2012 Women's Worlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Women's Worlds

I would expect Canada to put up a much better fight next time around however it is time for a change. The game has changed and is much faster with better skill than that played in years past. Just look at the speed and skill of the Lam girls, Kessel, Decker, Knight, Coyne to name a few...their transition game and speed off the rush is awesome! Canada has Poulin, Johnstone, Jenner, Spooner to counter with but I just think the USA has adjusted their roster to take the game to a higher level quicker than Canada who seems to have put a little too much faith in drawing from experience rather than youthful enthusiasm, skill, and speed. That does not mean we count Canada out because as we all know, the pressure to win in Canada is huge and the girls can still put it together for that one big effort.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
      There's a game recap video on the Hockey Canada website. In the column on the right side of the page, the fourth video down ("Costly Loss") has game highlights including Irwin's injury at :45 (I assume you folks can get Canadian websites up there?)
      Thanks again. I checked the Hockey Canada site before responding to your first post last night but somehow missed that clip.

One of the main headings on their site ended with "Lesson Learned" which I think is a nonsensical platitude. It's a lesson that doesn't/shouldn't have to be learned...and, if it indeed "had" to be learned then you had no business being there in the first place...it should be known instinctively...especially at this level...it should be coursing through your veins...it ain't that complicated.

It's sort of like showing up to a gunfight with no gun and then afterward saying "lesson learned"...in which case the "lesson" only had to be learned because you made the conscious choice of assuming that the other guy was also going to show up to the gunfight without any hardware.

Seems to me to be a poor strategy...especially when the stakes are so high.
      Last edited by Blackbeard; 04-08-2012, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Boy View Post
        I would expect Canada to put up a much better fight next time around however it is time for a change. The game has changed and is much faster with better skill than that played in years past. Just look at the speed and skill of the Lam girls, Kessel, Decker, Knight, Coyne to name a few...their transition game and speed off the rush is awesome! Canada has Poulin, Johnstone, Jenner, Spooner to counter with but I just think the USA has adjusted their roster to take the game to a higher level quicker than Canada who seems to have put a little too much faith in drawing from experience rather than youthful enthusiasm, skill, and speed. That does not mean we count Canada out because as we all know, the pressure to win in Canada is huge and the girls can still put it together for that one big effort.
        Said it beautifully. Unbelievable how quick the US was in comparison to Canada last night.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

very impressed with the speed,quickness and skill level from last nights games-those girls can really fly and completely unselfish with the puck.it was a pleasure to watch last night's game--can't wait for the next game!!burlington is lucky to have such a great tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
            The older players for both teams, Hayley Wick & Jenny Potter, were really slow. Julie Chu was good but two years from now I don't think so. I think it is time to retire. Is #4 the only one to understand this?
            Chu is two years younger than Ruggiero and has continually stayed involved in playing & coaching hockey, unlike Ruggiero whose life went in many other different directions. I expect Chu will still have plenty left in the tank at 32 in 2014.

This was my first IIHF event, I was bored 3 min in. I for one don't think the women's game will be in the Olympics much longer.
            Lots of people find lots of Olympic events to be boring, and there are many other factors that determine whether a sport stays in the Olympics or not. Most U.S.-Canada games are pretty exciting though, and this was an exception.

To tie in with the rest of your response, it's a good thing Angela is devoted more fully to the IOC, and I think that'll help the reduce the chance those whining about women's hockey parity are successful in getting the sport removed. The whining primarily comes from journalists who are forced to cover it, who are also bored like you and can't think of anything to else to write about it. But the reality is the women's hockey competition is still just as one-sided as the men's ever was in its early years, and to remove the only women's team sport in the Winter Olympics would destroy whatever credibility the IOC has in gender equity.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
              Thanks again. I checked the Hockey Canada site before responding to your first post last night but somehow missed that clip.

One of the main headings on their site ended with "Lesson Learned" which I think is a nonsensical platitude. It's a lesson that doesn't/shouldn't have to be learned...and, if it indeed "had" to be learned then you had no business being there in the first place...it should be known instinctively...especially at this level...it should be coursing through your veins...it ain't that complicated.

It's sort of like showing up to a gunfight with no gun and then afterward saying "lesson learned"...in which case the "lesson" only had to be learned because you made the conscious choice of assuming that the other guy was also going to show up to the gunfight without any hardware.

Seems to me to be a poor strategy...especially when the stakes are so high.
              Yes it was a loss for the Canuck's and it looked bad, but at the end of the day it was only a preliminary round robin game. The only real meaning for this game was to determine home ice in the final, presuming these same two teams meet again and the US goes on to win pool A. Many times in past worlds, the team that won the round robin game lost in the final.

My take on the game was that Canada had a slow start, and the game was pretty much over after 3minutes. I was standing besides IceisNice, and when the US scored the second goal on the second shift, told him....."Time to call a time out"......Canadian coaches called a time out a few minutes later after the third or fourth goal, but by that time the game was pretty much over.

From a Canadian perspective just one of those games. If you look at the post game interviews with Hefford and Ouellette, they both summed it up perfectly...We were not ready at the start of the game, and can't wait to get back at it tommorow against Finland to show that we are better than what we showed today......

......Time to not get too high if you are an American, and time to not get too low if you are a Canadian.

Having said all that, Kudos to the US team. They looked impressive last night.
              Last edited by OnMAA; 04-08-2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=OnMAA;5424053 Many times in past worlds, the team that won the round robin game lost in the final.

My take on the game was that Canada had a slow start, and the game was pretty much over after 3minutes.

