Sweet Valentine! The saga of the 2012 Boston Red Sox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sweet Valentine! The saga of the 2012 Boston Red Sox

This is a really bad day for Boston sports fans. Someone want to check and make sure Tom Brady is still alive and KG hasn't hurt himself on a trampoline?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      This is a really bad day for Boston sports fans. Someone want to check and make sure Tom Brady is still alive and KG hasn't hurt himself on a trampoline?
      TB may be breathing, but since the Brazilian Bombshell got her hooks into him, he's a big oh-fer in SB's.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The Boston Red Sox acquired outfielder Marlon Byrd and cash considerations from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for right-handed pitcher Michael Bowden and a player to be named later.

hmmmmm
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Looks like the front office is getting an early start on rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

I'm done with this team until things change. The players don't care - not one of them looked Bobby V in the eye as they filed past yesterday. The manager is out of touch - he said he left a reliever in to face a guy because the guy hadn't got a hit all year...the guy was 3-for-6 the night before AGAINST BOSTON! The front office is a neutered puppy - and every rival GM knows it. The ownership takes us for granted. As long as the precious string of *cough* sellouts *cough* continues, bricks are being sold and they play Sweet Caroline the owners don't care about the product on the field.

If I was John Henry...

Dump Larry Lucchino. Trade Beckett and Youkilis because they are clubhouse cancers. Either tell Ben Cherington the Red Sox are his baby, or get a GM you trust to do the job. That means when you tell him to hire a manager and he finds a manager he wants to hire, you don't take his balls and stuff them in a jar. You hire the freaking manager.

Or just sell the team, move to Liverpool and focus on the Reds. Or better yet, sell them too and go focus on NASCAR.

At least the NHL playoffs will keep me occupied until June.

Oh yeah, buy a brick.

Comment

Oh yeah, buy a brick.
              buy a limited addition bat

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                buy a limited addition bat
                The bullpen is getting multiplied. Thank heaven for the rainout. I think Francona and Valentine are both thankful.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  The Boston Red Sox acquired outfielder Marlon Byrd and cash considerations from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for right-handed pitcher Michael Bowden and a player to be named later.

hmmmmm
                  11-30 in last 41 games... despite being 3rd in runs per game during that time (and 30th in ERA). Bowden is pretty terrible (though not any worse than melancon) but is trading pitching for hitting really the answer here?
                  “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                  Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                  Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                  National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                    11-30 in last 41 games... despite being 3rd in runs per game during that time (and 30th in ERA). Bowden is pretty terrible (though not any worse than melancon) but is trading pitching for hitting really the answer here?
                    Bowden was out of options and was DFA anyway. Odds are that someone would have picked him up for nothing on the waiver wire. So at least the Red Sox got something...

Best part of the rainout is that the Red Sox can't lose! I hear the staff is still going to play Sweet Caroline at about 11:30 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                      byrd is what so far this year?? 3 for 40?

Comment

Bowden was out of options and was DFA anyway. Odds are that someone would have picked him up for nothing on the waiver wire. So at least the Red Sox got something...

Best part of the rainout is that the Red Sox can't lose! I hear the staff is still going to play Sweet Caroline at about 11:30 anyway.
                        well yeah, i think all of cherington's moves have been pretty good value so far. they got rid of people that were no longer part of their plans and received pretty good major league pieces for them. but i still question the move to waste his options in the first place. also that they could have tried to grab another arm - even if it wouldnt help them right away. serious lack of pitching depth in their system.

though weiland could be a guy they gave up too soon on.
                        “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                        Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                        Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                        National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Marlon Byrd says he's eager to play in the post season for the first time in his career...so I guess he's already demanding a trade...

Comment

Sounds like this next series is between two teams with no pitching. Should be fun.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

If I was John Henry...

Dump Larry Lucchino. Trade Beckett and Youkilis because they are clubhouse cancers. Either tell Ben Cherington the Red Sox are his baby, or get a GM you trust to do the job. That means when you tell him to hire a manager and he finds a manager he wants to hire, you don't take his balls and stuff them in a jar. You hire the freaking manager.
                              Disagree big time with the Lucchino comment. I agree mostly with the rest of it. This team has a culture of whining and aside from Pedroia doesn't seem to care if they lose. That's one reason I was sorry to see Papelbon go. The guy cared. Ownership needs to make a statement that Valentine is running the team and can discipline players as he sees fit. I too cringed when he retracted his correct comments calling out Youk. Either Youkilis is going to stop missing games for hangnails and paper cuts or he should be shipped off. If a guy can play QB with a broken rib in a much more violent game than baseball, then this idiot can get out there and give the team 130 games a year. I could also live with dealing Beckett. What I don't know is if that would change Lester or Bucholtz behavior any. Were I Valentine I would have benched Pedroia for a game believe it or not for contradicting him to the press. Shut up and play ball already.

Cherrington is on a short leash. I don't like the team he put together. Too thin at starting pitcher and in the bullpen. If money was a concern, okay you let Papelbon walk. Its not for the Sox so sign him. That's cascaded to the rest of the team. The set up man is needed in the rotation (really, who takes Bard's place every 5th game?), the long relief man is the closer, and a bunch of journeymen are manning the rest of the spots. That's on the GM, not the manager. They didn't address any of the critical issues in the offseason (RF, C, SS, back end of the rotation, outfield depth) and created one (Closer).
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I'm done with this team until things change.
                                I started the season this way and, aside from a few small moments of conversation when something else awful happens, I'm continuing this attitude until further notice.

Comment

Working...
                                X