Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Golf Season - No matter how you slice it, it's still fun.

Not sure I saw it mentioned and maybe there is no way to know for sure, but anyone try to process Phil deciding to hit the one shot back-handed rather than taking the penalty and 2 club lengths? I assume he assumed he wouldn't chunk it, but he could afford a bogey there given how well he'd played the back nine - especially Saturday. I mean that's part of what makes Phil Phil and why he hit the flop yesterday that no other player probably would have, but even before he hit it everyone watching with me thought he should take the stroke.

Comment

Can somebody give me good explanation of hybrids and why they are better than long irons? Does a 3 hybrid = a 3 iron?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Can somebody give me good explanation of hybrids and why they are better than long irons? Does a 3 hybrid = a 3 iron?
        The bigger club head just makes it so much easier to get lift on the ball, they are much easier to hit off of tight lies and out of the rough. I don't really know how to explain it you just have to trust us The good news is you can test them out for yourself at any driving range with a pro shop before buying them. As a poster above said, Adams Golf makes some great hybrids and they are pretty affordable too. Some purists still cling to long irons but I think once you try a hybrid out you'll be hooked and it will make your rounds more enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
          The bigger club head just makes it so much easier to get lift on the ball, they are much easier to hit off of tight lies and out of the rough. I don't really know how to explain it you just have to trust us The good news is you can test them out for yourself at any driving range with a pro shop before buying them. As a poster above said, Adams Golf makes some great hybrids and they are pretty affordable too. Some purists still cling to long irons but I think once you try a hybrid out you'll be hooked and it will make your rounds more enjoyable.
          TGW has them at a nice price. I don't want to go to a Dick's, though, and try them out and then walk out without buying them. I'd feel like an ahole. So guess I may have to find a golf store around here or go to the pro shop and ask the boss.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

TGW has them at a nice price. I don't want to go to a Dick's, though, and try them out and then walk out without buying them. I'd feel like an ahole. So guess I may have to find a golf store around here or go to the pro shop and ask the boss.
            Joe
            If you don't want or need the latest Adams model, take a look at Rock Bottom Golf for good deals.
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Find a local course that has a demo day and go try a bunch of them.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                Joe
                If you don't want or need the latest Adams model, take a look at Rock Bottom Golf for good deals.
                Steve

If I may ask, which ones do you have?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

i can't stress enough that you need to hit something before you decide to buy. and when you know what you want, tell them what you want to pay - let them know the price you can get (with all the shipping, etc) and let them decide whether or not they want to match that. if they don't walk away and know you gave them a chance. if you want to factor in $20-25 for the test range to pay them on top of any club price to make their price competitive to online, do that too. they have the ability to throw in a % off coupon or something.

you don't go to a jewelers and pay retail, do you? same difference.
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Not sure I saw it mentioned and maybe there is no way to know for sure, but anyone try to process Phil deciding to hit the one shot back-handed rather than taking the penalty and 2 club lengths? I assume he assumed he wouldn't chunk it, but he could afford a bogey there given how well he'd played the back nine - especially Saturday. I mean that's part of what makes Phil Phil and why he hit the flop yesterday that no other player probably would have, but even before he hit it everyone watching with me thought he should take the stroke.
                    Because he couldn't go closer to the hole, it wouldve taken him deeper into the trees and probably screwing him more.

His best opportunity to get it on te green in three would've been from the tee, which he even said outlook during the coverage, but decided against it, ultimately costing him likely the extra stroke.
                    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                      Because he couldn't go closer to the hole, it wouldve taken him deeper into the trees and probably screwing him more.

His best opportunity to get it on te green in three would've been from the tee, which he even said outlook during the coverage, but decided against it, ultimately costing him likely the extra stroke.
                      I have done that backwards wedge shot before and pulled it off much better than he did, then again, I get much more practice hitting from the shrubbery.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        I have done that backwards wedge shot before and pulled it off much better than he did, then again, I get much more practice hitting from the shrubbery.
                        I truly believe he didn't hit it as well because he was afraid of hitting himself, which is a two stroke penalty, thus he didnt commit to it..
                        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Steve

If I may ask, which ones do you have?
                          I'm still playing the original A-1 hybrids but I'm looking at the A-7 or A-12.
                          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Maybe everyone has seen this and I'm late to the party. Pretty funny.

Ben Crane = hilarious.

Comment

More Ben Crane...

Comment

Played 9 last Weds (Par 36) and shot 48 for my first action of the season. Then played 18 yesterday (par 71) and shot 94 (49-45, same course as Weds). Lots of wind yesterday and cool temps, but had way too many bogeys/double bogeys. Heading out shortly to get another 18 in at the same course, windy but warm, hopefully I'll do a bit better and get into the 80's.

Comment

Working...
                                X