X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sweet Valentine! The saga of the 2012 Boston Red Sox

Is there room on the Rays bandwagon?

Kidding. sort of.

At the Rays-Yanks game during the FF, I was struck by how easy it is to like the Rays. Then I thought back to the Red Sox and . . . who am I kidding. Just because it was a blessing to be a Sox fan for a couple years doesn't mean it isn't still a curse. I'm stuck with them.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

The Popeye's Fried Chicken in Kenmore Square has a sign out this morning that says "4 out of our 5 pitchers like our chicken best!" Ha ha!! All you can do is laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        The Popeye's Fried Chicken in Kenmore Square has a sign out this morning that says "4 out of our 5 pitchers like our chicken best!" Ha ha!! All you can do is laugh.
        Picture from Twitter: http://twitpic.com/999d1p That's so awful. But hey...

Comment

First pitch will be Wakefield and Varitek.

Comment

Well, my timing is as good as ever. Much hand-wringing in the Tampa area right now.

From the Bosox perspective, yesterday was still worrying. You still had a top of the rotation starter getting into an early hole.

Still . . . if they can win with Dubront and/or Bard as starter, it'll be a nice weekend, indeed.
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Red Sox win three in a row over a divisional foe heading into Marathon Monday, but the big news is Valentine calling out Youkilis and then not having him in the lineup today. In case you were afraid there wasn't enough drama on this team...

Comment

If the message was important, fine. There's a lot of season left.

But it's tough to lose 1-0 with one of your better bats on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                  If the message was important, fine. There's a lot of season left.

But it's tough to lose 1-0 with one of your better bats on the bench.
                  ... and with the only run scoring on a walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    Red Sox win three in a row over a divisional foe heading into Marathon Monday, but the big news is Valentine calling out Youkilis and then not having him in the lineup today. In case you were afraid there wasn't enough drama on this team...
                    I like Valentine's moves so far. He should be calling out Youk is he's batting .200 with no HR's. Yes he should have spoken to him beforehand but othewise what's the problem? Sox players are far too used to being babied.

Regarding Bard, let him learn how to get himself out of jams. If 37 year old Chris Carpenter could do it several times on the way to a WS championship last year, then a decade younger Bard needs to figure out how to do the same. Early in the season is a far better time for him to get this experience. The fans can S T F U.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      I like Valentine's moves so far. He should be calling out Youk is he's batting .200 with no HR's. Yes he should have spoken to him beforehand but othewise what's the problem? Sox players are far too used to being babied.
                      At the media conference before the game yesterday, Bobby V disavowed everything he had said about Youk and implied that the reporter had taken a shot at Youkilis and Bobby was coming to his defense. If you listen to the question and then Valentine's answer, there is absolutely no way you can conclude A) the reporter was taking any shot at Youkilis or B) that anything Valentine said was a defense of Youkilis. It was a generic question and Valentine took three or four shots at him. If he wants to call out his players, so be it, but don't call them out one day and then backtrack the next. Either do it or don't do it. This is the third or fourth time Bobby V has done this and it's already getting old.

As far as your thoughts on Bard, Carpenter has been a starter for how long? This was Bard's second major league start. Anyone could have told you that Bard at 107 pitches, bases loaded and Longoria at bat would be trouble. As soon as I realized Bobby V was going to leave him in I stopped watching. It was a given what was about to happen. At least it was only a walk so TB only scored one run but that's all it took to win.

Comment

I think the better argument with Bard is that the guy was a closer up until a few months ago, why is he throwing that many pitches in April? Is there some April pennant that I'm not aware of? The pen had been doing its job this week, I think it was a bad move to have Bard throw that much regardless of score or outcome.

Wouldn't you think they have him on an innings trajectory to manage his year? Why go to this extreme so early in the year?

Don't disagree with the babying comment, when your team does what it does last year, no player should be whining about some commentary...should Valentine have done that so early into the year?...maybe not, but if it motivates Youk to get his head and body into gear then I leave that to Valentine.
                        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Well that was not a nice game to watch in person.

In the space of about 10 minutes (or less), Mark Melancon's ERA went from 22.50 to 49.50.
                          Youk can't hit the barn side of a broad.
                          Of the 21 runs scored in the game, I believe just 5 (2 in the 2nd and 3 in the 3rd) did not come via the home run ball.

The good news is that I spent the last 2.5 innings in the Red Loge Box seats where there is fanny and leg room.

One more note hockey fans -- the Rangers stayed standing until the colors left the field after the National Anthem. Wish the Sox did that.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

New promotion from the Red Sox twitter. They normally do a "Tweet your Seat" and give away a T-shirt or some other memorabilia. Starting tomorrow, Tweet your Seat and you may have a chance to pitch an inning of relief!

Sweet Caroline is very appropriate tonight...

Oh, and don't forget to buy a brick.

Comment

Well, thank goodness there's hockey to watch. The bullpen is comically bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                Oh, and don't forget to buy a brick.
                                Old timers know what to do with a brick..

*****http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DNhuAChHEbE/TOypSJpz4NI/AAAAAAAACac/LfnrH0QdAuI/s1600/Youn%2B-%2BKrazy%2BKat%2Btrimmed.jpg******

One more thought -- as repeat offenders, can the bullpen get 25 games?
                                Last edited by joecct; 04-21-2012, 07:23 PM.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X