Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

Best part of being a Dad is getting two of your sons playing golf. Had a blast playing with middle son on Monday. Up to that point, he'd never taken a lesson so we came up with a way where he'd hit a drive (wicked slice), pick it up and then play from my where my drive landed.

He started lessons today and bought a starter set (Wilson XLR $199 @ Dicks). We play again Monday on the local 9 holer. It's a nice beginner course.

Youngest gets married next weekend and we're having a golf outing on Friday on the same course. Joining us will be my 4 year old grandson.

I've discovered golf is much more fun when you're playing with someone you know and like.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Four weeks into the college's golf league (that uses the term "league" loosely), not played yet due to rain, or too wet conditions.
      2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
      2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
      2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
      2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
      2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
      2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
      2009 D-III TOP runner-up
      Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
      1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

So a buddy of mine has the idea of doing the Myrtle Beach golf thing at the end of July... Anyone ever done that? Only been to Myrtle Beach once before, and that was to work a baseball tournament.... Didn't have more than a few hours to do anything touristy... Google is useless as you get a million hits and they are hard to tell what you are getting... Any suggestions? Looking for 3-4 days of golf and lodging... Would go for something that includes meals and/or a resort, but not needed... Looking for something under $400 if possible... Any ideas on what direction we should go with this?

Personally, I'd rather stay here in the Midwest, but my buddy has his heart set on taking Myrtle off his bucket list...
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Golfholiday.com is their website. Call them or clicky and pick what you want to suit your budget. 100 courses in the general area to fit whatever you want.
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-cours...treamsong.html

this'll be closer than Bandon...

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              So a buddy of mine has the idea of doing the Myrtle Beach golf thing at the end of July... Anyone ever done that? Only been to Myrtle Beach once before, and that was to work a baseball tournament.... Didn't have more than a few hours to do anything touristy... Google is useless as you get a million hits and they are hard to tell what you are getting... Any suggestions? Looking for 3-4 days of golf and lodging... Would go for something that includes meals and/or a resort, but not needed... Looking for something under $400 if possible... Any ideas on what direction we should go with this?

Personally, I'd rather stay here in the Midwest, but my buddy has his heart set on taking Myrtle off his bucket list...
              Call 1-800-642-3108 and ask for Brian Noblin. He'll bend over backwards to get you a good deal. We've used several different outfitters/brokers/whatever over 15 years of going there and this guy is far and away the best there is in MYR. He's played most if not all the courses there and will set you up with anything from bargain basement courses to the best of the Beach. Condos or Hotels, no problem, he'll fix it for you. Their website http://www.golfdesk.com/ has prices for reference.
              "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
              Groucho Marx
              "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
              Ron White
              "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
              Milo Bloom

Comment

Played a good but unfamiliar course today. Some birdies and a bunch of pars, but a triple and some doubles too. The short rough (not intermediate) was well maintained but very thick, and I didn't handle it well--nearly all the doubles and the triple came out of shots from those lies, especially on second shots. I'm used to playing on fast, challenging greens, but not this kind of short rough. Have to learn how to handle that.

Comment

I played 9 last saturday morning with another poster, we just had time to get a quick 9 in. I started off horrible, couldn't drive, couldn't hit an iron, putting was shakey...somehow managed to "save" a double bogey on the first, got an 8 on the second, and after a shanked drive on the 3rd, I figured I was in for a HUGE number. Then I turned it around. Ripped a 250 yard 3-wood out of the rough on the 3rd, put my next shot 10 feet from the pin and ended up with a tap-in par. I ended up playing the rest of the next 6 holes with nothing but 4's and 5's. Ah, the joys of my crazy golf game.

Also, found out that my girlfriend's parents live not to far from http://www.erinhills.com/ and we drove by, and in the driveway to see the clubhouse. Now I want to play it. I will play that course...
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

After three rounds at 80 or below, I puked it up today, spending a good share of my time in sand, tall grass, and trees. Mastery of this game is so elusive, at any stage of development. Why is that so attractive, when it's also so frustrating?

Comment

Final round of cosgrove goes off in 75 minutes. We are two shots behind in the A flight (would be 8 in champ flight!!). My pards can't play sober, so we need to get him lubricated quickly!!!!

Comment

Played a couple of rounds in the past week here and I'm really falling in love with my new Callaway irons.... Still figuring out distances, but overall they are a great improvement over what I had... They have a much more solid feel about them, even when I do have an off-center hit... There is also a noticeable difference in the spin rate off of these as well... Holding the greens much better as a result and getting a more penetrating ball flight... Also very happy with the addition of a Gap Wedge...

I'm sure the Golf Gods will bring me back to reality sooner or later, ha ha...
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Got used to living my soon to be Florida lifestyle and just went out for a quick 9 holes under some lights on an executive course. Nothing spectacular, played 2 over with 7 pars. After I move, I'll probably get new irons seeing how mine are my Dad's old Tour Model II's (knockoff ping eye 2) and they are older than I am.

Comment

Ended up finishing 2 shots out of first. Couldn't read those greens to save my ***. For the weekend I was 0-for-11 on birdie putts inside 15ft. Yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Ended up finishing 2 shots out of first. Couldn't read those greens to save my ***. For the weekend I was 0-for-11 on birdie putts inside 15ft. Yuck.
                              Are you saying you were inside 15 on 11 of 36 holes? Assuming they were fast greens, that's pretty good. You must have picked up some longer birdie putts to stay so close to winning.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Are you saying you were inside 15 on 11 of 36 holes? Assuming they were fast greens, that's pretty good. You must have picked up some longer birdie putts to stay so close to winning.
                                Yup. So good it's bad!

Comment

Working...
                                X