Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bentley Hockey 2012-2013: The New Era of JAR Pride Begins

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    What could be better than another bird battle between the Falcons and the River Hawks. I really like attending games at Tsongas, and Lowell Beer Works before and/or after games.
    Especially given what Lowell accomplished last year, it'll be a great game. Bentley is vastly underrated, and Lowell will be a great test since they have a lot to prove this year. UML had such a great year with Norm Bazin being coach of the year and coming within one win of the Frozen Four against Union, but in Year 2, as merrimack can tell you, it becomes that much harder since you don't sneak up on anyone. Bentley proves a good test since they're clearly a better team than a lot of people give them credit for.
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
      Especially given what Lowell accomplished last year, it'll be a great game. Bentley is vastly underrated, and Lowell will be a great test since they have a lot to prove this year. UML had such a great year with Norm Bazin being coach of the year and coming within one win of the Frozen Four against Union, but in Year 2, as merrimack can tell you, it becomes that much harder since you don't sneak up on anyone. Bentley proves a good test since they're clearly a better team than a lot of people give them credit for.
      Unless I missed something, seems like the last game we played at Tsongas was on 8 December 2007, when we lost 4-1 (included ENG). Only Soderquist and Carkin remain from that game/season.

Comment

Snives - It was Jan. 2011 (so 2 seasons ago) when they last played. 8-5 at Tsongas in the middle of the year. Gensler had 2 goals as a freshman......big shocker there.

http://collegehockeystats.net/1011/boxes/mbenuml1.j25

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Snives - It was Jan. 2011 (so 2 seasons ago) when they last played. 8-5 at Tsongas in the middle of the year. Gensler had 2 goals as a freshman......big shocker there.

http://collegehockeystats.net/1011/boxes/mbenuml1.j25
          Thanks, as I thought that I had been to a Bentley game at Tsongas more recently than 2007. But, I also go to UNH games at Tsongas, so I am up there a lot. They added the new luxury seating and bar area at one end before my last visit, probably the Bentley game in January 2011. So, our upcoming seniors and juniors will have a lot of motivation to even that score, which was a tough outing for Joe Calvi. We were in that game with a 5-5 tie until late in the second, but gave up four PPGs, so cannot blame Calvi for those. As always, must stay out of the penalty box, especially in these OOC games.

Wonder who another OOC opponent at the JAR might be. I was hoping for Michigan, after Clarkson's visit this past season, but I know that the Wolverines coming to Watertown is unlikely.

Comment

Thanks, as I thought that I had been to a Bentley game at Tsongas more recently than 2007. But, I also go to UNH games at Tsongas, so I am up there a lot. They added the new luxury seating and bar area at one end before my last visit, probably the Bentley game in January 2011. So, our upcoming seniors and juniors will have a lot of motivation to even that score, which was a tough outing for Joe Calvi. We were in that game with a 5-5 tie until late in the second, but gave up four PPGs, so cannot blame Calvi for those. As always, must stay out of the penalty box, especially in these OOC games.

Wonder who another OOC opponent at the JAR might be. I was hoping for Michigan, after Clarkson's visit this past season, but I know that the Wolverines coming to Watertown is unlikely.
            I'm guessing it will be another ECAC team or possibly a team like PC that won't lose much by losing a home game. My guess is it'll be a semester break game against a team that historically doesn't draw well during that same time period. PC barely drew 1000 people for their intersession games against teams like UMass, so I'm guessing they could afford to lose that home noncon game. They also only drew 1800 to a New Year's Day game against Brown in the Mayor's Cup. So if I had to guess, I'd say either them or an ECAC team.

PC also historically hasn't had trouble scheduling because of that game with Brown, so I'm also quick to doubt my own analysis.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

I'm guessing it will be another ECAC team or possibly a team like PC that won't lose much by losing a home game. My guess is it'll be a semester break game against a team that historically doesn't draw well during that same time period. PC barely drew 1000 people for their intersession games against teams like UMass, so I'm guessing they could afford to lose that home noncon game. They also only drew 1800 to a New Year's Day game against Brown in the Mayor's Cup. So if I had to guess, I'd say either them or an ECAC team.

PC also historically hasn't had trouble scheduling because of that game with Brown, so I'm also quick to doubt my own analysis.

Ha, ha, ha; good points on minimizing revenue loss. Yes, I remember the game at Brown's Meehan Rink the Tuesday before Thanksgiving 2009; there were about a dozen of us Bentley fans and perhaps two dozen Brown fans for our 3-2 win in that one.

Comment

Bentley hockey never has an offseason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Chris Heisenberg, it looks like bentley has signed another goalie to make up for the departure of Rank from last year. They ran into a situation where Dougherty tore his knee in the Holy Cross game at the end of the year when they yanked Komm on the alst night of the regular season. He was able to dress, and medically he was cleared to play, but he would've been terribly ineffective had Komm been injured in the playoffs. It's obvious Bentley needed the third goalie down the stretch.

The goalie is Gabe Antoni from the St. Louis Jr. Blues of the NAHL Tier-A league. He'll be the third Bentley Falcon from St. Louis's organization that I can think off of the top of my head. The other two that come to mind are Brett Gensler and Dain Prewitt. That's a pretty solid track record. Looking at his stats, he's coming in with some talent - 91% save pct and 14 wins last year in the NAHL. Big potential coup for Bentley.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...RUE&pid=145426
                What about mike reardon, he is listed as 2012 on Heisenberg?

