Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Results 141 to 147 of 147

Thread: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

  1. #141
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Edina, MN, USA
    Posts
    17,783

    Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston22 View Post
    The title of this thread is "Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time.] Shouldn't that eliminate some of this back and forth talk about the older coaches? I'm not old enough to remember some of those guys, but I think it would be tough to argue that Jerry York is the best coach of the last 30 years.
    I think it's impossible to argue that York is not the best of the last 30 years. I wish Brooks had not made the move to the pros after 1980 and had gone back to Minnesota, then we could really compare the two. But I understand Herb's desire to move on to bigger challenges.

  2. #142
    Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    SE Mi, USA
    Posts
    6,362

    Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

    Quote Originally Posted by Onion Man View Post
    First of all, there is no more overrated coach than Red Berenson. You call it what you want, but they have a pipeline to the USNDPT and they have two FF titles since he took over (both needing OT) and have been annual flops in the NCAAs every other year. He's a great regular season coach, but I'm not sure he's a guy who I'd say "can win the big one".

    York, to me, is the best coach in any college sport today among the major sports. When it's all said and done, he may be the all time best. I think he is to be honest already.
    This is all stereotyped, unmitigated BS.

    Berenson doesn't have any more a pipeline pull (the argument is due to geography more than anything) than any other major D1 coach. He has the same restrictions as any other program. I know about 48 other programs that would like to have the same kind of "failures" he has piloted in his 27 years.

    He often laments why his program hasn't won more titles, but, that is more in reflection of his hockey coaching mortality. His 90's squads were awesome but so was his competition. There hasn't been any shame in losing-his players have gone on to become fine citizens in other endeavors. Every team experiences defections also, so that isn't going to be played here, either. Fact is, a handful of his teams have underperformed in the NCAA tourney. Some lost in a one and done where they simply got beat, others moved on when they shouldn't have. I don't know too many programs that have had that chance 22 straight seasons. To minimize his accomplishments is simply obtuse. The same tired argument was used against Bo Schembechler, too.

    And how that compares to York is beyond me. He is a tremendous coach, probably ONE of the best all time. But it's ludicrous to crown him king of major college sports coaching.

  3. #143
    Meehan Madness is Coming Back!!!!!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gano Street, Providence
    Posts
    1,352

    Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

    Bo was overrated, too.

    The flaw in your argument about the other teams are all failures too is Michigan is not on the same level as Ferris, Merrimack, Duluth, etc. Red can't even win the CCHA tournament anymore. Michigan should be better no matter how you slice it
    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

  4. #144
    Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    SE Mi, USA
    Posts
    6,362

    Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

    Quote Originally Posted by Onion Man View Post
    Bo was overrated, too.

    The flaw in your argument about the other teams are all failures too is Michigan is not on the same level as Ferris, Merrimack, Duluth, etc. Red can't even win the CCHA tournament anymore. Michigan should be better no matter how you slice it
    Look, tool, you're just baiting now. You've ground it down to the axe handle now. Give it up.

  5. #145
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,629

    Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

    Quote Originally Posted by Onion Man View Post
    Bo was overrated, too.

    The flaw in your argument about the other teams are all failures too is Michigan is not on the same level as Ferris, Merrimack, Duluth, etc. Red can't even win the CCHA tournament anymore. Michigan should be better no matter how you slice it
    off the cliff on/this one. Who exactly are the coaches from Merrimack, Duluth and Ferris that are in this equation? (add, BC isn't a small school in the hockey pond fwiw)

    and what's your damage w/Michigan?
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!


    "but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

    "I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

    "I'm Not A Hockey Guy" - Barry Alvarez 3-29-11

  6. #146

    Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    off the cliff on/this one. Who exactly are the coaches from Merrimack, Duluth and Ferris that are in this equation? (add, BC isn't a small school in the hockey pond fwiw)

    and what's your damage w/Michigan?
    Maybe it's the whole state?

    Michigan Tech beat Brown in both the 1976 and 1965 Final Fours.

    Maybe it's just Michigan?

    Michigan beat Brown for the title in '51.

    Other than that, I'm not really sure.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

  7. #147
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,629

    Re: Jerry York is the best NCAA hockey coach of the last 30 years, maybe of all-time

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Maybe it's the whole state?

    Michigan Tech beat Brown in both the 1976 and 1965 Final Fours.

    Maybe it's just Michigan?

    Michigan beat Brown for the title in '51.

    Other than that, I'm not really sure.
    interesting possibility. I was unaware of the MTU>Brown nor MU>Brown FF or Championship game tilts.

    or perhaps onionman is an tosu grad?
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!


    "but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

    "I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

    "I'm Not A Hockey Guy" - Barry Alvarez 3-29-11

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •