Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Evaluating Frozen Four host Tampa Bay

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    That would be more than fine with me. Make the FF like a football Bowl game and have it where the fans can be rewarded for driving in the snow and cold to games every night. Replace Anaheim with New Orleans and you got a deal.
    Exactly, many people around me suggested a rotation of Tampa, New Orleans, and Las Vegas!

I think I'll settle for Tampa every few years.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

I'm bracing myself for the post that argues that the Frozen Four should feature a three city rotation of Tampa, Miami and Anaheim.
      I totally agree - we need to throw Seattle in the rotation.
      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
        I'd do that. Have UAA host.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
          ugh. why would you want to stay at home? i really don't want boston to EVER have one again. i have stated many times i treat this like a convention. this was a great convention. got to golf. casual, comfortable shorts with no coat (left mine in the car at logan ). great variety of spas in the area too. enjoyed five great showers and rubs. i was so clean coming back - felt wonderful.
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Tampa was the best of the ten I've been to so far. A good combo of having a warm weather vacation and watching some great hockey. I get four tickets every year. This year I had people who turned down the past FF's invites wanting to go. We had a great time. I like the warm weather location idea. You have years to plan the trip so treat it like a vacation. Which is exactly what this FF felt like!

Comment

As for the cheap shot about suffering in Columbus, I'll allow that losing to UND must have been tough to take. But as for the rest of the weekend, you have only yourself to blame. While Columbus is not a prime tourist destination, there is plenty to do here over the course of a four day weekend -- as has been the case with every FF site.
              If you think I didnt enjoy Columbus because the Gophers lost to UND then that is your prerogative. I mean you are wrong but you have the right to be wrong. I thought the town was lame, the atmosphere was bunk and just the whole set up was pretty blah. I would have felt the same way had the Gophers won it all.

I dont want the Tourny in Tampa every year just like I dont want it in St. Paul every year. If a permanent rotation was set up though I would enjoy it being a part of it.

BTW the best bar we went to in Tampa was Hattricks...after the title game that place was a party
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                I don't think it is strange. We finally got a taste of what it is like to have the Frozen Four in a nice location and we have decided that we like it. Pretty simple actually. Tampa has opened our eyes to what a great experience it can be when we have a warm weather climate area that embraces the Frozen Four and makes it a huge success. And it was a huge sucess. Yeah, it technically wasn't a sellout but pretty close and the 18k+ in attendance is higher than the capacity of some recent FF host arenas. Being able to wear short sleeves and shorts, sit and have a drink and meal outside, beautiful scenery, etc. is just added value as opposed to just going to hockey games and shuffling from indoor bar to indoor bar.
                Gentry nailed it...Tampa is non traditional but they didnt act as such. Being able to walk along the river and downtown in summer clothes and watch the games in a nice venue along with that make it a win/win.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Tampa was the best I have been to and I have been to the last 19......Anahiem was the worst for many reasons other than travel time (Detroit needs no comment)......Columbus could be OK if it was moved from OSU to the pro rink.....Milwalkee was as good as the rest and Nashville would be interesting......don't forget Hatrford has a NHL building available......they all would be better if Thursday was back the way it started, a game at 1pm and a game at 7pm with seperate tickets, the way ESPN dumped the game to ESPNU shows they really don't want to do them

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    great variety of spas in the area too. Enjoyed five great showers and rubs. I was so clean coming back - felt wonderful.
                    tmi
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

