Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 527

Thread: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

  1. #101
    Iowa Football: Yearning for Bielema
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    15,561

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajoyce02 View Post
    If they end up making me feel like a pro, they might be the greatest irons ever. Thanks for the input.



    I've been good, yourself? Some things have changed in life for me over the last 12 months or so, so I just haven't had as much time to post here as often as I might like, though I still lurk a fair deal.

    I've set the top end of the budget at $1,000 which I think should get me a quality set of clubs that I'm hoping to get maybe another 10 years out of. All the new technology is what makes my mind spin, trying to match the right type of clubs to my game.
    Doing well, hope all of the changes have been positive for you.

    I'd look into maybe the TaylorMade Rocketballz irons. Yes, the name is funky, but the innovation is the best in the business. Basically they took the technology behind the driver, and put it into the irons.

    I also would suggest Titleist AP-2 irons. These might be a little bit cheaper for you as well, and they're more forgiving than some of Titelist's other irons.
    AF

  2. #102
    Cake or Death? ajoyce02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Waconia, Minnesota
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    Doing well, hope all of the changes have been positive for you.

    I'd look into maybe the TaylorMade Rocketballz irons. Yes, the name is funky, but the innovation is the best in the business. Basically they took the technology behind the driver, and put it into the irons.

    I also would suggest Titleist AP-2 irons. These might be a little bit cheaper for you as well, and they're more forgiving than some of Titelist's other irons.
    Glad to hear it! The change has been for the better thanks to a special young lady that puts up with me. I thought your guy Zach Johnson was poised to contend at Augusta this year after catching some of his round Thursday. Hit a few rough spots there in rounds 2 and 3 though.

    I have to say the Taylor Made irons have, at least initially, been near the top of my list of those I'm interested in testing. So many people have been raving about their irons in recent years, though I don't know anyone that plays the new RBZ irons yet. I could always poke around the internet for some user reviews on those though.
    Last edited by ajoyce02; 04-09-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
    USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru


    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty
    I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
    Quote Originally Posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
    I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

  3. #103
    Official Bottom Ten Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Posts
    23,379

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Great last couple days of the tournament. I'm a Lefty fan, but if he didn't win it, I'm glad Bubba did. Gotta love how he was anxious about getting away from the Masters and back home to his recently adopted child.

  4. #104
    joecct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18,641

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Golf is such a fun, frustrating game!

    Played a 9 hole course today in a nice breeze (20 mph+).

    Knew it was going to be a day of ups and downs when my driver took 1/2 the range balls to get it straight. But wonder of wonders, I got my 2 wood to cooperate by putting my feet shoulder width apart. The long irons are still a work in progress - the distance is not there, but at least they went straight.

    Got 2 GIR's (wow!), but 3 putted a bunch of holes. Ended up with a 51 on a par 34.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    3 grandsons

  5. #105
    Alien With an Attitude
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The True North Strong and Free
    Posts
    10,216

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajoyce02 View Post
    So happy to see Bubba win, truly is well deserved. Oosthuizen played one heck of a round, the guy was (for the most part) just downright solid all day. I think like many others, I was waiting for the Mickelson charge on the back nine but it just never came, talk about adding more drama had it happened. As much as I'm happy for Bubba, I was pulling for Kuchar today. The guy has a major waiting in the near future I think.
    What a fantastic finish. I'm surprised at how Bubba was able to keep the emotions in check until that final tap-in. Great to see him win the green jacket. Added bonus for me that his wife Angie is a Toronto native like me!

    Quote Originally Posted by ajoyce02 View Post
    Now, on to the real reason I'm posting tonight, I'm looking for some input. I'm potentially in the market for a new set of irons. I'll be making the decision of course based on how I feel hitting them, but there's so much on the market now I'd like to narrow it down a bit to begin with. I'd classify myself as a very average golfer. My handicap seems to hover between 14 and 19 most of the time. I'm currently playing a set of Callaway Big Bertha irons that are 10 years old. If I had to pick a flaw in my game, and there are probably many, I'd say my iron play is at the top of the list. I can't hit a long iron to save my life, which leads me towards wanting a set that comes with hybrids, even though I don't currently own a hybrid club.

    Thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    Take it from someone with a 17 handicap -- ADAMS, ADAMS, ADAMS!

    The hybrids are great -- forgiving and easy to hit. You won't be disappointed.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

  6. #106
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Dasmarinas, Philippines
    Posts
    26,112

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Not sure I saw it mentioned and maybe there is no way to know for sure, but anyone try to process Phil deciding to hit the one shot back-handed rather than taking the penalty and 2 club lengths? I assume he assumed he wouldn't chunk it, but he could afford a bogey there given how well he'd played the back nine - especially Saturday. I mean that's part of what makes Phil Phil and why he hit the flop yesterday that no other player probably would have, but even before he hit it everyone watching with me thought he should take the stroke.