Comment

Originally posted by brookie View Post
                  What about mike reardon, he is listed as 2012 on Heisenberg?
                  Reardon also now appears at the link I used at the top of this thread. It seems like a huge incoming class; wonder how they will all play?

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=75040

Comment

You're still in the AHA, don't get ahead of yourselves comparing to the 978s.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                      You're still in the AHA, don't get ahead of yourselves comparing to the 978s.
                      Everyone forgets that Bentley hung with michigan for essentially 52 minutes in both games before giving up third period goals to put the games well out of reach. They also forget that Bentley scored wins over Hockey East teams in each season over a couple years stretch, including wins over Maine and Northeastern. These OOCs have a funny way of playing out, and the best AHA teams are able to compete with the middle-road Hockey east programs.

I don't feel UML is a top-tier Hockey East program yet, even though they were one win from the Frozen Four. They benefitted from an extremely weak regional. But they're still behind, in my eyes at least, BC (for obvious reasons), BU, Maine, and Merrimack. There's also a chance PC is vastly improved, which makes it that much harder for Norm Bazin to create a follow up performance.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

I don't feel UML is a top-tier Hockey East program yet, even though they were one win from the Frozen Four. They benefitted from an extremely weak regional.
                        Yeah, they beat #7 Miami and lost to #3 Union. Definitely a weak regional.
                        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                          Yeah, they beat #7 Miami and lost to #3 Union. Definitely a weak regional.
                          And those teams benefitted from statistical analysis. Union is the same team that got swept by Brown. Miami is the same team that finished fourth in the CCHA, and, like I said, the cream of the AHA could hang with the middle of the road teams in those conferences. I'm not saying SHU goes out and beats Miami and Union. I'm saying that RIT, Air Force, Bentley could beat these teams given the following criteria:

1) Assuming Bentley's recruiting class follows the latest trend, they'll have 2-3 goal scorers and a good couple of defensemen.
                          2) While the argument could be made that Union didn't sneak up on anyone, they also lost non conference games against UNH, who was a bad hockey team last year, and tied Niagara, a team considered part of the "cream" of the AHA. They were also, as I mentioned swept by Brown.
                          3) UMass-Lowell benefitted greatly from being a top team in the Hockey East, which instantaneously credits their RPI and PWR ratings. If Air Force and RIT were dealt bad hands by having a weak PWR, it's because of the AHA. UML benefitted from the fact that they played as many conference games against highly-rated teams as they do. It's the same as the "Big East Syndrome" in basketball.
                          4) Last year's UML team lost to UConn, and played weak non con games, including Minnesota State and RPI. I fail to think that had they gone simply .500 in Hockey East that their OOC games would've been good enough to get them in.
                          5) They were eliminated in the HEA playoffs by PC. And I really think the best teams in the AHA could beat PC, therefore.... UML is very beatable.

Everyone needs to chill out a bit and get off their high horse about Hockey East and UMass Lowell. You guys went to the tournament, beat a quality Miami team, and lost to a Union team that went to the Frozen Four. But there's no denying the general perception that your regional lacked what the other regionals brought to the table. Had you played out west with Minnesota and BU been out east, it would've been substantially tougher.

Like I said before - am I saying that Bentley is going to walk into that absolutely wonderful city of Lowell and beat the Hawks? NO. Far from it. But Bentley has proven, over the last few years, that they can walk into OOC games and compete, if not steal games. So get off your high horse. Seriously.

Anyone willing to continue to debate this point can PM me so you can stop trolling our board. We prefer to keep most of our talk positive and supportive since we're still very much a "little engine that could" style program.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Anyone willing to continue to debate this point can PM me so you can stop trolling our board. We prefer to keep most of our talk positive and supportive since we're still very much a "little engine that could" style program.
                            I actually think that it is really cool that non-Bentley folks are commenting on this thread. To me, these comments mean that Bentley has arrived, where I am not sure.

Comment

I actually think that it is really cool that non-Bentley folks are commenting on this thread. To me, these comments mean that Bentley has arrived, where I am not sure.
                              Well in that case... When do they give out the award for Hanging with Michigan for 52 Minutes?

In all seriousness, speaking as an MC fan, I wish Bentley was in the convo to join HEA, rather than UConn. Other than the enrollment and the women's program at UConn, I would actually say Bentley is in a better position for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                                Well in that case... When do they give out the award for Hanging with Michigan for 52 Minutes?

In all seriousness, speaking as an MC fan, I wish Bentley was in the convo to join HEA, rather than UConn. Other than the enrollment and the women's program at UConn, I would actually say Bentley is in a better position for this.
                                With any luck, HEA will hold out on adding the 12th team for the next few years. I don't think they can justify adding UConn since UConn isn't a good program. But Bentley would require a substantial increase in spending to the hockey team, and they're not D1, which poses a problem. Plus there's no women's program (although that is easily rectified by having UConn offset Bentley's lack of women's program). Even if Bentley builds a rink, I don't see them sinking that much money into scholarships because of the D2 restrictions ont he other sports.

I heard out of UMass-Lowell that Bentley is going there on 10/13 with the first home games on 10/26 and 10/27 against Alabama-Huntsville. That's very exciting taht UAH puts them on the schedule, even though they're obviously in a precarious position in their own right. It's still a team Bentley hasn't played at the D1 level at all.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Working...
                                X