Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

Have not seen a golf thread in a while and I thought I'd restart it with my tale...

It's been a while since I last played (70's) so I paid a local pro for 3 lessons and he helped enormously. But after a few times on the range, I realized my driver and I were not communicating. I wanted to go straight, the driver wanted to go right. Went to Dick's and found a Taylor Superfast Burner Driver that now goes straight for about 200 yards off the tee if I do everything right (oops correct).

I live in suburban MD and we have a bunch of county (well) run courses (www.mcggolf.com). Prices are reasonable. So I went out and played two 9 hole rounds this past week. Shot a 53 and an 50. That 50 could have been a lot lower if my putting was any good. I had 3 birdie opportunities that I 3 putted to bogies.

Bolstered with (false?) confidence, on Wednesday I will try the 18 hole course nearby. Wish me luck. It's long and hilly and requires carts all the way. My goal is to keep it under 100. If I fail, I want to keep it under my weight, which is a lot more than 100. Here's the scorecard. I'm playing the green tees.

Any hints on how to hit a long iron or fairway wood/metal? They're my problem children right now.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

Picked up a Taylor Made R-11 Driver last Sunday.... Took it out to the range on Yesterday... Something is now rattling around inside the club head

Anyone ever have to deal with Taylor Made Customer Service?
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

75 today.

Good start to the MA golf season (if not the handicap )
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Played 27 holes yesterday. Very inconsistent. Fired a 44-38-82 and then replayed the front and fired a 39. My putting is finally coming back into shape. Need to be more consistent off the tee and in my approach shots.

Long irons you need good tempo, and a nice easy swing; don't try and kill the ball because you have a farther distance. Trust your swing.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Any hints on how to hit a long iron or fairway wood/metal? They're my problem children right now.
          I'm not really that good of a golfer, probably about the same as you are right now, based on the scores you posted, but by some miracle I can hit long irons. My most consistant club is the 3 iron, and I hit it about 220 and straight consistantly. For the longest time I was told to not even try hitting the 3 or 4 iron until I got better with my short irons, but once I tried them I couldn't go back. Now when I golf with my dad he is constantly telling me to hit the 3 iron instead of the driver off the tee. (I still always hit the driver, I'm not good enough to care if I cut a couple strokes off the score, I'm there to have fun, and hitting the ball 300 yards is a bunch of fun, even if it goes 150 yards left every once in a while)
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

For Fairway Metals/Long Irons, you might want to look into Hybrids and/or Rescue clubs... They combine the best attributes of woods and irons.... They have gone a long way in making these clubs easier to hit... There are a variety of clubs on the market that will replace 4, 5 woods and 3,4,5 irons...

Comment

Get rid of anything lower than a 4 iron. (and replace it with a hybrid) The secret to hitting low irons is committing to the swing and hitting down on the ball. Most people come out of their swing too early and try to "guide" the ball into the air. This almost always causes you to hit it thin.

Comment

I went to the range today and tried something that the pro told me. Don't go for distance, just find a swing where it goes straight and then work on distance once you have the accuracy solved.

5 buckets of balls later.......

Just kidding.... got the 3 off the carpet to around 150 with the roll. 75% it was straight. For now, I'll take it. The driver is 90% 200 yards down the middle.

Then I went to the chipping / putting green. What was working fine last week was a horror show. Of course the range chipping area resembled my back yard, so I am not THAT concerned. Now figuring on getting the right speed on the putt. For the most part, it seems my NJ Turnpike roots are in my putter. Too hard on the pedal!!
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I went to the range today and tried something that the pro told me. Don't go for distance, just find a swing where it goes straight and then work on distance once you have the accuracy solved.

5 buckets of balls later.......

Just kidding.... got the 3 off the carpet to around 150 with the roll. 75% it was straight. For now, I'll take it. The driver is 90% 200 yards down the middle.

