Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

I just can't get over how incredible Sunday afternoon at The Masters is. It never disappoints.

Bubba is the man, yeah, he's my new favorite golfer. But lost in this is the round that Louis Oosthuizen put up, he was also pretty great. I have no problem rooting for a guy like that. Really, no matter which way that playoff went I would have been happy with the result. Overall, its just another Augusta story that we'll be remembering for a long, long time.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I love this tournament. I'll usually follow the opens, but I don't take time to find them like I will the Masters.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        I just can't get over how incredible Sunday afternoon at The Masters is. It never disappoints.

Bubba is the man, yeah, he's my new favorite golfer. But lost in this is the round that Louis Oosthuizen put up, he was also pretty great. I have no problem rooting for a guy like that. Really, no matter which way that playoff went I would have been happy with the result. Overall, its just another Augusta story that we'll be remembering for a long, long time.
        This post is great.

It says something when everyone you know, or so it seems, tunes into Sunday at Augusta. It 's magical. It's surreal. The course looks almost too perfect. That green jacket is the most coveted prize in golf. The play is always superb, and there's always a story.

Did you know Bubba Watson has never had a lesson or taken advice? 100 percent self taught.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

So happy to see Bubba win, truly is well deserved. Oosthuizen played one heck of a round, the guy was (for the most part) just downright solid all day. I think like many others, I was waiting for the Mickelson charge on the back nine but it just never came, talk about adding more drama had it happened. As much as I'm happy for Bubba, I was pulling for Kuchar today. The guy has a major waiting in the near future I think.

Now, on to the real reason I'm posting tonight, I'm looking for some input. I'm potentially in the market for a new set of irons. I'll be making the decision of course based on how I feel hitting them, but there's so much on the market now I'd like to narrow it down a bit to begin with. I'd classify myself as a very average golfer. My handicap seems to hover between 14 and 19 most of the time. I'm currently playing a set of Callaway Big Bertha irons that are 10 years old. If I had to pick a flaw in my game, and there are probably many, I'd say my iron play is at the top of the list. I can't hit a long iron to save my life, which leads me towards wanting a set that comes with hybrids, even though I don't currently own a hybrid club.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks in advance.
          04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
          USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
          I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
          Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
          I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Originally posted by ajoyce02 View Post
            So happy to see Bubba win, truly is well deserved. Oosthuizen played one heck of a round, the guy was (for the most part) just downright solid all day. I think like many others, I was waiting for the Mickelson charge on the back nine but it just never came, talk about adding more drama had it happened. As much as I'm happy for Bubba, I was pulling for Kuchar today. The guy has a major waiting in the near future I think.

Now, on to the real reason I'm posting tonight, I'm looking for some input. I'm potentially in the market for a new set of irons. I'll be making the decision of course based on how I feel hitting them, but there's so much on the market now I'd like to narrow it down a bit to begin with. I'd classify myself as a very average golfer. My handicap seems to hover between 14 and 19 most of the time. I'm currently playing a set of Callaway Big Bertha irons that are 10 years old. If I had to pick a flaw in my game, and there are probably many, I'd say my iron play is at the top of the list. I can't hit a long iron to save my life, which leads me towards wanting a set that comes with hybrids, even though I don't currently own a hybrid club.

How you been man? Long time no talk.

What are you willing to spend on irons? Some of the technology on the new irons is absolutely phenomenal and there are a lot of super forgiving clubs nowadays.
            AF 99

Comment

I play the Nike blades and have always been a fan of their irons but if your not looking for forged irons then I would suggest demoing the Nike Slingshots. Easiest and most forgiving irons I have ever hit. The consist trajectory you get from them being more weighted at the bottom makes you feel like a pro http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikegol...sku=gi7182-001

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
                I play the Nike blades and have always been a fan of their irons but if your not looking for forged irons then I would suggest demoing the Nike Slingshots. Easiest and most forgiving irons I have ever hit. The consist trajectory you get from them being more weighted at the bottom makes you feel like a pro http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikegol...sku=gi7182-001
                If they end up making me feel like a pro, they might be the greatest irons ever. Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                How you been man? Long time no talk.

What are you willing to spend on irons? Some of the technology on the new irons is absolutely phenomenal and there are a lot of super forgiving clubs nowadays.
                I've been good, yourself? Some things have changed in life for me over the last 12 months or so, so I just haven't had as much time to post here as often as I might like, though I still lurk a fair deal.

I've set the top end of the budget at $1,000 which I think should get me a quality set of clubs that I'm hoping to get maybe another 10 years out of. All the new technology is what makes my mind spin, trying to match the right type of clubs to my game.

Comment

It looks like Phil has set his sights on one of Nicklaus' records, number of top five finishes in the Majors that didn't win.

I'm a little confused by the scoring nomenclature, though....a failed bogie (+1) leads to a double-bogie (= 2* +1) leads to a triple bogie (= 3 * +1).

I get that part.

