Sweet Valentine! The saga of the 2012 Boston Red Sox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sweet Valentine! The saga of the 2012 Boston Red Sox

Not a lot of interesting articles about the trade. I guess we all knew the score.

Did get a chuckle out of Paul Konerko's comment that Youk is still pretty young. He's 33. Of course, in Konerko-years . . .
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Carl Crawford is making a rehab start with the Sea Dogs tomorrow evening. Tickets have gone fast...Luckily I managed to snag 4 reserved seats behind the 3rd base dugout. It'll be my nephew's first game. He'll probably be more excited about the fireworks after the game than any of the players.

Comment

Darnell MacDonald was just picked up by the Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          Darnell MacDonald was just picked up by the Yankees.
          Girardi says the versatile outfielder will see action this weekend against his old team.

Comment

Yankees come to down for 4. Won't watch many. Nats are the team to watch right now.

Edit: I see Beckett and Kuroda are engaged in a good old fashioned Fenway Park pitching duel.
            Last edited by joecct; 07-06-2012, 07:09 PM.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Bobby V wants to make sure I'm not distracted from work by this afternoon's MLB Network broadcast, so he's decided to throw the first game of the double-header.

Nava, LF
              Ciriaco, 2B
              Ortiz, DH
              Gonzalez, Ad, 1B
              Gomez, M, 3B
              Kalish, CF
              Aviles, SS
              Shoppach, C
              Lillibridge, RF
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                Bobby V wants to make sure I'm not distracted from work by this afternoon's MLB Network broadcast, so he's decided to throw the first game of the double-header.

Nava, LF
                Ciriaco, 2B
                Ortiz, DH
                Gonzalez, Ad, 1B
                Gomez, M, 3B
                Kalish, CF
                Aviles, SS
                Shoppach, C
                Lillibridge, RF
                And they're doing an excellent job of doing just that!
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Play the kids I say. Now Crawford's probably gone for the season and I'm sure Ellsbury will be right behind him. I'm not anti Ellsbury but he's got the same problem as Youkilis, he can't stay on field. Nice of Youk to want to play again now that he's in Chicago but much like Manny Ramirez' burst in LA this will fade and his old problems (breaking down constantly) will soon re-emerge.

All this high priced end of Epstein regime signings need to go. Crawford, Dice-K, Beckett, etc. The future of the team is Middlebrooks, Sweeney, Ross, Kalish, this kid who kicked butt as SS the other day, Lavarnway, etc. The team still has veteran leadership with Pedroia, Ortiz and Adrian Gonzales. Once Beckett is gone maybe Lester and Buchholz get it together. Bottom line is this team needs guys willing to play almost every day. Those players (really, Gonzales and that's about it since Ortiz is a DH) are few and very far between on this team.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

My only quibble is that the problem starts *cough* with the rotation.

This team has a bunch of "issues," just like every other team in the majors. But it has only one huge problem. The starting pitching is inexcusable. Solve that problem and the Red Sox are a wild card team, easily.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                      My only quibble is that the problem starts *cough* with the rotation.

This team has a bunch of "issues," just like every other team in the majors. But it has only one huge problem. The starting pitching is inexcusable. Solve that problem and the Red Sox are a wild card team, easily.
                      Do you think the problem is that John Farrell is not the pitching coach?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Do you think the problem is that John Farrell is not the head coach?
                        Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          Fixed.
                          1.5 years to go. Though I would have taken Tony Pena this year over Bobby V.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Call me crazy but I think Valentine has done a good job. His lineup has to change daily because of a rash of injuries from wimpy ballplayers who take time off for hangnails and excessive ear wax. His starting pitching has been atrocious. Beckett ought to give back money to the team and Lester needs to get his head out of his @ ss and start pitching like an ace. Buchholz is another wimp. Get him some roids already to bulk up and maybe be able to hold up an entire season. IMHO nobody could win with this team be it LaRussa, Pinella, Joe McCarthy, Casey Stengel or any of the other greats.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              Call me crazy but I think Valentine has done a good job. His lineup has to change daily because of a rash of injuries from wimpy ballplayers who take time off for hangnails and excessive ear wax. His starting pitching has been atrocious. Beckett ought to give back money to the team and Lester needs to get his head out of his @ ss and start pitching like an ace. Buchholz is another wimp. Get him some roids already to bulk up and maybe be able to hold up an entire season. IMHO nobody could win with this team be it LaRussa, Pinella, Joe McCarthy, Casey Stengel or any of the other greats.
                              Not crazy. He's done better than chicken salad out of chicken ****. He's delivered a box of popeye's spicy chicken breast WITH biscuits!
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                Francona did in 2010. But then again he had JF as the pitching coach, and they still missed the playoffs.

If you are Cherrington and Lucchino, do you blow the team up, or muddle through and hope the walking wounded come back in decent enough shape to make a run?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X