, let alone a larger than average size. Same thing for the bleachers plus no backs. It was all sort of fine when there was seldom more than 1200 fans in the place, but now with bigger crowds it gets very oppressive. It is time to get rid of the retractable bleachers concept (a remnant of the original rink costs going over budget and the idea of making it a multi-use facility) and install more permanent seating.

#2 - Better/bigger bathrooms & more easily accessible concessions.. nuff said.

#3 - Better ice. This is a pet peeve of mine and I know this isn't really a fan amenity, but it drives me crazy to see the puck bouncing & skipping when the weather is warm late in the season & post season. The upgrades done about 10 years ago replaced the refrigeration system but did not replace the pipes and flooring under the ice. IMO this was like replacing a car's engine but keeping the same 35 year old bald tires.
                          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Some recruit news from Ken Schott.

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...umboldt-to-an/

Comment

Is the roof even high enough in Messa to make a video board feasible?

It seems like better seating is a common thread so far.

Another thing on the seating - besides being generally uncomfortable, especially on the busier nights, the current seating pattern confuses a lot of people. It's a given that I see people in the wrong section because the layout confuses them. Not that I blame them. And if we're sticking with bleachers, do away with assigned seating in the bleachers. Bleachers should be general admission, sit where you want.

Comment

Ken Schott: Union hosting Merrmiack, Sat Oct 6

Comment

Working...
                                X