Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Spring training is beginning today for many of the Bentley hockey players, and with the recruits we got coming in next year, I felt it was time to turn the page. Yes I probably should've waited until the finish of the season to get this kickstarted, but I'm already excited and can't wait for October!!

There is no word yet on schedule release dates or possible opponents. But that will usually be released in June or July.
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Thought that I would copy over the 2012-2013 frosh recruits from the old 2011-2012 thread (R.I.P.).

Good idea on the 2012-2013 season thread. Who needs a stinkin' "off-season thread" anyway?

So, will the Wolverines be coming to the JAR for a couple of games to begin the coming season, the way Clarkson did last season? Somehow, I doubt it.

According to http://eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=2319 , the Falcons have the following players committed:
    Max French, F, Westside Warriors, BCHL, 7 Oct 1992, Westbrook, B.C., 5'9", 170#, 48 Ga, 25 G, 14 A, 83 PIM
    Andrew Gladink, F, Nanaimo Clippers, BCHL, 7 March 1991, White Rock, B.C., 6'0", 185#, 59 Ga, 29 G, 30 A, 23 PIM
    Kyle O'Brien, D, Cushing Academy, 23 March 1993, 6'0", 179#, no data for 2011-2012, 30 Ga, 6 G, 13 A, 0 PIM for 2010-2011
    Mark Meads, F, Valley Jr. Warriors, EJHL (via Tabor Acad), 16 March 1992, Middleton, Mass., 5'6", 161#, 27 Ga, 5 G, 10 A, 54 PIM
    Tyler Krause, F, Westside Warriors, BCHL, 15 Sept 1991, Kelowna, B.C., 5'11", 170#, 24 Ga, 12 G, 17 A, 28 PIM, and 27 Ga, 23 G, 18 A, 26 PIM for Okotok Oilers, AJHL
    Matthew Bloomquist, D, Coulee Region Chill, NAHL, 6 March 1991, Blaine, MN, 6'1", 181#, 44 Ga, 6 G, 16 A, 17 PIM
    Jesse Petito, F, New Jersey Hitmen, EJHL, 2 July 1991, Ronkonkoma, NY, 5'9", 161#, 24 GA, 8 G, 12 A, 48 PIM
    Jordy Trottier (is he coming back, as played for Bentley during 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 seasons?), Boomington Blaze, CHL, 5 Nov 1988, Bozeman, MT, 5'11", 181#, 38 Ga, 4 G, 6 A,, 29 PIM

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Thought that I would copy over the 2012-2013 frosh recruits from the old 2011-2012 thread (R.I.P.).

Good idea on the 2012-2013 season thread. Who needs a stinkin' "off-season thread" anyway?

So, will the Wolverines be coming to the JAR for a couple of games to begin the coming season, the way Clarkson did last season? Somehow, I doubt it.

According to http://eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=2319 , the Falcons have the following players committed:
      Max French, F, Westside Warriors, BCHL, 7 Oct 1992, Westbrook, B.C., 5'9", 170#, 48 Ga, 25 G, 14 A, 83 PIM
      Andrew Gladink, F, Nanaimo Clippers, BCHL, 7 March 1991, White Rock, B.C., 6'0", 185#, 59 Ga, 29 G, 30 A, 23 PIM
      Kyle O'Brien, D, Cushing Academy, 23 March 1993, 6'0", 179#, no data for 2011-2012, 30 Ga, 6 G, 13 A, 0 PIM for 2010-2011
      Mark Meads, F, Valley Jr. Warriors, EJHL (via Tabor Acad), 16 March 1992, Middleton, Mass., 5'6", 161#, 27 Ga, 5 G, 10 A, 54 PIM
      Tyler Krause, F, Westside Warriors, BCHL, 15 Sept 1991, Kelowna, B.C., 5'11", 170#, 24 Ga, 12 G, 17 A, 28 PIM, and 27 Ga, 23 G, 18 A, 26 PIM for Okotok Oilers, AJHL
      Matthew Bloomquist, D, Coulee Region Chill, NAHL, 6 March 1991, Blaine, MN, 6'1", 181#, 44 Ga, 6 G, 16 A, 17 PIM
      Jesse Petito, F, New Jersey Hitmen, EJHL, 2 July 1991, Ronkonkoma, NY, 5'9", 161#, 24 GA, 8 G, 12 A, 48 PIM
      Jordy Trottier (is he coming back, as played for Bentley during 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 seasons?), Boomington Blaze, CHL, 5 Nov 1988, Bozeman, MT, 5'11", 181#, 38 Ga, 4 G, 6 A,, 29 PIM
      Bentley hockey never has an offseason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Chris Heisenberg, it looks like bentley has signed another goalie to make up for the departure of Rank from last year. They ran into a situation where Dougherty tore his knee in the Holy Cross game at the end of the year when they yanked Komm on the alst night of the regular season. He was able to dress, and medically he was cleared to play, but he would've been terribly ineffective had Komm been injured in the playoffs. It's obvious Bentley needed the third goalie down the stretch.

