Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
    I am already anxious waiting for October!
    Ya, ya; that is why we have this 2012-2013 thread instead of a dumb off-season thread.

In researching the Walter Brown Award, I discovered that my alma mater UNH has seven recipients: Bob Miller, 1977; Ralph Cox, 1979; Ty Conklin, 2001; Mike Ayers, 2003; Steve Saviano, 2004; Kevin Regan, 2008; and Bobby Butler, 2010. Really cool to have a Bentley player now on that list.

Still hoping that Bentley gets a chance to play at Lake Whitt one of these years.

Comment

Many of the Bentley Falcons on twitter and facebook have been sending well wishes out to Michael Eden, the boy who became part of the team through Team Impact. Michael's condition hasn't been made too public, but I get the feeling that it hasn't improved, as the majority of them have been asking for prayers and to keep him in the thoughts. He is still fighting cancer, but as the players have asked for well wishes, i figured I'd appeal to the forum masses for the team.

Please keep the boy in your thoughts and prayers as he fights this insidious disease. He was an inspiration to so many last year, and he was out in Rochester for the series against RIT. The boys on the team drew so much from him and welcomed him with open arms, and he skated with them to shoot pucks after wins or losses at the JAR. I know that we can send out well wishes to him even though this is but a forum where we can argue or agree with one another.
      Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Many of the Bentley Falcons on twitter and facebook have been sending well wishes out to Michael Eden, the boy who became part of the team through Team Impact. Michael's condition hasn't been made too public, but I get the feeling that it hasn't improved, as the majority of them have been asking for prayers and to keep him in the thoughts. He is still fighting cancer, but as the players have asked for well wishes, i figured I'd appeal to the forum masses for the team.

Please keep the boy in your thoughts and prayers as he fights this insidious disease. He was an inspiration to so many last year, and he was out in Rochester for the series against RIT. The boys on the team drew so much from him and welcomed him with open arms, and he skated with them to shoot pucks after wins or losses at the JAR. I know that we can send out well wishes to him even though this is but a forum where we can argue or agree with one another.
        Here is a link from this past January to Michael Eden.

http://framingham.patch.com/articles...ge-hockey-team

Comment

I am hearing some increased rumblings regarding the three words we never thought we'd ever hear. I don't know any details, they're entirely unconfirmed, and it's only a vicious rumor that came to me from some students on campus. But I think, if nothing else, there are some discussions regarding this:

on
          campus
          rink

Has anyone else heard anything?

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

As a 1980 Alum of Bentley and a big college hockey fan, this 'rumor' is very exciting! Isn't hockey the only D-1 sport Bentley has? With all due respect to the basketball programs that have been extraordinarily successful, hockey has more than held its own at Bentley...and paid its dues.

Obviously a structure like this can only go on the South Campus; what would be taken away to make room for it? My guess: baseball fields. I would imagine that it makes the most sense to build a 'Merrimack-like' facility, right? It certainly doesn't need to be any bigger than that.
            Last edited by Chris_NH; 04-18-2012, 10:34 AM.
            Chris V
            Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
              Obviously a structure like this can only go on the South Campus; what would be taken away to make room for it? My guess: baseball fields. I would imagine that it makes the most sense to build a 'Merrimack-like' facility, right? It certainly doesn't need to be any bigger than that.
              A spot has already been graded for the specific purpose of a new facility/building. That was done 3 or 4 years ago in order to get it finished before the environmental/zoning permits expired. Once the permit expired, they would not have been allowed to do anymore grading/filling against the wetlands. I haven't been to campus in almost a year, but I believe there was a track and field shot-put cage or something on the spot at that time, down near the "new" entrance on the extreme south end of the athletics campus.
              Bentley University Hockey
              On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Personally, I think it would have been cool to put it in the Linden dorm where the racquetball courts were.

Comment

I'm not sure where they woudl put, where the funds would come from, or anything like that. I think the discussions are now starting at the very very very least. No idea where the process is, how many years it woudl take to get to fruition, or anything like that, but if there's a rumor then I'm guessing someone mentioned the idea.

It's obvious Bentley will need to make a commitment one way or the other. RIT is planning a new rink, and Merrimack is upgrading their facilities for an anticipated jump to D1 in all sports. Holy Cross and UConn are examining ways to become more competitive, even if it means leaving the AHA. Even Sacred Heart plays at Harbor Yards, which isn't much for their program since they draw 100 people in a multi-thousand seat arena, but still, things cannot continue the way they are.

Coach Soderquist talked about the administration in an interview before the playoffs last year and mentioned how there was major support. I'm going to say now that the team has, indeed, put in many dues, and with a following starting to pick up steam, they can point to marked success. If you were doing a market research, the JAR state of the program is picking up traction and will hit the saturation point very quickly because of its high level of drawbacks. So if nothing else, if the discussion is taking place, then that's a start.

I don't foresee the university making any type of major investment in the next couple of years, still. I think the endowment took a beating in the economic downturn?

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                    A spot has already been graded for the specific purpose of a new facility/building. That was done 3 or 4 years ago in order to get it finished before the environmental/zoning permits expired. Once the permit expired, they would not have been allowed to do anymore grading/filling against the wetlands. I haven't been to campus in almost a year, but I believe there was a track and field shot-put cage or something on the spot at that time, down near the "new" entrance on the extreme south end of the athletics campus.
                    The area where the shot put cage is would be ideal in terms of size and space, but its location is nowhere near the dorms. That could be a potential issue. Also, the tree-line where the football stadium is puts it a few meters further back from the Dana Center. So unless there's going to be some form of reconfiguration of the land, then the rink might as well be in Guam. I'm guessing they'd tear down the trees and maybe develop the land beyond the old track that's across the street. Maybe as another parking lot and visitor center of some sort.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

My understanding is that the funds are there to build the rink ("campus events center") from a donor, but the admin is unwilling to make a commitment to the maintenance, which of course would be a substantial line item in the budget. I think that Bentley was closer to building a rink on campus four to five years ago when space was approved by the Waltham zoning board (I believe between the Dana Center and Lyman Pond, and yes, there were/are wetlands issues; see Google map at link), and before the economy tanked and a new president was brought on board.

As much as I would love to see a rink on campus, I am certain that the vast majority of faculty would favor the funds be put into academic programs instead of a rink. But, perhaps a few more nasty storms during convocation and graduatation events could sway things in favor of the construction of an events center on campus, which would just happen to be in the right dimensions for a hockey rink.

I really like the new "welcome center" (hockey rink) at Plymouth State, just off I-93 on the way to campus in Plymouth, N.H.; it seats about 1200, I think, but it seems to me it would make more sense to expand the footprint to seat 2000-2500 for other events besides hockey.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...2&z=14&iwloc=A

Comment

Don't forget North Campus, but I think that has other purposes...

Comment

I think the endowment took a beating in the economic downturn?
                          The endowment did indeed take a beating, in fact moreso than most. But, I believe it has recntly recovered most of those losses.

Comment

So unless there's going to be some form of reconfiguration of the land, then the rink might as well be in Guam.
                            ....or Watertown.

Comment

It looks like Bentley will be going back to U. Lowell to open up the season next year. Also might be playing a home game against another OOC opponent, but not sure who.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

It looks like Bentley will be going back to U. Lowell to open up the season next year. Also might be playing a home game against another OOC opponent, but not sure who.
                                What could be better than another bird battle between the Falcons and the River Hawks. I really like attending games at Tsongas, and Lowell Beer Works before and/or after games.

Comment

Working...
                                X