Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Christ is Risen!

Originally posted by duper View Post
    I wonder if Foxton realizes how dumb that question is?
    Never has before.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
      I don't think.
      isn't that what the other posters have been maintaining all along?
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
        Do people really think they are drinking blood in church? Not likely.
        Wrong.

"Seventy-four percent of Catholics surveyed indicated a belief that the bread and wine become the body and blood of Jesus Christ."
        "Nearly six in ten Protestants (59%) surveyed expressed a belief in Transubstantiation."
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          isn't that what the other posters have been maintaining all along?
          Shame on you. You purposefully edited Foxton's comments to make a joke.

What he actually said was:
          I don't think anything
          "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
          Groucho Marx
          "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
          Ron White
          "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
          Milo Bloom

Comment

From your same link...

Christian belief in and knowledge of Transubstantiation
            The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life’s recent U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey has unearthed evidence of an identity crisis among American Catholics. “More than four-in-ten Catholics in the United States (45%) do not know that their church teaches that the bread and wine used in Communion do not merely symbolize but actually become the body and blood of Christ” (Pew, p. 8).

Other recent surveys (including CARA’s) indicate six in ten to three-quarters of Catholics believe in the Real Presence.
            So which one is it? Can't be both. Unless you're trying to say that Catholics believe something without knowing it's what the Church is teaching.

Then again, that is what faith is all about. You need to suspend what you know to be true and believe something higher.
            Last edited by Tiggsy; 04-19-2012, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Then again, that is what faith is all about. You need to suspend what you know to be true and believe something higher.
              dun Dun DUN!
              *****http://i107.***********.com/albums/m285/mcfoxton/rYVfJ.jpg******

Comment

Never believed in transsubstantiation myself, and don't know anyone that does. But I'm sure there are some very traditional Catholics and such that still do.
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Do people really think they are drinking blood in church?
                  Did someone say drinking blood in church?!

*****http://leighbardugo.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/kurgan.jpg******
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

dun Dun DUN!
                    I have to wonder what sort of trauma you experienced in church to give you such an extreme reaction to this subject.

Comment

I have to wonder what sort of trauma you experienced in church to give you such an extreme reaction to this subject.
                      He hates kittens and otters too

Comment

A sunday school teacher stole my 5$ then later called me the devil. Honestly in hindsight I feel kind of flattered about the latter. Not everyday you get confused for a supernatural being.

Because what possible reason could i have otherwise to find your faith abhorrent than some bad experience.
                        Last edited by Foxton; 04-19-2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Because what possible reason could i have otherwise to find your faith abhorrent than some bad experience.
                          Exactly my point. Why do you care what I do and don't believe? I jumped into this pretty late and am not really throwing my faith in anyone's face. I'm being pretty careful to let specifics about my own beliefs out there because it doesn't matter in the big picture and it's likely at least slightly different than everyone else.

Are you one of those people who gets offended when someone wishes you merry christmas because it's a religious holiday or see crosses for memorials on public land? You gotta lighten up if that's the case.

Comment

Exactly my point. Why do you care what I do and don't believe?
                            Was I the one to start the thread? And I just can't stand seeing people blindly follow a snake oil salesman without speaking up. Especially with the kind of vapid reasons they have given in this thread for why they do. Also, considering the current political climate where religious zealots are interested in legislating from behind the pages of a bible, there's little reason to give any of it a free pass since the people who were parroting praise at the beginning of this thread are the silent majority who give them power.

I jumped into this pretty late and am not really throwing my faith in anyone's face. I'm being pretty careful to let specifics about my own beliefs out there because it doesn't matter in the big picture and it's likely at least slightly different than everyone else.
                            Then it also doesn't matter if I point and laugh at the kid who still believes in santa claus and the easter bunny. Exactly how many supernatural claims do you hold with highest respect?

*****http://i107.***********.com/albums/m285/mcfoxton/CErFN.jpg******
                            Are you one of those people who gets offended when someone wishes you merry christmas because it's a religious holiday or see crosses for memorials on public land? You gotta lighten up if that's the case.
                            Nope, I do get offended that they think christmas has anything to do with their jewish zombie outside of the manger scene. Remember jesus is the reason for the season, if you're completely ********, and as much of a student of history as 5mn major is.

If those crosses don't come with the caveat that no other religious icon will be allowed and they'll be there forever, then no. But that would never happen, would it?

Comment

Exactly my point. Why do you care what I do and don't believe? I jumped into this pretty late and am not really throwing my faith in anyone's face. I'm being pretty careful to let specifics about my own beliefs out there because it doesn't matter in the big picture and it's likely at least slightly different than everyone else.

We've been around this bend before.Sadly the concept of live and let live is not OK when it comes to religion for Foxton. Some of the discussion is very interesting (sorry Kep) and helpful to understand why there is a negative reaction. What puzzles me is the obsessive need Foxton has to insert all this animus into a thread started for people to rejoice. There is a difference between intelligent discourse and nasty. Happens every yr. Easier to just ignore (ignore is such a lovely fieature!) the venom, read the intelligent stuff and remember what the original purpose of the thread is.

Comment

From your same link...

So which one is it? Can't be both. Unless you're trying to say that Catholics believe something without knowing it's what the Church is teaching.

My husband (Lapsed Catholic) will tell you with a chuckle "Its a mystery! You aren't supposed to think about it!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X