The goalie is Gabe Antoni from the St. Louis Jr. Blues of the NAHL Tier-A league. He'll be the third Bentley Falcon from St. Louis's organization that I can think off of the top of my head. The other two that come to mind are Brett Gensler and Dain Prewitt. That's a pretty solid track record. Looking at his stats, he's coming in with some talent - 91% save pct and 14 wins last year in the NAHL. Big potential coup for Bentley.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...RUE&pid=145426

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

You also just picked up a commitment from Derek Bacon of the Okotoks Oilers (AJHL). He had a 13-28-41 in 33 games this year (3rd on his team) and has 10 points in 9 games in the playoffs. He's 5'9", 175 pounds, from Calgary.
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
          You also just picked up a commitment from Derek Bacon of the Okotoks Oilers (AJHL). He had a 13-28-41 in 33 games this year (3rd on his team) and has 10 points in 9 games in the playoffs. He's 5'9", 175 pounds, from Calgary.
          Thanks for posting; for 2012-2013, or year following?

Good pick up on St. Louis Jr Blues goalie, too. Good to have competition for time in the net.

Comment

Thanks for posting; for 2012-2013, or year following?

Good pick up on St. Louis Jr Blues goalie, too. Good to have competition for time in the net.
            He's a '91 (will turn 21 in September), so it would be for this season.
            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
              He's a '91 (will turn 21 in September), so it would be for this season.
              With Bacon and the new recruits, I want to say the lines will go something like this:

Switzer-Grieve-Gensler
              Gladiuk-Campanelli-French
              Breton-Kubiak-Koudys
              Meads-Hartung-Krause or Rickord-Hartung-some freshman

Krause is going to be the Kayfes replacement in terms of instigation I think; the stats lend themselves. I'm not sure about Meads, but I really think Gladiuk and French are going to be solid. There's going to be some form of embarassment of riches here.

Williams-Marginsky
              Weinstein-Maher
              O'Brien-Bloomquist

As much as I think Ledford gives 150% on the ice, depending on how the new guys look, I don't see him playing every game. Maybe platooning with the other two in some capacity?

Komm
              Dougherty
              freshman whose name I can't remember

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                With Bacon and the new recruits, I want to say the lines will go something like this:

Switzer-Grieve-Gensler
                Gladiuk-Campanelli-French
                Breton-Kubiak-Koudys
                Meads-Hartung-Krause or Rickord-Hartung-some freshman

Krause is going to be the Kayfes replacement in terms of instigation I think; the stats lend themselves. I'm not sure about Meads, but I really think Gladiuk and French are going to be solid. There's going to be some form of embarassment of riches here.

Williams-Marginsky
                Weinstein-Maher
                O'Brien-Bloomquist

As much as I think Ledford gives 150% on the ice, depending on how the new guys look, I don't see him playing every game. Maybe platooning with the other two in some capacity?

Komm
                Dougherty
                freshman whose name I can't remember
                So, assuming that everyone comes back and all the committed players named above show up, I count 17 forwards (Switzer, Grieve, Gensler; Breton, Kubiak, Koudys; Rickford, Hartung, Fitzstephens; Trottier, Campanelli, French; Krause, Gladiuk, Petito, Meads, Bacon), 7 D-men (Williams, Marginsky; Weinstein, Maher; Ledford, O'Brien, Bloomquist), and 3 goalies (Komm, Dougherty, Antoni). That is a lot of players fighting for ice time.

