Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

NESN ran a video about the 2002 BC hockey team - the one after NC #2. That team was hit by massive NHL defections and an injury bug that probably would have bankrupted Romneycare. They were mediocre at best and lost to Maine in the HEA quarters.

Yet Jerry never panicked, never lost his cool, never got discouraged. The players were overmatched but never quit.

Any coach can look great with great talent. How you coach when you don't have that talent is a better marker. Coach York has had both over his career and he's still the same person who blew his first whistle 40 years ago.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

I think the nuance is whether you interpret the question as, "Which coach's resume includes the most impressive accomplishments in college hockey?" or "Which college hockey coach was best at building, organizing, training, and motivating his teams - i.e. best at coaching?" York may well win a couple more titles at BC before all is said and done, which would clearly give him the best resume. However, I could still see where Brooks, Johnson, Harkness, et al would still be in the discussion for the latter interpretation.

Nobody well ever convince me that there's any more impressive stretch than Harkness taking over a Cornell team which had had a single winning season since its post-WWII re-inception, getting them to 22-5 two years later, and then losing a total of 5 games over the next 4 seasons combined. His problem was that he was TOO successful at college hockey, so he decided to go on to bigger and better challenges. Perhaps if he'd lost a few more games in there, he'd have ended up staying at Cornell for 30 seasons and we'd be discussing why none of the Western teams can match Cornell's number of titles...
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        that brings up another problem, right now York has no peer so head to head he stands out even further against the rest of today's field which would seem to prop him up against past coaches as well in a way. the what if's are intriguing but we'll never know unfortunately (what if BC played an all WCHA schedule, or what if BU, Maine, UNH offered consistent competition over the last 15 years, etc)
        I know there are WCHA people that will disagree, but the one thing I don't even consider a factor is what if BC had to play an all WCHA schedule. Hockey East is no slouch and has been if not right there with the WCHA, clearly the next conference in line. Throw in BCs 11-4 NCAA tourney record against WCHA competition and I don't think much, if anything would change.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          I know there are WCHA people that will disagree, but the one thing I don't even consider a factor is what if BC had to play an all WCHA schedule. Hockey East is no slouch and has been if not right there with the WCHA, clearly the next conference in line. Throw in BCs 11-4 NCAA tourney record against WCHA competition and I don't think much, if anything would change.
          While I tend to agree with your overall conclusion, I think the WCHA is significantly more physical than Hockey East, and a full schedule against WCHA would likely knock out some players (if not some of your best players). Look at DU this year for a prime example of a team loaded with talent that got decimated by the grind of the WCHA. That being said, I think the WCHA also prepares teams better for the NCAA Tournament, and York would probably be able to shape his teams a bit better to play on that stage, so it is possible that BC would have had even more success if they played a full WCHA schedule.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
            damm you.
            I hate you....but then I don't.

That's coz I'm funny (sometimes) and people like funny. Even Gopher fans when they occasionally get over themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
              The title of this thread is "Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time.] Shouldn't that eliminate some of this back and forth talk about the older coaches? I'm not old enough to remember some of those guys, but I think it would be tough to argue that Jerry York is the best coach of the last 30 years.
              I think it's impossible to argue that York is not the best of the last 30 years. I wish Brooks had not made the move to the pros after 1980 and had gone back to Minnesota, then we could really compare the two. But I understand Herb's desire to move on to bigger challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                First of all, there is no more overrated coach than Red Berenson. You call it what you want, but they have a pipeline to the USNDPT and they have two FF titles since he took over (both needing OT) and have been annual flops in the NCAAs every other year. He's a great regular season coach, but I'm not sure he's a guy who I'd say "can win the big one".

York, to me, is the best coach in any college sport today among the major sports. When it's all said and done, he may be the all time best. I think he is to be honest already.
                This is all stereotyped, unmitigated BS.

Berenson doesn't have any more a pipeline pull (the argument is due to geography more than anything) than any other major D1 coach. He has the same restrictions as any other program. I know about 48 other programs that would like to have the same kind of "failures" he has piloted in his 27 years.

He often laments why his program hasn't won more titles, but, that is more in reflection of his hockey coaching mortality. His 90's squads were awesome but so was his competition. There hasn't been any shame in losing-his players have gone on to become fine citizens in other endeavors. Every team experiences defections also, so that isn't going to be played here, either. Fact is, a handful of his teams have underperformed in the NCAA tourney. Some lost in a one and done where they simply got beat, others moved on when they shouldn't have. I don't know too many programs that have had that chance 22 straight seasons. To minimize his accomplishments is simply obtuse. The same tired argument was used against Bo Schembechler, too.

And how that compares to York is beyond me. He is a tremendous coach, probably ONE of the best all time. But it's ludicrous to crown him king of major college sports coaching.

Comment

Bo was overrated, too.

The flaw in your argument about the other teams are all failures too is Michigan is not on the same level as Ferris, Merrimack, Duluth, etc. Red can't even win the CCHA tournament anymore. Michigan should be better no matter how you slice it
                  Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Bo was overrated, too.

The flaw in your argument about the other teams are all failures too is Michigan is not on the same level as Ferris, Merrimack, Duluth, etc. Red can't even win the CCHA tournament anymore. Michigan should be better no matter how you slice it
                    Look, tool, you're just baiting now. You've ground it down to the axe handle now. Give it up.

Comment

Bo was overrated, too.

off the cliff on/this one. Who exactly are the coaches from Merrimack, Duluth and Ferris that are in this equation? (add, BC isn't a small school in the hockey pond fwiw)

and what's your damage w/Michigan?
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        off the cliff on/this one. Who exactly are the coaches from Merrimack, Duluth and Ferris that are in this equation? (add, BC isn't a small school in the hockey pond fwiw)

and what's your damage w/Michigan?
                        Maybe it's the whole state?

Michigan Tech beat Brown in both the 1976 and 1965 Final Fours.

Maybe it's just Michigan?

Michigan beat Brown for the title in '51.

Other than that, I'm not really sure.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          Maybe it's the whole state?

Michigan Tech beat Brown in both the 1976 and 1965 Final Fours.

Maybe it's just Michigan?

Michigan beat Brown for the title in '51.

Other than that, I'm not really sure.
                          interesting possibility. I was unaware of the MTU>Brown nor MU>Brown FF or Championship game tilts.

or perhaps onionman is an tosu grad?
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X