Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Off-Season Thread: 2012 National Champions

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
    we need to see this article, can you post the link to it? i'm having a problem believing that, lol.....give him credit though, he knew there are three periods
    I believe it was at a student talk, that the halftime would work better for TV opposed to 2 intermissions.

W T F ?

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
      ...........that the halftime would work better for TV opposed to 2 intermissions.

W T F ?
      i know it

Comment

Top 3 keys to the 2012 season

(1) The Freshmen D: With only 3 returning D-Men, at least 2 of the 4 new D-Men are going to need to play some serious, hopefully productive minutes. I'm fairly confident that Matheson will come through and am guessing that between the other 3, one will be able to play effectively, with it likely being Doherty. There could be some early hiccups, in fact there almost certainly will be, but the talent is there, so am hoping the learning curve will be a short one.

(2) Progression of the Underclassmen Forwards: We know what we're getting with Gaudreau, Whitney, Mulland and Arnold, but after those top 4, there are some question marks. We need to replace a lot of points after losing Kreider, Almeida and Carey and am not sure you can ask a lot more from Whitney, Mullane and Arnold, who are likley close to topping out at @ 40 points or so. Both Straight and Hayes came to the Heights with a lot of hype and while they are certainly not busts, I think that for the team to be successful, they'll each need to increase their scoring by at least 10-15 points. While I don't think Hayes has neccassarily topped out, I am more optimistic that Straight could have a breakout season as he was really playing well over the last few weeks of the season. Linell should increase his numbers as well, though am not expecting major contributions.

(3) Which Parker Milner shows up? While some argue that Milner will fall back to earth after playing out of his mind at the end of last season, I for one think he's the real deal - and he'll have to be for the team to be successful, especially early on. Losing Domoulin and Cross won't help, and I guess it would be crazy to expect the same amazing save percentage and GAA, but I think he'll be close.

Comment

Originally posted by Casual Poster View Post
          He screwed up everything he touched. The only saving grace for the hockey team was it was so successful, he was unable to justify a way to get rid of the coach and decimate the program. If there had been a stumble along the way, you can bet that he would have found a way to make sure '08, '10, and '12 didn't happen.
          When I think about what made GDF so hated by some at BC, it comes down to two mistakes. 1. The Jags fiasco 2. Hiring Spaz. Other than that, I think he was a pretty good AD.

Skinner was driving the basketball program into the ground. The man just did not recruit and just didn't possess the energy that's required of a basketball coach in the ACC. GDF went out and hired one of the hottest names in coaching that year in Steve Donahue. Whether Coach D works, time will tell, but at the time it was a good hire and he has been impressive so far.

The hockey fans that hate GDF get me the most. Half of the time they b**** and moan that GDF doesn't care about hockey and the other half they b**** and moan that GDF should leave hockey alone. It's a total ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't situation for him. So GDF might be more focused on football and basketball, so what? Those are bigger sports. Do you think it's any different at a place like Michigan or Wisconsin?
          I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, no matter what the others promise to do... when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there

EAGLE HOCKEY

1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

“I want to be like them.” -Scott Sandelin

Comment

Originally posted by JMSF#1 View Post
            The hockey fans that hate GDF get me the most. Half of the time they b**** and moan that GDF doesn't care about hockey and the other half they b**** and moan that GDF should leave hockey alone. It's a total ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't situation for him. So GDF might be more focused on football and basketball, so what? Those are bigger sports. Do you think it's any different at a place like Michigan or Wisconsin?
            Yes I do, I think at least the AD's at Michigan and Wisconsin would find a few minutes to attend their hockey team raising a National Championship banner. It's not like it's a regular occurrence at The Heights unfortunately, save for the hockey team. I think all of us that ***** about GDF are glad he has left hockey alone but miffed at his seeming lack of respect for the program and at times York himself. Also, personally, I think it bothered him that Jerry is so universally loved, just my two cents
            Last edited by sterlippo1; 09-04-2012, 05:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
              Yes I do, I think at least the AD's at Michigan and Wisconsin would find a few minutes to attend their hockey team raising a National Championship banner. It's not like it's a regular occurrence at The Heights unfortunately, save for the hockey team. I think all of us that ***** about GDF are glad he has left hockey alone but miffed at his seeming lack of respect for the program and at times York himself. Also, personally, I think it bothered him that Jerry is so universally loved, just my two cents
              LOL! You obviously aren't familiar with Barry Alvarez.