From a Canadian perspective just one of those games. If you look at the post game interviews with Hefford and Ouellette, they both summed it up perfectly...We were not ready at the start of the game, and can't wait to get back at it tommorow against Finland to show that we are better than what we showed today......

......Time to not get too high if you are an American, and time to not get too low if you are a Canadian.

Having said all that, Kudos to the US team. They looked impressive last night.[/QUOTE]

Slow start? No... Canada is just slow. Not ready? This was not game one of a 40 game schedule... Poor excuse. For the older players on Canada the attitude is, yeah just another WWC game... been there done that...... I say time for a changing of the guard.

Yes... USA looked very impressive! The injection of youth will serve them well over the course of the tournament. As for the old ladies they will be taking ice baths and ibprofen.

Good luck Canada

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                  Chu is two years younger than Ruggiero and has continually stayed involved in playing & coaching hockey, unlike Ruggiero whose life went in many other different directions. I expect Chu will still have plenty left in the tank at 32 in 2014.

Lots of people find lots of Olympic events to be boring, and there are many other factors that determine whether a sport stays in the Olympics or not. Most U.S.-Canada games are pretty exciting though, and this was an exception.

To tie in with the rest of your response, it's a good thing Angela is devoted more fully to the IOC, and I think that'll help the reduce the chance those whining about women's hockey parity are successful in getting the sport removed. The whining primarily comes from journalists who are forced to cover it, who are also bored like you and can't think of anything to else to write about it. But the reality is the women's hockey competition is still just as one-sided as the men's ever was in its early years, and to remove the only women's team sport in the Winter Olympics would destroy whatever credibility the IOC has in gender equity.
                  I hope so. Julie Chu is an absolute A+ person. However, Team USA needs to win and I think speed gives them the best chance.

I would love this sport to stay in the olympics but has issues. Two teams are real and the rest are a joke when compared to Team USA & Canada. If your son/ daughter was playing AA hockey, would you sign them up for a B tournament? It has nothing to do with gender. How do we get the rest of the world up to Team USA/ Canadas level? One of the countries in this tournament lists 315 total female hockey players. Not a very big pool to pick from. As a fan, I want to see competition.
                  Last edited by Call It; 04-08-2012, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                    And to add to that, Chu is naturally more speedy to start of with. She has plenty of speed left and then some for this level. Besides, age drop-off does not happen at the same rate, age or level for everyone. Overall women's performance actually drops off at a later stage/age compared to Men. Chu is still a spring chicken, compared to some of the top end Men's players.

Comment

Originally posted by rugrats View Post
                      Slow start? No... Canada is just slow. Not ready? This was not game one of a 40 game schedule... Poor excuse. For the older players on Canada the attitude is, yeah just another WWC game... been there done that...... I say time for a changing of the guard.

Yes... USA looked very impressive! The injection of youth will serve them well over the course of the tournament. As for the old ladies they will be taking ice baths and ibprofen.

Good luck Canada
                      I hope you are not a Canuck. As Canucks, we should discuss how to get better, but let's wait until the tournament is over. During the tournament, we should stand behind them. JMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                        Yes it was a loss for the Canuck's and it looked bad, but at the end of the day it was only a preliminary round robin game. The only real meaning for this game was to determine home ice in the final, presuming these same two teams meet again and the US goes on to win pool A. Many times in past worlds, the team that won the round robin game lost in the final.

My take on the game was that Canada had a slow start, and the game was pretty much over after 3minutes. I was standing besides IceisNice, and when the US scored the second goal on the second shift, told him....."Time to call a time out"......Canadian coaches called a time out a few minutes later after the third or fourth goal, but by that time the game was pretty much over.

I made the same comment. I was shocked it took until the fourth goal to call the timeout.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

I hope you are not a Canuck. As Canucks, we should discuss how to get better, but let's wait until the tournament is over. During the tournament, we should stand behind them. JMHO.
                          Haha.... sorry to be so negative. Yes, I'm a Johnny Canuck. That's why I'm upset. Mel Davidson has to forget about loyalty to the vets... Yeah sure... Keep one (playing assistant coach). The old dolls have had their day in the limelight, so lets proceed with progression.

That said, I'm behind them 100%. Go Canada.

Comment

I basically agree, thinking Ouellette expressed it best and realistically.

My point was simply that whoever was responsible for that headline "Tough Loss, Lesson Learned" on Hockey Canada's website should give more thought to the task at hand. That comment was completely meaningless...it was worse than meaningless, it was just plain stupid...just filling copy space.

I can't help but think back a few years ago to when Team USA had gone to youth to rebuild its program and had a few bumps along the way. Notwithstanding the fact that Team Canada didn't show up at the front door last night, if Team USA's performance was any indication of what is to come, big dividends are starting to be paid.

Comment

I would love this sport to stay in the olympics but has issues. Two teams are real and the rest are a joke when compared to Team USA & Canada. If your son/ daughter was playing AA hockey, would you sign them up for a B tournament? It has nothing to do with gender. How do we get the rest of the world up to Team USA/ Canadas level? One of the countries in this tournament lists 315 total female hockey players. Not a very big pool to pick from. As a fan, I want to see competition.
                              One thing you don't do as IOC head is threaten to cut the sport. Why invest in a sport that's going to be cut? You call out individual federations for failing to invest.

The sport can grow. Men's hockey grew. And you look at some other women's sports: women's soccer used to be U.S. & Norway in the early 90s. Since then you've seen a number of different countries who've won or been legit contenders.

Comment

If they wanted to, our daughters could probably move to my native land, get citizenship and play for my home country at the IIHF Division 1 level (IIHF teams ranked 9 and lower). Instead, their plans are focussed on their careers, once college hockey is done.

Comment

Working...
                                X