• Re: Evaluating Frozen Four host Tampa Bay

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      I'd do that. Have UAA host.
                      ugh. why would you want to stay at home? i really don't want boston to EVER have one again. i have stated many times i treat this like a convention. this was a great convention. got to golf. casual, comfortable shorts with no coat (left mine in the car at logan ). great variety of spas in the area too. enjoyed five great showers and rubs. i was so clean coming back - felt wonderful.
                      That was pretty much a tongue-in-cheek comment, although Seattle does have the facilities available. Key Arena would work but isn't nearly as nice as the X, Pepsi Center, Times Forum, etc. Parking would be challenging and expensive. There are probably a lot of bars nearby, and many things to do around the games. I really liked the Tampa FF, and had a great time playing in the ocean and at Busch Gardens. It didn't hurt that I had friends to stay with.
                      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by D3 Phan View Post
                        Count me as one who stayed away due to the distance to Tampa. I've been to seven FF's, After seeing sell out's become routine, it appears some other fans
                        did the same. Bring it back to Milwaukee, St Louis, Columbus, Denver, and give Omaha a try. Why make everyone travel at least 1000 miles?
                        You're kidding, right? You complain about distance, and you want it in Denver? You're making Minnesota fans travel almost 1,000 miles if you have it there! Not to mention every fan east of Chicago (being liberal) 100% cannot drive there. No way they should go back to podunk towns like Omaha, Milwaukee, or Columbus, it's a snoozefest at best. This is the reiteration of the "they have bars and restaurants near the arena!" argument. Just no. Keep it in big time sports towns, at the very least with legitimate NHL teams.

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                        You don't suppose that the roads and traffic in Boston have any bearing upon its selection as a FF site? Driving in Boston might not keep first-time visitors away, but after the first time . . .
                        Not a chance. The advantage of Boston is you can come here and be 100% free from needing to use a car. The T is slow as balls but at least it gets you everywhere you need to go. No cab from the airport necessary, and you can easily drive to many hotels outside the downtown area and hop the train anywhere you need to go. What other recent FF city, aside from DC, has the infrastructure where you can fly/drive in and never once need to use your car to get to the games, sightsee, go out at night, and do whatever you want?
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          If you think I didnt enjoy Columbus because the Gophers lost to UND then that is your prerogative. I mean you are wrong but you have the right to be wrong. I thought the town was lame, the atmosphere was bunk and just the whole set up was pretty blah. I would have felt the same way had the Gophers won it all.
                          The right to be wrong? I'll waive the right. If I missed my guess, so be it.

As for the rest, I'm sorry Columbus didn't work out for you. But with just a little bit of legwork, there's a good four day weekend to be had at ANY of the past Frozen Four cities. In advance of the 2005 Tournament, an OSU Poster put up a detailed Visitors' Guide. There were suggestions for all ages and tastes. It made things very easy for anyone willing to give us a fair chance. Unfortunately, you can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink.

Comment

The right to be wrong? I'll waive the right. If I missed my guess, so be it.

As for the rest, I'm sorry Columbus didn't work out for you. But with just a little bit of legwork, there's a good four day weekend to be had at ANY of the past Frozen Four cities. In advance of the 2005 Tournament, an OSU Poster put up a detailed Visitors' Guide. There were suggestions for all ages and tastes. It made things very easy for anyone willing to give us a fair chance. Unfortunately, you can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink.
                            Not everyone likes tattoos...
                            Originally posted by alfablue
                            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Agree completely, FiveHole12. My only concern is that Frozen Fours continue to be held in a wide variety of locations, with the entire FF fanbase taken into account over the long run.

Don't know quite what to make of this conversation. Over the years, anyone suggesting non-traditional FF sites on USCHO took a lot of flak. Strange to see the pendulum swing so far in the other direction.
                              I think you've answered your own question. The people who didn't attend Tampa, because of cost, distance, or on principle didn't attend, and therefore aren't posting here.

Most of the people who went enjoyed it.

Seems to me what it says is that at least occasional "vacation destinations" work out, at least if it's reasonable cost wise and time wise. Anaheim was either before its time, or too far for too many people.
                              Last edited by CLS; 04-11-2012, 07:49 AM.

Comment

great variety of spas in the area too. enjoyed five great showers and rubs. i was so clean coming back - felt wonderful.
                                Since BC won, I'm glad part of your trip had a happy ending!
                                Originally posted by mookie1995
                                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Working...
                                X