But if you do better than a birdie (-1) you don't get a double-birdie, you get an eagle* (-2) but if you do one better you get, not a triple birdie, but a double eagle, even though it is scored -3 and not twice an eagle (2 * -2).....I suppose whomever came up with these names didn't go "birdie -> eagle -> condor because eagle was the biggest bird of which they were aware at the time?

(Or maybe it was just a courtesy to Dr.D, when he exclaimed "I was told there would be no math"?)

* except that -2 on a par-3 is not an "eagle" it is a "hole-in-one" which makes a certain kind of sense, same as a "hole-in-one" on a par-4 is not a double eagle there but only on a par 5....and since we don't yet play golf on Jupiter, there are no par-6 holes, I suppose, even though for me, shooting 45 on a nine-hole course called a "par 3" is a great round.
                  Last edited by FreshFish; 04-09-2012, 12:42 PM.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    It looks like Phil has set his sights on one of Nicklaus' records, number of top five finishes in the Majors that didn't win.

I'm a little confused by the scoring nomenclature, though....a failed bogie (+1) leads to a double-bogie (= 2* +1) leads to a triple bogie (= 3 * +1).

I get that part.

But if you do better than a birdie (-1) you don't get a double-birdie, you get an eagle* (-2) but if you do one better you get, not a triple birdie, but a double eagle, even though it is scored -3 and not twice an eagle (2 * -2).....I suppose whomever came up with these names didn't go "birdie -> eagle -> condor because eagle was the biggest bird of which they were aware at the time?

(Or maybe it was just a courtesy to Dr.D, when he exclaimed "I was told there would be no math"?)

* except that -2 on a par-3 is not an "eagle" it is a "hole-in-one" which makes a certain kind of sense, same as a "hole-in-one" on a par-4 is not a double eagle there but only on a par 5....and since we don't yet play golf on Jupiter, there are no par-6 holes, I suppose, even though for me, shooting 45 on a nine-hole course called a "par 3" is a great round.
                    You put way too much thought into this.

Also a double eagle is also known as an albatross.

edit: Lastly, par 6's exist http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21116556...t/are-you-par/
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      You put way too much thought into this.
                      And we haven't even gotten to the swing mechanics yet

Comment

If they end up making me feel like a pro, they might be the greatest irons ever. Thanks for the input.

I've been good, yourself? Some things have changed in life for me over the last 12 months or so, so I just haven't had as much time to post here as often as I might like, though I still lurk a fair deal.

I've set the top end of the budget at $1,000 which I think should get me a quality set of clubs that I'm hoping to get maybe another 10 years out of. All the new technology is what makes my mind spin, trying to match the right type of clubs to my game.
                        Doing well, hope all of the changes have been positive for you.

I'd look into maybe the TaylorMade Rocketballz irons. Yes, the name is funky, but the innovation is the best in the business. Basically they took the technology behind the driver, and put it into the irons.

I also would suggest Titleist AP-2 irons. These might be a little bit cheaper for you as well, and they're more forgiving than some of Titelist's other irons.
                        AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                          Doing well, hope all of the changes have been positive for you.

I'd look into maybe the TaylorMade Rocketballz irons. Yes, the name is funky, but the innovation is the best in the business. Basically they took the technology behind the driver, and put it into the irons.

I also would suggest Titleist AP-2 irons. These might be a little bit cheaper for you as well, and they're more forgiving than some of Titelist's other irons.
                          Glad to hear it! The change has been for the better thanks to a special young lady that puts up with me. I thought your guy Zach Johnson was poised to contend at Augusta this year after catching some of his round Thursday. Hit a few rough spots there in rounds 2 and 3 though.

I have to say the Taylor Made irons have, at least initially, been near the top of my list of those I'm interested in testing. So many people have been raving about their irons in recent years, though I don't know anyone that plays the new RBZ irons yet. I could always poke around the internet for some user reviews on those though.
                          Last edited by ajoyce02; 04-09-2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Great last couple days of the tournament. I'm a Lefty fan, but if he didn't win it, I'm glad Bubba did. Gotta love how he was anxious about getting away from the Masters and back home to his recently adopted child.
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Golf is such a fun, frustrating game!

Played a 9 hole course today in a nice breeze (20 mph+).

Knew it was going to be a day of ups and downs when my driver took 1/2 the range balls to get it straight. But wonder of wonders, I got my 2 wood to cooperate by putting my feet shoulder width apart. The long irons are still a work in progress - the distance is not there, but at least they went straight.

Got 2 GIR's (wow!), but 3 putted a bunch of holes. Ended up with a 51 on a par 34.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

What a fantastic finish. I'm surprised at how Bubba was able to keep the emotions in check until that final tap-in. Great to see him win the green jacket. Added bonus for me that his wife Angie is a Toronto native like me!

Take it from someone with a 17 handicap -- ADAMS, ADAMS, ADAMS!

The hybrids are great -- forgiving and easy to hit. You won't be disappointed.
                                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Working...
                                X