Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

Yea maybe. Unfortunately we'll never know and I'm reclined to the fact that Maine will probably be a mid-tier team in Hockey East looking up at BC for the next ten years. I've never disliked Whitehead, but as the seasons go by, it's pretty apparent that he doesn't have what it takes to compete with a guy like York and with Notre Dame coming to Hockey East it makes it that much tougher.

Comment

Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

Originally posted by lewylew View Post
      York definitely deserves to be in the discussion, but "best ever" is always a debate. I am biased, but I wonder how successful York would still be if Shawn Walsh were still around. Walsh could recruit and "X and O" with the best of them, especially against York and BC.
      Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
      He's been at BC for 18 seasons. In the past 15 his team has made the NCAA's 13 times. They have made the Frozen Four 10 times. They have played in the last game of the season 8 times, winning it 4 times. Never below 500 during that time. Only twice below 600. 69.4% for those 15 years.
      Shawn's last 15 years: 11 NCAA's, 7 FF's, 3 championship games, 2 titles. Once below 500, 4 times below 600. 68.9% over his last 15 years. I bleed blue, too, but with the exception of overall win percentage, Shawn's stats don't measure up to Jerry's. If Shawn were still coaching would that have affected Jerry's stats? Undoubtedly. If..... would Shawn have been in the greatest coach discussion? Possibly, he was definitely on that trajectory. But Shawn's style would have definitely cost him votes in a contest that didn't rely exclusively on stats.

And nobody has made a serious case for any other coach as best ever.

I've got to go wash my mouth out again.
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
        My argument against this thought is this:

The best thing Jerry York did in his career was leave Boston. Throughout the 80's and 90's BU and BC always competed for the best "local" kid. Jerry arrived mid to late 90's with experience of the hockey talent nationwide. He landed a New York native recruit Marty Reasoner. Soon, see 2001 roster, players from throughout the country started commiting to BC. Jerry and staff went beyond the Massachusetts border and started recruiting the best North American talent. The counter point to your statement above is Jerry created the culture to get the best North American talent to choose BC. He made that platter and he and his staff load it up each year.

They, the non-local recruits, weren't being handed to BC before Jerry arrived, that's for sure.

He went out and got the kids, created a winning culture, and has successfully repeated this blue print year after year.
        Totally agree with you on this.

Comment

Dudes. The old ****er won at bowling green!! Put that in yer pipe and smoke it!
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            maybe it was 96 or 97 then. dane county coliseum, and BC was there along with RPI and CC IIRC
            Prior to 1998, BC's last tourney appearance was 1991

Originally posted by TimU View Post
            Well, for the most part they still need to develop physically before they can play in the NHL: the guys at that level are just as talented, and 25-35 years old. That's not Jerry York magic, it's biology. Again, I am not trying to make the argument that York isn't the best college coach at present, or of his generation. But winning with young players isn't such a big feat when those players as a group are just flat-out better hockey players than 90% of the teams they face. And he doesn't have to do anything special to keep an 18-year-old kid from jumping to the NHL. Also, his ability to land all these great players is helped immensely by the facilities and huge budgets he has to work with. Other people with the facilities, TV exposure, and recruiting budget of BC could do extremely well. Maybe not as well as York (and he's been successful at other schools without those advantages), but let's face it: he is in a situation tailor-made for developing perennial contenders.
            Valid points, but, you have to take into consideration that the same school with the same budget/facilities only had one national title prior to York's arrival.

Comment

Jerry York deserves all the credit that is given. Period. He's a great coach.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Maybe of all time?
                Are you insane?
                Of all time, absolutely.
                Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
                  Maybe of all time?
                  Are you insane?
                  Of all time, absolutely.
                  Haha, I agree with this 1000%
                  Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                    Shawn's last 15 years: 11 NCAA's, 7 FF's, 3 championship games, 2 titles. Once below 500, 4 times below 600. 68.9% over his last 15 years. I bleed blue, too, but with the exception of overall win percentage, Shawn's stats don't measure up to Jerry's. If Shawn were still coaching would that have affected Jerry's stats? Undoubtedly. If..... would Shawn have been in the greatest coach discussion? Possibly, he was definitely on that trajectory. But Shawn's style would have definitely cost him votes in a contest that didn't rely exclusively on stats.

And nobody has made a serious case for any other coach as best ever.

I've got to go wash my mouth out again.
                    I agree and wasn't making a case for Walsh as one of the greatest ever. I was only suggesting that if Walsh was alive and still coaching, he and York would undoubtedly gone head to head in some big games. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
                      Your ability to discuss this is so clouded that you can't even understand basic pronoun agreement. I think most people can see that I am calling York the greatest of the era. Perhaps you saw "Michigan" and your rose-colored glasses turned black.

As for Red's place with other coaches, he has not been significantly outperformed by any coach of this era, other than York.
                      Lucia is arguably better as is Gwozdecky (both have as many titles). I have no hate for Michigan, but Berenson is overrated without a doubt.
                      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

Valid points, but, you have to take into consideration that the same school with the same budget/facilities only had one national title prior to York's arrival.
                        Very true.

Like I said, I'm not trying to refute the idea that he's one of the best coaches ever. I just don't think it's valid to say he's great because he wins with 18-year-olds or because he gets those same kids to stay in school where others wouldn't. I also think that there are lots of coaches who could be extremely successful at BC. But even discounting all the factors that give him such an advantage over most of his peers, he's still the best, and he's proven it over and over. He's great because he's won wherever he's gone, and he's great because even when he competes against other similarly-situated coaches, he wins more than anyone else.

Comment

Jerry York is absolutely the best college hockey coach of all time. A class act.
                          Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            And how did that one go? IIRC that was it for Coach Ceglarski.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              dudes. The old ****er won at bowling green!! Put that in yer pipe and smoke it!
                              lol!
                              Originally posted by mookie1995
                              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                                Murray "The Chief" Armstrong, University of Denver, and Jerry York, BC and Bowling Green, have 5 NCAA Championship rings.
                                Armstrong and York are the only 2 coaches to win 3 titles in 5 years.
                                Didn't Vic Heyliger win a zillion at Michigan, including 3 in a row?
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X