  7. #107
    joecct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18,641

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Can somebody give me good explanation of hybrids and why they are better than long irons? Does a 3 hybrid = a 3 iron?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    3 grandsons

  8. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Windy Arm, YU
    Posts
    635

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Can somebody give me good explanation of hybrids and why they are better than long irons? Does a 3 hybrid = a 3 iron?
    The bigger club head just makes it so much easier to get lift on the ball, they are much easier to hit off of tight lies and out of the rough. I don't really know how to explain it you just have to trust us The good news is you can test them out for yourself at any driving range with a pro shop before buying them. As a poster above said, Adams Golf makes some great hybrids and they are pretty affordable too. Some purists still cling to long irons but I think once you try a hybrid out you'll be hooked and it will make your rounds more enjoyable.

  9. #109
    joecct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18,641

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by MUnRPI View Post
    The bigger club head just makes it so much easier to get lift on the ball, they are much easier to hit off of tight lies and out of the rough. I don't really know how to explain it you just have to trust us The good news is you can test them out for yourself at any driving range with a pro shop before buying them. As a poster above said, Adams Golf makes some great hybrids and they are pretty affordable too. Some purists still cling to long irons but I think once you try a hybrid out you'll be hooked and it will make your rounds more enjoyable.
    TGW has them at a nice price. I don't want to go to a Dick's, though, and try them out and then walk out without buying them. I'd feel like an ahole. So guess I may have to find a golf store around here or go to the pro shop and ask the boss.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    3 grandsons

  10. #110
    Alien With an Attitude
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The True North Strong and Free
    Posts
    10,216

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    TGW has them at a nice price. I don't want to go to a Dick's, though, and try them out and then walk out without buying them. I'd feel like an ahole. So guess I may have to find a golf store around here or go to the pro shop and ask the boss.
    Joe
    If you don't want or need the latest Adams model, take a look at Rock Bottom Golf for good deals.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

  11. #111
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    28,662

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    TGW has them at a nice price. I don't want to go to a Dick's, though, and try them out and then walk out without buying them. I'd feel like an ahole. So guess I may have to find a golf store around here or go to the pro shop and ask the boss.
    Find a local course that has a demo day and go try a bunch of them.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  12. #112
    joecct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    18,641

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    Joe
    If you don't want or need the latest Adams model, take a look at Rock Bottom Golf for good deals.
    Steve

    If I may ask, which ones do you have?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    3 grandsons

  13. #113
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    29,148

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    TGW has them at a nice price. I don't want to go to a Dick's, though, and try them out and then walk out without buying them. I'd feel like an ahole. So guess I may have to find a golf store around here or go to the pro shop and ask the boss.
    i can't stress enough that you need to hit something before you decide to buy. and when you know what you want, tell them what you want to pay - let them know the price you can get (with all the shipping, etc) and let them decide whether or not they want to match that. if they don't walk away and know you gave them a chance. if you want to factor in $20-25 for the test range to pay them on top of any club price to make their price competitive to online, do that too. they have the ability to throw in a % off coupon or something.

    you don't go to a jewelers and pay retail, do you? same difference.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  14. #114
    Iowa Football: Yearning for Bielema
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    15,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Not sure I saw it mentioned and maybe there is no way to know for sure, but anyone try to process Phil deciding to hit the one shot back-handed rather than taking the penalty and 2 club lengths? I assume he assumed he wouldn't chunk it, but he could afford a bogey there given how well he'd played the back nine - especially Saturday. I mean that's part of what makes Phil Phil and why he hit the flop yesterday that no other player probably would have, but even before he hit it everyone watching with me thought he should take the stroke.
    Because he couldn't go closer to the hole, it wouldve taken him deeper into the trees and probably screwing him more.

    His best opportunity to get it on te green in three would've been from the tee, which he even said outlook during the coverage, but decided against it, ultimately costing him likely the extra stroke.

  15. #115
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    28,662

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    Because he couldn't go closer to the hole, it wouldve taken him deeper into the trees and probably screwing him more.

    His best opportunity to get it on te green in three would've been from the tee, which he even said outlook during the coverage, but decided against it, ultimately costing him likely the extra stroke.
    I have done that backwards wedge shot before and pulled it off much better than he did, then again, I get much more practice hitting from the shrubbery.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  16. #116
    Iowa Football: Yearning for Bielema
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    15,561
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I have done that backwards wedge shot before and pulled it off much better than he did, then again, I get much more practice hitting from the shrubbery.
    I truly believe he didn't hit it as well because he was afraid of hitting himself, which is a two stroke penalty, thus he didnt commit to it..

  17. #117
    Alien With an Attitude
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The True North Strong and Free
    Posts
    10,216

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Steve

    If I may ask, which ones do you have?
    I'm still playing the original A-1 hybrids but I'm looking at the A-7 or A-12.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

  18. #118
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,222

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Maybe everyone has seen this and I'm late to the party. Pretty funny.

    ******** class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PM2NocuEihw?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0">


    Ben Crane = hilarious.

  19. #119
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,222

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    More Ben Crane...


    ******** class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Cl7B55srBhs?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0">

  20. #120
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    9,631

    Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

    Played 9 last Weds (Par 36) and shot 48 for my first action of the season. Then played 18 yesterday (par 71) and shot 94 (49-45, same course as Weds). Lots of wind yesterday and cool temps, but had way too many bogeys/double bogeys. Heading out shortly to get another 18 in at the same course, windy but warm, hopefully I'll do a bit better and get into the 80's.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •