Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Union Hockey Offseason Thread - That was fun...

The Merchant of Truth

Re: Union Hockey Offseason Thread - That was fun...

Looks like St, Clooud will not be playing in the Catamount Cup. You'll be facing a different opponent on that second day.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

USCHO Poser of the Year Championships: 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Just assume I'm being an idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxton View Post
    Hey, you're actually correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.

Zajac signs 1 year AHL deal with Devils - http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...another_level/

Ken Schott reports that the TUC in Albany will be bidding for the return of the ECAC championships starting in 2014. For all of its shortcomings, does anyone not think that Albany would not be a much better alternative than Atlantic City? Maybe if it returns to Albany, the local officials and businesses and even the fans might support it more vigorously. http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...ckey-tourname/

Albany makes the most sense based on location, which helps attendance by itself. Going by that article, even the low point in Albany (9,100, 2009) outdrew Atlantic City by about 1500 people.

But it's also going to be very important for attendance for Union and/or RPI to be contenders. The last time it was here (2003-2010) were mostly lean to very lean years for both programs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only time either local school made the ECAC final four in that span was Union in 2010. That was a killer. Having a local school involved helps bring out the more casual fan.

Union '01

Quote Originally Posted by Wholin1 View Post
    Ken Schott reports that the TUC in Albany will be bidding for the return of the ECAC championships starting in 2014. For all of its shortcomings, does anyone not think that Albany would not be a much better alternative than Atlantic City? Maybe if it returns to Albany, the local officials and businesses and even the fans might support it more vigorously. http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...ckey-tourname/
    Most interesting part of that article to me was the Union-Harvard final ever so slightly outdrew Cornell-Yale the year before. Given that Cornell is well known as a good travelling team.

No real surprise, Albany will be rebidding, aren't the league offices still in the TUC?
    Last edited by Rolevio; 04-19-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    National Champions 2014!
    Cleary Cup Champions 2011, 2012, 2014!
    Whitelaw Cup Champions 2012, 2014!!!
    Let's Go U!!!

They are still in the TUC.

Grosenick officially back in the fall: http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...junior-season/

Quote Originally Posted by rdf8585 View Post
    Grosenick officially back in the fall: http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...junior-season/
    I can't say as I am that surprised, but certainly it's great to know he will be back. Keith Kinkaid in my view left too early and tailed off significantly under the grind of the pro season. He still may develop as a pro, but what if he doesn't? Education is obviously a priority to Troy.

My thought had been he'd return for his junior year, and if all went well, go pro next spring. He would be 23 next spring and 24 in the summer of 2013.

Stevens would then have two years to start.

The Merchant of Truth

Having had some experience with this in the past, don't start celebrating until you see him in a Union jersey in October. Jerry D'Amigo also said he'd be back around this time two years ago.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

USCHO Poser of the Year Championships: 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Just assume I'm being an idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxton View Post
    Hey, you're actually correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Having had some experience with this in the past, don't start celebrating until you see him in a Union jersey in October. Jerry D'Amigo also said he'd be back around this time two years ago.
    That was a very different situation. D'Amigo was already drafted and Toronto was desperate to sign any prospect with a pulse.. a very unfortunate situation for RPI (and equally unfortunate decision by D'Amigo) IMO. I suspect that Union's coaches asked Troy straight out if he had made a decision on this, since there would be no reason to actively recruit a goaltender otherwise and nobody is waiting in the wings to come early like Stevens did. Grosenick also places a high value on getting his education (he considered abandoning hockey to go to college before deciding to play juniors) so no reason to think that he didn't consider this carefully. Yes, anything could happen, but I think the chances are extremely slim an NHL team would make him an offer he couldn't refuse.

..which means I can blow out my votive candles and breathe a sigh of relief! This is great news and means that Union should have excellent defense & goaltending next season, which usually makes it easier to win games. However, there will definitely be challenges for the team to return to the same level as this season's team. Zajac and Welsh were a huge part of Union's offense and PP. Welsh in particular was that special forward that could take over a game with his physical presence and make big plays against ANYONE - something that Union has never had and is crucial in the postseason. The two of them were also key on faceoffs and penalty killing. There are many good forwards returning and a couple freshmen that should contribute, so the cupboard is not bare, but expectations and pressure on the team will be higher and U will consistently see A games from opponents.. still I can't wait for next season already!

..and in case anyone was wondering, I am planning to do my annual summary of next year's incoming freshmen soon. I was trying to decide if I should wait for the official announcement first, but last year that did not happen until fairly late in the summer so hope to roll it out in the next week or 2.
    Last edited by ADK11; 08-31-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..
    WWSD - What Would Scooby Doo?

Quote Originally Posted by ADK11 View Post
    ..and in case anyone was wondering, I am planning to do my annual summary of next year's incoming freshmen soon. I was trying to decide if I should wait for the official announcement first, but last year that did not happen until fairly late in the summer so hope to roll it out in the next week or 2.
    I was wondering and am looking forward to your analysis.

It should be a good read, so l'll be awaiting it as well.

The Schenectady City Council will honor the team at their 7 PM meeting tonight, says WTEN.

City Council recognition ceremony footage: http://youtu.be/658RcAUdEnI

Taylor Reid represents the program well.

City Council recognition ceremony footage: http://youtu.be/658RcAUdEnI

Taylor Reid represents the program well.
    I thought I heard that Jim Tedisco '72 is going to arrange for a similar ceremony at the NYS Assembly in Albany.

OK, here's a kind of serious question. If you could name three things that you would like to see improved at Messa rink, what would be on your wish list? Cruise missile hit, arson and gas main explosion aren't acceptable answers.

1) More comfortable seating - The old wooden bleachers aren't exactly comfortable. Maybe more modern plastic ones would be a little more comfortable. Could have one side of the place have black colored bleachers, the other side garnet bleachers. Wooden bleachers are kind of drab and colors would spice the place up. All seats having backs would be even better... the few chair backs now aren't much better than the existing bleachers. If someone's body doesn't fit nicely into the contours of the existing chairback seats, it's pretty rough. Thompson Arena has a nice layout - rows of flat seating with backs that have good height to them: http://i45.tinypic.com/34y5zpf.jpg

2) A video board - Quite a few times, I wished I could have seen a goal again.

I'll think of a third one later
    Last edited by rdf8585; 04-27-2012 at 04:05 AM.

1) More comfortable seating - The old wooden bleachers aren't exactly comfortable. Maybe more modern plastic ones would be a little more comfortable. Could have one side of the place have black colored bleachers, the other side garnet bleachers. Wooden bleachers are kind of drab and colors would spice the place up. All seats having backs would be even better... the few chair backs now aren't much better than the existing bleachers. If someone's body doesn't fit nicely into the contours of the existing chairback seats, it's pretty rough. Thompson Arena has a nice layout - rows of flat seating with backs that have good height to them: http://i45.tinypic.com/34y5zpf.jpg

2) A video board - Quite a few times, I wished I could have seen a goal again.

I'll think of a third one later
    Has Messa gotten a second zamboni yet? That would be useful when one ingests a t-shirt.

Here are my top 3:

1. Seating / Accessibility
    2. Rest rooms
    3. Audio / video

Thread Information