Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

So UMass-Lowell will NOT be the season opener for hockey. Bentley will instead play the River Hawks on 12/30 instead of 10/13. The season opener will be a 7 PM game on Tuesday 10/16 against Sacred Heart.

I wonder what happened?
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

An early version of the schedule had UML playing Bentley in a home-and-home, with the second game on that 12/30 date.
      Bentley University Hockey
      On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
        So UMass-Lowell will NOT be the season opener for hockey. Bentley will instead play the River Hawks on 12/30 instead of 10/13. The season opener will be a 7 PM game on Tuesday 10/16 against Sacred Heart.

I wonder what happened?
        Game still listed for 10/13, but moved up to 4:05 pm on the Tsongas website.

http://www.tsongascenter.com/events....00&eventtype=0

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Game still listed for 10/13, but moved up to 4:05 pm on the Tsongas website.

http://www.tsongascenter.com/events....00&eventtype=0
          I heard some rumblings on campus this week that it was UMass-Lowell's decision and that Bentley wanted the game kept on 10/13. It is on the Bentley schedule as 12/30.

Something smells foul about this.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

I heard some rumblings on campus this week that it was UMass-Lowell's decision and that Bentley wanted the game kept on 10/13. It is on the Bentley schedule as 12/30.

Something smells foul about this.
            The UMass Lowell site has the game listed as 12/30/12 (Sun @ 4:00 pm). Apparently the Tsongas site hasn't been updated.
            http://www.goriverhawks.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey&

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
              The UMass Lowell site has the game listed as 12/30/12 (Sun @ 4:00 pm). Apparently the Tsongas site hasn't been updated.
              http://www.goriverhawks.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey&
              Thanks for heads up, boblav and humanoid. Actually, this schedule change is fine by me, as now my brother from Colorado who will be visiting over the holidays will have another game that he can attend. And, maybe the Catamounts will put the River Hawks into a snooze trance the night before.
              Last edited by Snively65; 09-07-2012, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks for heads up, boblav and humanoid. Actually, this schedule change is fine by me, as now my brother from Colorado who will be visiting over the holidays will have another game that he can attend. And, maybe the Catamounts will put the River Hawks into a snooze trance the night before.
                The original schedule had Lowell playing Bentley, after UVM. With the change now, Lowell will have 20 days off prior to that matchup.
                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  The original schedule had Lowell playing Bentley, after UVM. With the change now, Lowell will have 20 days off prior to that matchup.
                  With the Bentley-Northeastern game on Jan 9, I'm going to assume this is a UML move. it is always the preference of Coach Soderquist to play only one OOC around January 1 to keep the team's legs fresh before getting back into conference play. This can't be something he would've wanted with Northeastern on 1/5 and the road trip to RIT on 1/11.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Good interview posted with Alex Grieve. Season is almost a month away!!!!

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...read-in-12-13/

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Good interview posted with Alex Grieve. Season is almost a month away!!!!

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...read-in-12-13/
                      I wish that Dan would stop writing about throwing fish on the ice at the JAR, because if a fish gets thrown on the ice again this season, it will likely be an automatic 2-minute minor against the Falcons, which could have killed them in that game last season. Only UNH, and their long ago expelled Zeta Chi fraternity, is allowed to continue the tradition of throwing a fish at Lake Whitt without penalty after the Cats score their first goal.

Comment

I wish that Dan would stop writing about throwing fish on the ice at the JAR, because if a fish gets thrown on the ice again this season, it will likely be an automatic 2-minute minor against the Falcons, which could have killed them in that game last season. Only UNH, and their long ago expelled Zeta Chi fraternity, is allowed to continue the tradition of throwing a fish at Lake Whitt without penalty after the Cats score their first goal.
                        Throw the fish, take the penalty. We need the spirit and tradition.
                        Bentley University Hockey
                        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                          Agree with both of you. The penalty coming at a key moment would be stupid, but it might be something worth doing. The league is very lenient with fan interaction during the games; they usually don't hand out penalties unless it happens frequently. There's usually a warning.

The only problem is that last year they threw it 3 or 4 times and nearly cost Bentley a huge a penalty. It's one thing to start a tradition, it's another thing to be obnoxious about it. Throw it once like they do with the octopus in Detroit or the catfish in Nashville. But don't be idiots about it.

THat said - I liked what Grieve had tos ay. It was interesting to hear his perspective that as a freshman he came in and found a bunch of guys sick of losing. They also brought in another successful recruiting class this year in terms of victories. A lot of those guys went to juniors playoffs.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                            But the fish isn't a Bentley tradition. It's UNH's. It's a University full of bright people, come up with something fresh and unique to Bentley that inspires those things.

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley2 View Post
                              But the fish isn't a Bentley tradition. It's UNH's. It's a University full of bright people, come up with something fresh and unique to Bentley that inspires those things.
                              I say throw Russo's wings or a $2 can of Gansett served at Shopper's

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley2 View Post
                                Eaxctly, fish throwing is not a Bentley tradition, and copying another team's tradition is no different than plagiarism in my book. Below is the summary in Wikipedia, which is reasonably close to my long-term recollections of all things UNH hockey. To me the funny part about the UNH fish throwing tradition is that Zeta Chi alums are allowed to attend home games these days for only as long as it takes to throw out the fish, then must leave Lake Whitt, as their fraternity received a lifetime ban from UNH (think Delta Tau Chi [sic] in Animal House).

But, the stupid thing about the Bentley fish-throwing incident late last season was that the head ref warned the students that he would assess Bentley a 2-minute minor if another fish was thrown, and the students tried to throw a second fish anyway. Fortunately, after two tries, they could not get the second fish over the glass, with it breaking apart and falling onto the walkway on the second try. Taking stupid penalties is never a good idea, and I think that more disciplined play is one of the major reasons that Bentley performed better last season.

from Wikipedia on UNH hockey

Traditions

Throwing Out the Fish (Hockey)

UNH has a long history of successful hockey programs. Dating back to Charlie Holt in the ‘70's to present day coach Dick Umile, it has had great support and is a figurehead among the university community. A prominent tradition within the program has been the throwing of the fish. After UNH scores its first goal, all fans turn their attention to the opposing teams net. Up and over the boards, a fish is thrown onto the ice. The crowd erupts in excitement.

According to Bob Norton, a former UNH assistant coach, the fish-tossing tradition began in the early 1970s. "It goes back to when we were playing a Division II team, and our program had gone way past theirs. I remember (the UNH fans) threw out this little dinky thing and they called it a Division II fish. I guess they were trying to tell them they weren't worthy of a first-rate fish."

This tradition caught on as the Zeta Chi fraternity made it a ritual to throw out the fish after UNH's first goal. The fish was used to resemble the visiting team, "fishing the puck out of the net."

One of Umile's favorite fish incidents occurred in the early 1990s. At that time, the home team received a penalty if fans threw objects on the ice. "At all these different rinks people were throwing things—tennis balls, newspapers --and it was really holding up the game," Umile recalls. "It's the Maine weekend, and the cops won't let the kid in with the fish. I'm in the office before the game, and the students come to get me. So I go down there, get the fish from the cops, and we're walking in with the fish in the bag. The kids say, 'But coach, we're going to get a penalty.' I say, 'Don't worry about it. We'll kill the penalty. Just throw the fish.'"
                                Last edited by Snively65; 09-14-2012, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X