2012 Women's Worlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Women's Worlds

Apparently the IIHF isn't used to having Gopher players on the international teams, since all five of them (3 on Team USA, 2 on Team Finland) are listed on their respective national rosters as being from UMD.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

A little late but there are some interesting tidbits in this article:

Canada, United States on collision course at women's worlds

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...920/story.html
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
        Apparently the IIHF isn't used to having Gopher players on the international teams, since all five of them (3 on Team USA, 2 on Team Finland) are listed on their respective national rosters as being from UMD.
        I suspect UMD would take 'em.

Comment

I really wish I could come up for this. And am I reading that USA-Canada score right? Where was that in Vancouver? Switzerland only lost because Schelling was not he bench. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Boy View Post
            Ouchhhh! That was a serious spanking! The US put on a clinic offensively and showed great speed and tenacity. Canada seemed to be mesmerized at times and did a lot of watching. That was the worse loss ever for the Canadian women for sure. I would expect that should the two meet again, it will be a closer contest but the USA squad looks fantastic and the spectators seemed to enjoy it as well.
            Canada is too old and slow to keep up with USA's speed. Good win for USA, congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by rugrats View Post
              Canada is too old and slow to keep up with USA's speed. Good win for USA, congrats.
              youre kidding right?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                I'd be interested in comments from anyone who was at the game about what the refs were doing when Irwin got injured. You'd think they must have noticed that Canada only had 4 skaters back in their end at the opposite end of the rink. Did any of the refs look back down the ice and see that Irwin was completely helpless, apart from assistance from Schaus? You couldn't tell from the camera angles. It was horrible to watch.
                I was at the game at the same end as were Irwin crashed into the back boards. Saw the trailing ref look back as play went up the ice the other way, so they were aware she was hurt. Haley got up, went back down, and clearly could not put any weight on one leg. It was akward to watch. She very slowly got herself to neutral ice, in various positions of crawling and hopping on one leg. In my opinion, it took way too long before they blew the whistle. About half the crowd was booiing the ref when they finally blew the whistle. If I were the Canadian coach, would have been very upset with the slow whistle. With the game already 5-0 game, there is no way it should have taken that long for the whistle to blow. After rushing up the ice, the US circled the puck around at least twice before they finally blew the whistle. What happened to safety first ?.

As far as the game is concerned. This one was over early. US had 2 goals on three shots, 3 goals on 5 shots and 5 goals on 9 shots, all before the game was 6 minutes in. It appearred to me the Canadian team did not find their skating legs until midway in the second. One of those games were nothing went right for the Canucks.

Atmosphere at the Gutt was great. Most of the crowd were waving the American flags handed out to the crowd, and the Barn was full.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                  youre kidding right?
                  Ok, most of them are too old.

Comment

There's a good video recap of the game available. Haley Irwin's collision with the boards is at 1:10. And while the coach said it wasn't a fracture, it still looks ugly. I hope she's okay. Team Canada's collective ego is banged up and bruised tonight, too, but that just sets up a good rematch for next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                      I was at the game at the same end as were Irwin crashed into the back boards. Saw the trailing ref look back as play went up the ice the other way, so they were aware she was hurt. Haley got up, went back down, and clearly could not put any weight on one leg. It was akward to watch. She very slowly got herself to neutral ice, in various positions of crawling and hopping on one leg. In my opinion, it took way too long before they blew the whistle. About half the crowd was booiing the ref when they finally blew the whistle. If I were the Canadian coach, would have been very upset with the slow whistle. With the game already 5-0 game, there is no way it should have taken that long for the whistle to blow. After rushing up the ice, the US circled the puck around at least twice before they finally blew the whistle. What happened to safety first ?.
                      Rod Black sounded upset commenting on it a number of times with the final comment that she was trying to get off "for about a minute", but his tone said a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
                        There's a good video recap of the game available. Haley Irwin's collision with the boards is at 1:10. And while the coach said it wasn't a fracture, it still looks ugly. I hope she's okay. Team Canada's collective ego is banged up and bruised tonight, too, but that just sets up a good rematch for next weekend.
                        Thanks for posting the link, unfortunately it doesn't work up here.
                        Last edited by Blackbeard; 04-08-2012, 02:07 AM.

Comment

There's a game recap video on the Hockey Canada website. In the column on the right side of the page, the fourth video down ("Costly Loss") has game highlights including Irwin's injury at :45 (I assume you folks can get Canadian websites up there?)

Comment

Originally posted by rugrats View Post
                            Ok, most of them are too old.
                            The older players for both teams, Hayley Wick & Jenny Potter, were really slow. Julie Chu was good but two years from now I don't think so. I think it is time to retire. Is #4 the only one to understand this?

When Irwin got hurt, she was behind the net. Team USA was in complete control with the puck in Canada's Zone. Throw a line change in and thus confusion. The linesman did see her. What is the rule on injured players? Don Cherry would be proud of Irwin, she got up and tried to make it to the bench! She is a hockey player.

This was my first IIHF event, I was bored 3 min in. I for one don't think the women's game will be in the Olympics much longer. All of the other teams couldn't beat Team USA's U18 team. I bet they could not even beat the Ontario U18 team.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                              I'd be interested in comments from anyone who was at the game about what the refs were doing when Irwin got injured. You'd think they must have noticed that Canada only had 4 skaters back in their end at the opposite end of the rink. Did any of the refs look back down the ice and see that Irwin was completely helpless, apart from assistance from Schaus? You couldn't tell from the camera angles. It was horrible to watch.
                              International rules are different than college. The team with the injured player must "control" the puck (much like a delayed penalty situation) before they whistle the play. The linesman was no more than 5 feet from her and watching her struggle tonget off the ice, but there is nothing he can do because Canada didnt control the puck for what seemed like a whole minute after she was hurt. Both Schaus and Lamoreus-Kolls attempted to help her off the ice, but she collapsed when the whistle blew as it was no longer necessary for her to try and get to the bench.

Just FYI-they are using a 3 official system, which is only 1 ref and 2 linesman. Only the ref can call penalties. She can confer with the linesman but rarely do regarding penalties. The linesman are essentially there to call offside, hand pass, high stick, etc.

Last edited by pakidnyc; 04-08-2012, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Other than an interesting score to put into the history of this rivalry, I wouldn't place much significance on last night's result. The U.S. won, good for them, but it is a preliminary-round game that doesn't mean much more than the exhibition game that the teams played a week earlier. Canada will obviously play much better in a potential medal-round meeting. Wait until after the tournament is over to conclude anything about the relative strength of the two teams.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X