2012 Women's Worlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Women's Worlds

*****http://i433.***********.com/albums/qq55/hockeyHux/SchellingdeniesKnight.jpg******
    The US shots came early and often, and Swiss backstopper Florence Schelling would see 72 (stopping 63), including this point blank blast by Hilary Knight.

Comment

*****http://i433.***********.com/albums/qq55/hockeyHux/StackjukesoutFlo.jpg******
      With moves like Jagger, Kelli Stack tallied two gaols, including the game winner. Here she pulls up short, and waits out Schelling, eventually tucking the puck home.

Comment

Seems funny how all of you are rooting for the end of women's hockey. Score differential; sad.

Comment

I think score differential and competition is one thing, but I think another factor people aren't talking about is more important - money.

Corporate sponsorships and television rights. If TV networks and sponsors who are bidding on these rights and paying big money want hockey, they will get it. I wouldn't focus on lobbying the IOC - I would make darn sure I lobbied the TV networks and the sponsors and make sure they told the IOC that they want women's hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
            I think score differential and competition is one thing, but I think another factor people aren't talking about is more important - money.

Corporate sponsorships and television rights. If TV networks and sponsors who are bidding on these rights and paying big money want hockey, they will get it. I wouldn't focus on lobbying the IOC - I would make darn sure I lobbied the TV networks and the sponsors and make sure they told the IOC that they want women's hockey.
            Dream on.... without hockey....well, you have nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
              Seems funny how all of you are rooting for the end of women's hockey.
              http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Compre...4383843&sr=1-1
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                Seems funny how all of you are rooting for the end of women's hockey. Score differential; sad.
                That is not true. I love all hockey!!! A game for everyone and a game for life. Some are trying to help the women's game flourish. Selling tickets to a game that one team out shots the other 80 to 10 and wins the game 10-0 is like me selling you a $30 ticket to watch a big brother play his little sister, what is the point?

Comment

I like the analogy.

Comment

"Many mentors have said there are still some national teams that have players who smoke."

Big fish throw women’s hockey minnows a line
                    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ontent=2402449
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

And then years from now we'll be lamenting how the U.S. is no longer so dominant. Gee in 02-03, Harvard beat Cornell 8-0 (shots 47-9), BC 17-2 (shots 58-12), BU club team 7-0 without really trying. What's the point? Why didn't these teams just cut their programs? Oh look, they all made the Frozen Four eight years later. The international game won't evolve as quickly, but it will.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                        The international game won't evolve as quickly, but it will.
                        Agreed. I do think that it is a little late in the cycle for Russia to decide that they want to medal in 2014. It's not impossible, but they clearly have ground to make up on Finland. Plus, they are in trouble against teams that have superior goaltending, such as Switzerland and Slovakia.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          "Many mentors have said there are still some national teams that have players who smoke."

Big fish throw women’s hockey minnows a line
                          http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ontent=2402449
                          Many NHL players smoke. I am also sure that some players on team Canada and USA also light up on the occasion.

Remember Michael Phelps? He must not be a serious athlete because he smokes too.

(Not condoning smoking, just pointing out that it doesn't seem to make an athlete any less of an athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            Agreed. I do think that it is a little late in the cycle for Russia to decide that they want to medal in 2014. It's not impossible, but they clearly have ground to make up on Finland. Plus, they are in trouble against teams that have superior goaltending, such as Switzerland and Slovakia.
                            And one other similarity with the college game I didn't point out before. BU/BC/Cornell are among the schools with the proudest men's hockey traditions. You should see that same kind of convergence on the international level once these countries give women some respect. You definitely saw it in soccer, with countries like US & Norway & China with little men's soccer success leading the way initially, but then countries like Germany & Brazil & France with proud overall soccer histories being among the next to have international success. Probably hosting the 2002 men's World Cup was undoubtedly a factor in the growth of women's soccer in Japan, which won the women's cup in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by canadahockey26 View Post
                              Many NHL players smoke. I am also sure that some players on team Canada and USA also light up on the occasion. Remember Michael Phelps? He must not be a serious athlete because he smokes too.
                              Phelps was caught smoking weed once. I doubt he was addicted to nicotine cigarettes while training for Beijing, and I assume we're talking about nicotine here.

Comment

Originally posted by canadahockey26 View Post
                                Many NHL players smoke. I am also sure that some players on team Canada and USA also light up on the occasion.

Remember Michael Phelps? He must not be a serious athlete because he smokes too.

(Not condoning smoking, just pointing out that it doesn't seem to make an athlete any less of an athlete.
                                Keep it up...it'll get ya. Bad Idea says this former long time smoker.

As for Phelps...what brand of tobacco are we talking about?
                                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X