Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NMU Offseason: Forget bikes, we're stealing a Karr...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NMU Offseason: Forget bikes, we're stealing a Karr...

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    I don't think Les rushed the process at all. I think the committee did a great job presenting great candidates. I also applaud Les for not pushing ahead once he became a finalist as SF State. It's critical that the incoming President have a say in the hire. I think that this situation has been very well handled by all parties involved.
    I would hope professionally he did not but there was a lot on his mind. I think the vetting process did most of the work anyway. Regardless the new guy should take a look, not to mention some of the Ad candidates may want to discuss things to know if anything has changed.

Comment

I guess what I fear is that Haynes isn't going to like any of the three selected candidates and either re-opens the position to a search again, or he cherry picks who he wants for the AD position.

How long has the Provost position been open? I would think that's the primary concern as it should be. While I greedily want the AD selection to be fast and the best of the three, athletics isn't priority one.

Interesting discussion in the UAH thread regarding Haynes, the AD selection, the New WCHA and UAH. We may just be the lynchpin...

*edit* And correct me if I'm wrong, but Haynes doesn't take control till Wong leaves, right? So any decisions he has on staffing have to wait until then? So we'd be looking at no announcement until August?
      Last edited by aparch; 05-25-2012, 11:45 PM.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Interesting discussion in the UAH thread regarding Haynes, the AD selection, the New WCHA and UAH. We may just be the lynchpin...
        I may be wish casting, of course. After all, I though UAH could get 10 wins last year. [I just read that in the topic I created for 11-12. I'm embarrassed.]

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

I guess what I fear is that Haynes isn't going to like any of the three selected candidates and either re-opens the position to a search again, or he cherry picks who he wants for the AD position.

How long has the Provost position been open? I would think that's the primary concern as it should be. While I greedily want the AD selection to be fast and the best of the three, athletics isn't priority one.

*edit* And correct me if I'm wrong, but Haynes doesn't take control till Wong leaves, right? So any decisions he has on staffing have to wait until then? So we'd be looking at no announcement until August?
          Haynes is in charge.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Wed @ 10am the new AD will be.............

Comment

DavyD posted an update on Facebook that the candidate was seen around campus this weekend, and it wasn't Diles. That leaves Karr or Johnson.

We'll all find out tomorrow as Giwan stated.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

DavyD posted an update on Facebook that the candidate was seen around campus this weekend, and it wasn't Diles. That leaves Karr or Johnson.

We'll all find out tomorrow as Giwan stated.
                Never said around campus. Around town!
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  Never said around campus. Around town!
                  So look for Dakota or Alaska plates

Comment

We're 10 minutes from the start of the AD announcement, and we'll see if my thread title is right.

Broadcast is streaming online at: radioeaglesports.com (Nice website btw DavyD, easy to get to what you want)
                    Live tweeting from: @mattwellens and @Wildcat_Dave

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

David Haynes has kind words to say to the whole Athletic Department for stepping up and taking over during Ken Godfrey's absence. Also said he called Dr. Wong to discuss this pick and Dr. Wong is excited about the candidate.

And the selection is:

Forrest Karr

Karr's title will be Director of Athletics, Recreation, and USOEC. He will also carry the title of special assistant to the President.

Will start officially on the job June 11th.

David Haynes stumbled over discussing the hockey program, as Karr will join Haynes, Kyle, and Kyle in Detroit on June 12th as league meetings (CCHA?) will take place in Detroit.

Also, Haynes sounded way overly enthusiastic while discussing Karr's leadership during UAF's lone NCAA tournament appearance.
                      Last edited by aparch; 05-30-2012, 09:09 AM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Forest Karr is currently in California (DII AD's meeting for Western Conference teams), but is participating in this conference via Skype.

Hooray for being an internet/wired campus!

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

DavyD asks the first question during the open Q/A session. Asked Haynes what put Karr ahead of the rest.

Haynes said that he will not disparage the other candidates, but Dr. Wong and Haynes wanted someone who was good at being an all around Athletic Director along with a marketing skill. Wants to use sports as a marketing tool to draw fans, students, supporters in.

Made an analogy stating that the University is like a big house, and the sports are the front porch, visible by everyone and draws people into the house. Haynes wanted someone who would make that front porch the best it could be.

Casey Ford with a question to Karr: Wanted to know if the change in leadership was frustrating. Karr said no, he knew of the potential of this position back in January during an NCAA convention, and knew that Dr. Wong leaving causes issues, and had no problem waiting.

Haynes followed up by stating that he wanted to take some time to decide, but also had a few people tell him that if it is already set, why not make the decision to make his transition smoother.

ABC10's sports guy asks Karr why he wanted this position. Karr said that he's noticed a lot of similarities between UAF and NMU, and he'll be able to take his skills from UAF and help NMU. Also stated that UAF had a smaller staff () and he's excited about coming to a bigger program.

TV6 up next: Ask's Karr about the unique opportunities available with NMU. Karr says he's looking forward to having a football program; a bigger athletic department staff; the "great mix of proven coaches on staff, and the up-and-coming coaches;"
                          His goals are to be a perennial top-20 University. He sees a lot of opportunities to work with the community and to build the programs.

Didn't catch who asked the next question, but Karr was asked what his first order of business will be at NMU. Karr says: He's gotten a lot of e-mails and calls from fans, donors, corporate sponsors. First thing he wants is to schedule a final football game for the 2013 schedule, he needs to bring in a non-conference opponent. He wants to approach the top 20 or 30 influential donors in the community to work with them. Also wants to create a "Game-Plan" (idea taken from the U.of Wisconsin) where they look at the last five years and set goals for the future.

His big point though? He needs to just sit back and listen, learn the culture, learn the history, and gather information to put the best decisions forward.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Oh, and a correction to an earlier post. The league meetings in Detroit this June are for the WCHA.

Read into that what you will...

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

DavyD hosting the post announcement interviews.

First talked with Haynes, where Haynes gushed about the decision, and how passionate the fans, staff, and community were for this announcement.

Now talking to Walt Kyle. Kyle stated how similar how UAF and NMU are. Walt mentioned how Karr told him "you know, we've been in a lot of fights together, but we've been on the same side," when discussing operating as a Division II school with one Division I sport (Hockey for both schools)

Walt has nothing but good things to say for Haynes. Yeah, yeah, Haynes is his boss and all, but we all know how Walt can say a lot without saying much.

DavyD mentions the addition of a "game-day" atmosphere around campus during sports, and Walt says that it's been something that's been lacking the whole time he's been here.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Have the NMU Campus Safety or Marquette Police discovered that we stole a Karr yet?
                                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Working...
                                X