Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    I actually switched over to the yellow NXT Tour S for this season...

In addition to the softer feel, I think I can follow the ball a little easier, especially when against a hazy or cloudy sky...
    I like how they have an NXT with "Tour" in the name. You can't actually tell me that any golfer on the tour uses NXT's and not ProV1's.

I haven't played much lately, but for the past few years my favorite ball has been the Bridgestone B330 (that may have been replaced by a new Tour ball, but I don't know for sure)
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I like how they have an NXT with "Tour" in the name. You can't actually tell me that any golfer on the tour uses NXT's and not ProV1's.

I haven't played much lately, but for the past few years my favorite ball has been the Bridgestone B330 (that may have been replaced by a new Tour ball, but I don't know for sure)
      Well, unless you are paying ~ $4.25 per ball, no, you aren't getting "Tour" quality, ha ha... That's just a bit on the high side for me, ha ha... I'll stick with my NXT's till I can actually justify blaming the ball for a crappy shot

In other news, y'all can add me to the new club camp... I was out with a friend who was looking at some clubs and ended up hitting some for myself... I was really surprised at the feel of the Callaway Razr X Black irons... Also, they seemed quite forgiving despite having a slightly thinner sole than many other irons out right now... As someone who needs both forgiveness AND "playability", these seemed to be the right mix for a "Game improvement" set... Right out of the box, these seem to be about 5-8% longer over my ancient Wilson irons as well... Very happy with the results that I got in the simulator at Golf Galaxy...

This purchase is going to shuffle what I carry in the bag as well... The iron set is a 4-AW... The AW is something that I have wanted to pick up for a while, but didn't want just a single wedge... Also liked carrying three woods in the bag at the top end of the set... Well, after hitting the Razr X HL 3H, I will no longer need a 5-wood... Both go about 230-240, but the hybrid is much more consistent... It's almost all carry distance where as the 5-wood would include some roll... I'll gladly give up 5-10 yards in roll if that means being on the right edge of the fairway vs rolling a few yards into the rough... This does leave a distance gap between about 215 and 230 yards between the 3H and 4-iron, but I can deal with that...

Overall just need to save up for a bit, and I'll be out rocking
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

We're hosting the NCAA Women's Regional Tournament through Saturday. Wow, these women can play!
        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
          We're hosting the NCAA Women's Regional Tournament through Saturday. Wow, these women can play!
          How long are they off the tee? I'm watching the golf channel today and the women PGA are driving the ball 270+!!!! I get out there around 200 +- 10 yards.

I've played a few rounds with the Adams Hybrids / Irons. They added at least 20 yards over the old McGregor irons. I've dialed in the 5H -> PW. The 3H is still giving me trouble when I hit it from the rough. I seem to be getting too far under it and popping it up.

We have a local 9 hole course that I've been using to get used to and try different things out before I "employ" them on the 18 holers. Went out today and nailed it. Parred all the par 3's and only one 3 putt. Had 2 Phil Mickelson holes where I tried to hit the ball between some trees after the tee shot went awry. Any idea on how to avoid hitting trees?

GAWD golf is fun!
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            How long are they off the tee? I'm watching the golf channel today and the women PGA are driving the ball 270+!!!! I get out there around 200 +- 10 yards.

I've played a few rounds with the Adams Hybrids / Irons. They added at least 20 yards over the old McGregor irons. I've dialed in the 5H -> PW. The 3H is still giving me trouble when I hit it from the rough. I seem to be getting too far under it and popping it up.

We have a local 9 hole course that I've been using to get used to and try different things out before I "employ" them on the 18 holers. Went out today and nailed it. Parred all the par 3's and only one 3 putt. Had 2 Phil Mickelson holes where I tried to hit the ball between some trees after the tee shot went awry. Any idea on how to avoid hitting trees?

GAWD golf is fun!

From what I saw from them on the range many of them are well over 225. They're playing from the men's tees and are hitting it a lot farther than I do.

Glad the Adams sticks are working for you Joe. I'm thinking of saving $$ by reshafting my current set.

Can't help you with the trees, since I spend a lot of time there myself. But - as I always say - anybody can play down the middle but real men play from the rough.
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

I hit it 200 with a 5 iron. (280-300 with a driver)
              I'm long, but not very consistant or accurate.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

What's your normal warmup for a round?
                Bucket of balls? 20 minutes on the putting green?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  I usually like to get a bucket on the range, start off with a mid iron (7 usually), then some 9 irons, some 4 irons and then finish up with some drives. If I have a few balls leftover, I'll hit some wedges. Then I'll usually hit the practice green for some putts/chips.

I was getting 250-270 with my driver when I got out a few times back in April. I might try getting a new set of irons towards the fall, maybe some closeout/end of season deal or something. Of course, when I move to Florida, there isn't really an 'end of season'

Comment

Ideally I like to have 60-75 minutes of warmups before teeing off... I'll hit a mid-sized bucket starting with a PW and moving up a club after a few swings... I also like to stretch a few times as I loosen up... If the practice area allows it, I then like to hit some "bump and run" type shots to get an idea of the speed on the greens... From there I'll then do 15-20 minutes putting...

Then again, I hardly ever have this much time, so I guess it's a moot point
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Any time I get to spent at the club before I tee off is
                      1) talking to staff in the pro shop
                      2) getting a drink from the bar
                      3) chatting up fellow members
                      4) after dropping the bag on the first tee, throwing my ball on the adjacent putting green and maybe rolling one or two.
                      --- then teeing off.

And I like to set my alarm 15 minutes before tee time to wake up (I live 8 minutes from club)
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

BTW, what would you do...

Hit my approach shot into the green. Ball was above the hole. As I got to the green, I noticed something just off my line on the green and went to move it off.

STOP.

Baby snake sunning itself.

Do you move the snake, kill the snake or move on?

For herpotoligists, it was dark gray with diamond markings on the back.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          Any time I get to spent at the club before I tee off is
                          1) talking to staff in the pro shop
                          2) getting a drink from the bar
                          3) chatting up fellow members
                          4) after dropping the bag on the first tee, throwing my ball on the adjacent putting green and maybe rolling one or two.
                          --- then teeing off.

And I like to set my alarm 15 minutes before tee time to wake up (I live 8 minutes from club)
                          My club is one mile from my home and office! Swung a club for the first time yesterday in the back yard and my shoulder doesn't hurt!
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

• Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                            My club is one mile from my home and office! Swung a club for the first time yesterday in the back yard and my shoulder doesn't hurt!
                            On schedule? Or ahead I schedule? (June 5th'ish, right?)
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
                              I've got the new (non-square) grooves in my Vokey 60* and I hate them. Its amazing how much more spin my older 56* has coming into the green. I got it last year so I don't know if Vokey has made improvements since.
                              I've been golfing 4 years and play around a 9 -10 hcp. I got a 60* last year and just haven't figured it out yet. Much better with my 56 SW. I know the short game skills are hardest to master, so I'm keeping it around with the hope that I'll get there some day, but for now it stays in the garage.

Comment

Re warming up: I follow the same procedure as mookie, except I usually don't even look at the practice green. Take 3-4 practice swings on the tee box and let 'er rip.

Re the snake: Move the **** thing, ya pansy.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X