Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Women's Worlds

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    If we win, I'm having a beer to celebrate (a Canadian beer, no less.)
    Well, have one anyway.

From the blog, sounded like a turnover on a ill timed US line change.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      USA loses in OT, so you might want to have two (or three) beers.
      Nah, I'll still have one in honor of a tourney well played.

Not a big fan of 4-on-4 for a 20-minute OT. I can see it more when OT is only five minutes, but the odds are good that 20 minutes will produce a winner with 5-on-5. A big problem with 4-on-4 is any penalty then produces a 4-on-3 PP.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The fans certainly got more than their money's worth...great, fast, exciting game with lots of momentum shifts and a few strange things as well. Looked like a full house.

And Congratulations to Team Switzerland...their Bronze Medal win has to be good for the game. Looks good on them.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
          Well, have one anyway.

Yes,
          Tough turnover during OT but a very opportunistic Canadian team took advantage. Good game and good live feed. Could have gone either way but Canada seemed to be the more aggressive team in front of their own net while in the other end the US left a bit too much room for rebounds and trailers. They are so evenly matched it's a bounce or two that determines the winner. Great effort ladies!

Comment

That 9-2 game doesn't mean a whole-heck of a lot not now does it? Great game for both teams, and congrats to team CANADA!

Comment

Was this game not aired on TV in the US?

Comment

Well, have one anyway.

Friggin blog, you are looking for blame as per usual. Understand the the game first, then you might be able to make a intelligent, constructive conclusion. Every time a goal is scored, almost always, the team that scores it, deserves it. You are are an idiot, as per usual.

Comment

I think Team USA has a goaltending controversy and perhaps a coaching. The problem with losing this game is that you have to wait a whole year to redeem yourself in another one game event (i.e. next years Worlds).

Molly is perhaps the best technical goalie but as Herb Brooks said, "I'm not looking for the best players, Craig, I'm lookin' for the right ones." Someone on here has a tag that quotes Toe Blake on goalies: "You get four goals off them or five but the goal you've got to have to win somehow the great ones don't let you get it." Clearly not the case last night for Team USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                    Was this game not aired on TV in the US?
                    It was on a channel that is not always offered. Universal Sports isn't a channel that I get on cable, but apparently, people with satellite subscriptions could watch.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                      Seems funny how all of you are rooting for the end of women's hockey. Score differential; sad.
                      You mean an intelligent, constructive conclusion such as this fine example?

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                      Friggin blog, you are looking for blame as per usual. Understand the the game first, then you might be able to make a intelligent, constructive conclusion. Every time a goal is scored, almost always, the team that scores it, deserves it. You are are an idiot, as per usual.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                        I think Team USA has a goaltending controversy and perhaps a coaching. The problem with losing this game is that you have to wait a whole year to redeem yourself in another one game event (i.e. next years Worlds).
                        I wouldn't label it a controversy. With Vetter as #1 for four years, the U.S. won three Worlds and lost the Olympics. I'd like to know what the actual logic was in giving Schaus all the Canada starts (and I can't seriously evaluate the coaching decision without that information), but all else equal I thought it was in the long-term interest of the program to err on the side of starting Schaus to see what she can do, and to keep the pressure on Vetter. Ultimately winning in 2014 is more important than winning in 2012. Given the outcome and the history, I'd expect that Vetter is still the favorite to start in 2013 & 2014.

Comment

It was on a channel that is not always offered. Universal Sports isn't a channel that I get on cable, but apparently, people with satellite subscriptions could watch.
                          I am assuming most people watched the $4.95 video stream. Great crowd at the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                            I think Team USA has a goaltending controversy and perhaps a coaching.
                            I personally am sorta wondering what the official Grant and Joe take is on "Schaus in da house" in Burlington yesterday.
                            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                              I wouldn't label it a controversy. With Vetter as #1 for four years, the U.S. won three Worlds and lost the Olympics. I'd like to know what the actual logic was in giving Schaus all the Canada starts (and I can't seriously evaluate the coaching decision without that information), but all else equal I thought it was in the long-term interest of the program to err on the side of starting Schaus to see what she can do, and to keep the pressure on Vetter. Ultimately winning in 2014 is more important than winning in 2012. Given the outcome and the history, I'd expect that Vetter is still the favorite to start in 2013 & 2014.
                              Does it come down to Schaus and Vetter, or could somebody like Rigsby insert herself into the conversation? U.S. goalies don't seem to improve much once they are out of college, given that it is difficult to find gigs with the same regular practice and game opportunities. Even in the Olympic centralization years, the games aren't as good and challenging as the goaltenders saw during NCAA careers, because most tend to be exhibitions, and they feel like exhibitions. The college teams that can mount any offense against U.S.A. are few and far between, and even against international teams, they don't see many shots beyond the games with Canada.

Comment

Does it come down to Schaus and Vetter, or could somebody like Rigsby insert herself into the conversation? U.S. goalies don't seem to improve much once they are out of college, given that it is difficult to find gigs with the same regular practice and game opportunities. Even in the Olympic centralization years, the games aren't as good and challenging as the goaltenders saw during NCAA careers, because most tend to be exhibitions, and they feel like exhibitions. The college teams that can mount any offense against U.S.A. are few and far between, and even against international teams, they don't see many shots beyond the games with Canada.
                                That's a good point. Probably the biggest factor in Schaus starting was that she played U.S. college in 10-11, and while I agree the CWHL is lacking in some ways from U.S. college, it surely helped her to start 23 games for Boston. I don't know offhand what Vetter has done the past two seasons. So there's a clear reason to expect that Schaus would've been better prepared. A year of centralization before 2014 would do more to level the playing field.

Also, who knows what their long-term plans are. Raty posted last night on Twitter that she intends to retire from Team Finland, which was shocking since you'd think her senior year would be the perfect segue into the Olympics. In 2010 other top teams centralized and Finland did not, so maybe similar prospects in 2014 were not appealing?

Comment

Working...
                                X