Then I went to the chipping / putting green. What was working fine last week was a horror show. Of course the range chipping area resembled my back yard, so I am not THAT concerned. Now figuring on getting the right speed on the putt. For the most part, it seems my NJ Turnpike roots are in my putter. Too hard on the pedal!!
                  When you're putting, just work on tempo. same speed the whole way through, pendulum style. You don't want to accelerate through it or decelerate coming into contact, ever.
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    When you're putting, just work on tempo. same speed the whole way through, pendulum style. You don't want to accelerate through it or decelerate coming into contact, ever.
                    extend and hold your follow-through as well.
                    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

OK Gang here it goes -- played 10th hole 1st.... The back 9 at the course is very difficult.

In: 5-5-7 7-6-5 4-7-6 = 52
                      Out: 5-6-5 4-6-7 5-5-5 = 48 100

The lone par (#16) came after a penalty stroke for hitting it out of bounds on a short par 4. After the drop, lofted an 8 iron within 4 feet and rolled it in for the par. One triple came after dumping it into a bunker and it took 3 shots to get out. Most of the greens were 2 putts.

The greens and fairways were hard - almost like concrete. You did not have to hit hard to have the little ball roll a long way. The guy I was paired with chipped across the fairway to get out from behind a tree and the ball rolled across the fairway into out of bounds. The ball hit 1/3 of the way across a flat fairway and just kept rolling and rolling.

I talked to the Assistant Pro (the one who gave me lessons) in the clubhouse after the round and he was pleased. I was overjoyed. So I'll play next week and see if I can keep it around the same score.

Thanks for all the advice -- it helped. So did Lady Luck on a few holes. Sliced one off the tee and it hit an out of bounds marker and bounded back into play. Got a double bogey on that one.
                      Last edited by joecct; 04-04-2012, 09:18 PM. Reason: Disqualified - bad scorecard!
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

OK Gang here it goes -- played 10th hole 1st.... The back 9 at the course is very difficult.

In: 5-5-7 7-6-5 4-7-6 = 54
                        Out: 5-6-5 4-6-7 5-5-5 = 48 102

The lone par (#16) came after a penalty stroke for hitting it out of bounds on a short par 4. After the drop, lofted an 8 iron within 4 feet and rolled it in for the par. One triple came after dumping it into a bunker and it took 3 shots to get out. Most of the greens were 2 putts.

The greens and fairways were hard - almost like concrete. You did not have to hit hard to have the little ball roll a long way. The guy I was paired with chipped across the fairway to get out from behind a tree and the ball rolled across the fairway into out of bounds. The ball hit 1/3 of the way across a flat fairway and just kept rolling and rolling.

I talked to the Assistant Pro (the one who gave me lessons) in the clubhouse after the round and he was pleased. I was overjoyed. So I'll play next week and see if I can keep it around the same score.

Thanks for all the advice -- it helped. So did Lady Luck on a few holes. Sliced one off the tee and it hit an out of bounds marker and bounded back into play. Got a double bogey on that one.
                        It's holes like the 16th for you that, no matter how bad the rest of the round may have gone (not in your case necessarily, but generally speaking), it makes us want to come back again another time.

Glad to see that you seem to be enjoying it so far!

I can't wait to break my clubs out, maybe next week when I get back from Florida I'll have some time. Didn't want to lug them down here with me. Silly, I know, but I will hopefully be moving down here by summer and get to play year round when I'm not working.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                          It's holes like the 16th for you that, no matter how bad the rest of the round may have gone (not in your case necessarily, but generally speaking), it makes us want to come back again another time.
                          My most memorable shot ever came on a par 3 after I had already snap-hooked two balls into the water. The drop area was about 125 out, and I holed it for the double bogey. Funny how the game is so rewarding even in the most frustrating moments.

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
                            My most memorable shot ever came on a par 3 after I had already snap-hooked two balls into the water. The drop area was about 125 out, and I holed it for the double bogey. Funny how the game is so rewarding even in the most frustrating moments.
                            I remember Fred Couples doing that on the 17th at TPC Sawgrass a few years ago... Plunked the tee shot into the water... Came back and holed the next shot from the drop area.... Nice way to save par...

Comment

My most memorable shot was the same thing on a par 3, except I didn't dump 2 in the woods first.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                              X