Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NMU Offseason: Forget bikes, we're stealing a Karr...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NMU Offseason: Forget bikes, we're stealing a Karr...

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Dumb question about the Resch Center.... Would a Packer home game have any effect on dates at the Resch? Planning on Green Bay anyways, but the Packers are gonna host Jacksonville this season as well... I'm hoping to hit all 3 games in the same weekend...

Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if I should just book a room now and let the rest figure itself out... I'm sure a Packer game at Lambeau would make that weekend a C-F for those of us coming from out of town....
    A Packer game would have no effect on the dates. With the NFL schedule set to come out next week, book your room and book it NOW. Because if there's a Packer game, you'll find room rates doubled with a 2 or 3 night minimum to boot.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

If Karr gets the NMU job I'll be happy for him. He's had his ups and downs at UAF but he is also a quality human being and a genuinely nice guy.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Big weekend for the alums in the AHL. Here are the current AHL Eastern Conference Standings:

Everyone from first through sixth have already clinched. No NMU alumni on those teams.
        Team............................Yet to Play.....Points.... Alumni
        7 Syracuse Crunch .......... 3 games ........ 80 .... Tuomas Tarkki's little brother Iiro plays here.
        8 Portland Pirates ............ 2 games ........ 79 .... Nathan Oystrick
        -----Cutoff for playoffs-----
        9 Manchester Monarchs .... 3 games ........77 .... Ray Kaunisto
        10 Adirondack Phantoms ... 3 games ........ 76 .... Erik Gustafsson
        11 Providence Bruins ........ 3 games ........ 75 .... Justin Florek

Only a maximum of two can make it. Here are the schedules this weekend:
        Syracuse - Rochester, Connecticut, Albany
        Portland - Hershey, Providence
        Manchester - Connecticut, Hershey, St. Johns
        Adirondack - Springfield, Worcester, Norfolk
        Providence - Bridgeport, Albany, Portland

Big final matchup for what could be 8th place on Sunday between Oystrick and Florek.
        Last edited by aparch; 04-13-2012, 09:30 AM.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Are we playing @ NoDak this year or next year?
          Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
          1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
          2006-2007: 15-24-2
          2007-2008: 20-20-4
          2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Next year
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Big weekend for the alums in the AHL. Here are the current AHL Eastern Conference Standings:

Everyone from first through sixth have already clinched. No NMU alumni on those teams.
              Team............................Yet to Play.....Points.... Alumni
              7 Syracuse Crunch .......... 3 games ........ 80 .... Tuomas Tarkki's little brother Iiro plays here.
              8 Portland Pirates ............ 2 games ........ 79 .... Nathan Oystrick
              -----Cutoff for playoffs-----
              9 Manchester Monarchs .... 3 games ........77 .... Ray Kaunisto
              10 Adirondack Phantoms ... 3 games ........ 76 .... Erik Gustafsson
              11 Providence Bruins ........ 3 games ........ 75 .... Justin Florek

Only a maximum of two can make it. Here are the schedules this weekend:
              Syracuse - Rochester, Connecticut, Albany
              Portland - Hershey, Providence
              Manchester - Connecticut, Hershey, St. Johns
              Adirondack - Springfield, Worcester, Norfolk
              Providence - Bridgeport, Albany, Portland

Big final matchup for what could be 8th place on Sunday between Oystrick and Florek.
              From the AHL Transactions wire:

04/08/2012 Justin Florek (F) Providence DEL Released from ATO

Comment

I got scared for Florek when I read that, but then I read somewhere that it is just so he can finish school. Looking forward to following him next year.
                2004 Alumni. Season Ticket holder since 2004. Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by mattheinzel View Post
                  I got scared for Florek when I read that, but then I read somewhere that it is just so he can finish school. Looking forward to following him next year.
                  His Boston contract starts next year. He was on an Amateur Tryout Agreement (ATO) with Providence. They wanted him to get a taste of the AHL, while still being able to finish his schooling.

Comment

Good news: Green Bay Packets are on the road the weekend NMU plays Wisconsin in Green Bay!

Comment

Big list of reading material for those keeping up in the AD search. David Diles was next up to be grilled by NMU, NMU's fans, and Marquette media.

Matt Wellens of the Mining Journal has some great stories:
                      http://miningjournal.net/page/conten....html?nav=5075
                      Diles has proved to be a strong fundraiser during his 18 years as an AD, whether it was at cash-strapped St. Bonaventure or at Case Western Reserve, which has an endowment of over $1.5 billion, according to Diles.

Now Diles hopes to become the next athletic director at Northern Michigan University. He'll be visiting campus on Tuesday with a public presentation scheduled for 3 p.m. in the Pioneer Rooms of the University Center.

"I have a goal here to make sure our financial future is secure in that we're not always looking to the institution to solve our problems. We are the institution so we have to solve it," said Diles, whose wife, Suzanne, grew up in Iron Mountain.

"I've been a builder throughout my career. I think that's where I am best. I've never been in an AD position where you are in the unquestioned position of resource leadership and you have an abundance of resources and tradition on your side. I've been a builder with a little bit of a roll-up-your-sleeves, can-do spirit."

Diles has been a busy builder this year at Case Western Reserve by securing $49,000 worth of funding for a new softball scoreboard, $65,000 for a baseball scoreboard and the final installment of a $4 million gift for the Spartans new varsity field house.

The university - which has over a $1.5 billion endowment of its own - also set up three endowments of $25,000 each for softball and volleyball, plus $30,000 for the club rowing team.
                      Lots of good discussion from both candidates so far, with Sean Johnson scheduled to visit Marquette still. His pre-trip bio here:

So far Karr and Diles have both positives and weaknesses, but from the initial description would be beneficial to have on staff. Diles (and I assume Johnson) are more across the board athletically, where Karr is more focused on hockey.

I do hope that the rest of the athletic department and general campus boards are listening to what all three candidates have to offer, because ideas that are shared publicly by all three so far need to be implemented to help NMU expand and support the athletic programs. Everything I've read from all these candidates of what they've done at their prior Universities are all things that need to be implemented to move NMU forward.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Big list of reading material for those keeping up in the AD search. David Diles was next up to be grilled by NMU, NMU's fans, and Marquette media.

Matt Wellens of the Mining Journal has some great stories:

Lots of good discussion from both candidates so far, with Sean Johnson scheduled to visit Marquette still. His pre-trip bio here:

So far Karr and Diles have both positives and weaknesses, but from the initial description would be beneficial to have on staff. Diles (and I assume Johnson) are more across the board athletically, where Karr is more focused on hockey.

I do hope that the rest of the athletic department and general campus boards are listening to what all three candidates have to offer, because ideas that are shared publicly by all three so far need to be implemented to help NMU expand and support the athletic programs. Everything I've read from all these candidates of what they've done at their prior Universities are all things that need to be implemented to move NMU forward.
                        Why do you infer that Karr is more focused on hockey? Though he played college hockey, if you took that fact away, then heard his presentation, I didn't find any indication that he was more focused on that over other sports. In fact, of the sports, I thought he talked most about football. BTW, Johnson's presentation will be available on line at RadioEagleSports.com

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          Why do you infer that Karr is more focused on hockey? Though he played college hockey, if you took that fact away, then heard his presentation, I didn't find any indication that he was more focused on that over other sports. In fact, of the sports, I thought he talked most about football. BTW, Johnson's presentation will be available on line at RadioEagleSports.com
                          It's the stigma that I still have of him even after his presentation given. Maybe it's the fact that he's been so closely tied to the CCHA and WCHA committees?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            From the AHL Transactions wire:

04/08/2012 Justin Florek (F) Providence DEL Released from ATO
                            Not only that, but that game wasn't even for the final playoff spot. Surprised you didn't nit-pick that point either.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Oh, and triple post. New recruit for NMU:

@CKM_Sports: Proud to announce @Lindores27 of the @SurreyEagles in the @bchllive has accepted a scholarship offer from @NMUHockey for the 2012 season!!!
                              Robert Lindores is a five year player in the BCHL and will be 25 in 2016, so we get him for only four years maximum.
                              Right winger who's played 207 career BCHL games, 41 goals, 56 assists, and 258 PIM accrued. Six-one and two bills. Sounds like a hard nosed gritty winger.

Just hope he doesn't gain the same reputation that Cherniwchan had. We don't need players parading to the box on their reputation alone.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Oh, and triple post. New recruit for NMU:

Robert Lindores is a five year player in the BCHL and will be 25 in 2016, so we get him for only four years maximum.
                                Right winger who's played 207 career BCHL games, 41 goals, 56 assists, and 258 PIM accrued. Six-one and two bills. Sounds like a hard nosed gritty winger.

Just hope he doesn't gain the same reputation that Cherniwchan had. We don't need players parading to the box on their reputation alone.
                                I don't know anything about the Surrey Eagles or the BCHL, but it looks like he had a very good 2011-2012 season: GP 58 G 26 A 35 T 61 P/G 1.1

Click HERE for player profile.

Good luck to him. He picked the right school!
                                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Working...
                                X