Comment

So, assuming that everyone comes back and all the committed players named above show up, I count 17 forwards (Switzer, Grieve, Gensler; Breton, Kubiak, Koudys; Rickford, Hartung, Fitzstephens; Trottier, Campanelli, French; Krause, Gladiuk, Petito, Meads, Bacon), 7 D-men (Williams, Marginsky; Weinstein, Maher; Ledford, O'Brien, Bloomquist), and 3 goalies (Komm, Dougherty, Antoni). That is a lot of players fighting for ice time.
                  French is going to be coming for 2013-2014, so that makes 16 forwards. Still an insane amount of players fighting for ice time.

This is a credit to the coaching staff who is recruiting a LARGE number of players who are also committing. There's no way they have the scholarship packages to give these guys a huge substantial amount, so these guys are coming to play for the opportunity.

From what I understand, a couple of guys, namely Gladiuk and Meads are coming in highly touted.

http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailyn...2-3ae875004e1f

Gladiuk is coming in to be a top 6 forward and be on the top two PP units according to this article. 166 points in 174 games in junior hockey as of when it was written. He was called the best player in the league by his coach and is reigning MVP of the Nainamo Clippers. So I'm assuming he will be playing with Campanelli to give more second line punch. Bentley really needs that as the first line accounted for far too many goals and points versus the other three lines. If they can roll out two legitimate goal scoring lines, they'll have a chance to quickly become the best offensive team in the league.

Their top line was the best in the league, but their offense fell just short of some of the offense produced by the top teams. It can be argued they were eliminated by an inferior offensive team that capitalized at the right moments. I didn't feel watching the RIT series that RIT was the overall better team but they were the team that did the things right to win (so I guess that does make them th ebetter team). I know people will say to me that I'm an RIT hater, and while, to an extent that's true, I have said a number of times that RIT was better when they had to be in Games 2 and especially, obvs, in Game 3.

That said, I see Bentley competing NOW for a spot in the conference's final game, as opposed to falling just short of going tot he conference semifinals. This team is going to not sneak up on anybody though so it's imperative these players make an immediate impact.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                    Krause is going to be the Kayfes replacement in terms of instigation I think; the stats lend themselves.
                    So, who will be replacing Nudy and Stonacek (3 SHG's) on the number 1 PK unit next season?

Comment

Recruiting would be aided by having a rink on campus. Any plans for an arena in the near future???

Comment

Originally posted by brookie View Post
                        Recruiting would be aided by having a rink on campus. Any plans for an arena in the near future???
                        Sigh.......probably will not happen any time in the near- or mid-term, as the senior admin is against it, even when the hockey rink project was veiled as a campus events center, for hosting graduations, concerts, and other gatherings. Off course, I am biased and do not agree with this short-sighted view, and feel that a rink on campus would have immeasurable upside opportunities. Given this situation, I feel that it is even more amazing that the Bentley hockey program has been recruiting some really fine players. And, like most college hockey programs, with the exception of some where a few upperclassmen leave early to turn pro, our graduation rates are excellent, as they are for all of our student athletes.

Comment

Nice article on Gensler...

http://www.wickedlocal.com/waltham/n...#axzz1rHDmpzcA
                          Bentley University Hockey
                          On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                            Tickets for New England Hockey Writers' Dinner are $50; anyone going to Saugus this Wednesday night?

Oops, it is tonight, Tuesday, not Wednesday. Was incorrectly listed on the Boston Gridiron Website, although was correctly listed elsewhere.
                            Last edited by Snively65; 04-10-2012, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Tickets for New England Hockey Writers' Dinner are $50; anyone going to Saugus this Wednesday night?

Oops, it is tonight, Tuesday, not Wednesday. Was incorrectly listed on the Boston Gridiron Website, although was correctly listed elsewhere.
                              I was seriously considering it, but I ended up not going. Bentley Falcons' facebook page posted the picture. I am already anxious waiting for October!

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Working...
                              X