Comment

When I think about what made GDF so hated by some at BC, it comes down to two mistakes. 1. The Jags fiasco 2. Hiring Spaz. Other than that, I think he was a pretty good AD.
                My view of him changed after 1 and then I went full negative on him for 2. Napoleon torpedoed the program with this buffoon we have now.

Granted he does deserve kudos for getting us out of that wasteland that is the NNNNNNNBE

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                  LOL! You obviously aren't familiar with Barry Alvarez.
                  no and nor do i care. He was using Any U and just named what came off the top of his head , obviously, and which universities he picked have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Do you understand now?

Comment

no and nor do i care. He was using Any U and just named what came off the top of his head , obviously, and which universities he picked have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Do you understand now?
                    He used Wisconsin as an example of a school with an AD that cares about hockey. Barry Alvarez is the AD at Wisconsin. Barry Alvarez is college hockey's Anti-Christ. Understand why the statement was funny now?

Comment

He used Wisconsin as an example of a school with an AD that cares about hockey. Barry Alvarez is the AD at Wisconsin. Barry Alvarez is college hockey's Anti-Christ. Understand why the statement was funny now?
                      "a place like Michigan or Wisconsin" was what he wrote. That to me suggests he meant Any U, if you took it another way than I, great, good for you. The subject is BC and GDF

Comment

"a place like Michigan or Wisconsin" was what he wrote. That to me suggests he meant Any U, if you took it another way than I, great, good for you. The subject is BC and GDF
                        A "place like Wisconsin" would be a place where your AD wishes hockey would just go away. And a "place like Michigan" is a place where hockey isn't even important enough to have a woman's program.

Just sayin

Comment

I think you have to add in #3 which was extending Spaz's contract because he got his team to beat a brutal murderer's row of Clemson (6-7), Wake (3-9), Duke (3-9), UVA (4-8), and Syracuse (8-5 ... Big East... enough said about that record) in five straight contests by an average margin of victory of 6.8 points.

What would possess any man with a brain to freaking extend this POS coach after beating such a sad set of teams by so little? Ridiculous.

Not to mention how much money he was bringing in himself... he was one of the highest paid athletic directors in the country and made in excess of $1M.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

A "place like Wisconsin" would be a place where your AD wishes hockey would just go away. And a "place like Michigan" is a place where hockey isn't even important enough to have a woman's program.

Just sayin
                            that is not true.

Alvarez brought in Sean Frazier, who is the deputy director of athletics, second in command.
                            http://www.uwathletics.com/bios/rost...spx?deptid=101

He is hockey oriented big time.

Was AD at Merrimack, Clarkson and at U Maine, all hockey schools. Does have a football background but has been all about hockey past 15-20 years and still is..

 Selected to NCAA D-I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship Committee 2008
                             Selected as West Regional Chair for D-I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship Committee 09’,10’
                             Selected as Chair of the NCAA D-I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship Committee 2011
                             Selected as East Regional Chair for the NCAA D-III Women’s Ice Hockey Championship Committee 2001
                             Selected to the “Inaugural” NCAA D-III Women’s Ice Hockey Championship Committee 2001

Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY
                             Negotiated brand identity program & athletic apparel agreement for entire University with Boathouse Sports Company and CCM hockey outfitter.
                             Created plan for the start-up of Division I Women’s Ice Hockey.
                             Cultivated men’s ice hockey program that reached the 2004 ECAC Hockey Championship game which was the best finish for the program since 1999

Comment

If only Spaz/Gene hired someone like Doug Martin instead of Gary Tranquill and then the Kevin Rogers debacle. And now, when the offense seems to have a direction, it appears the defense might go in the other direction. Whoever comes in next won't have nearly the tall task that TOB did, so that's at least a silver lining.

Comment

Ask even the UW fans what they think of Alvarez's "support" for college hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X