Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    The TEA Party had a chance... ...until the Republicans decided to claim it.
    The Tea Party did have a chance, though it was in their brief "middle" period. It seems like it was created as astroturfing but quickly got way out of hand with actual people protesting against both parties. Then the GOP establishment and its enablers brought the hammer down.

Hey, it could have been worse. When liberal grassroots groups become popular their leaders have a habit of turning up dead.
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-06-2012, 01:16 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      The Tea Party did have a chance, though it was in their brief "middle" period. It seems like it was created as astroturfing but quickly got way out of hand with actual people protesting against both parties. Then the GOP establishment and its enablers brought the hammer down.

Hey, it could have been worse. When liberal grassroots groups become popular their leaders have a habit of turning up dead.
      When did the OWS dude die?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        fyp
        Nah. The Snow Grifter will have many sins to atone for in Real Amurka Jesus Heaven, but killing the TP isn't one of them. That dumb petty crook would have ridden that horse a lot farther than it could have gotten on its own. And the great thing about such an empty vessel is the TP could have filled it up with anything it wanted. Even its actual ideals.

That would have been... interesting. Probably in the Chinese sense of "interesting," but still.
        Last edited by Kepler; 04-06-2012, 01:22 PM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          When did the OWS dude die?
          What leader?

It says something about OWS that it took me more than ten seconds staring at the acronym to remember what it meant.
          Cornell University

Comment

What leader?

It says something about OWS that it took me more than ten seconds staring at the acronym to remember what it meant.
            It certainly is dying, but unfortunately I still have to hear about it from one of my Facebook buddies.

Comment

I guess your theory is if you repeat something enough times maybe you'll convince somebody.

Obama seems about as disdainful as every other president during my lifetime.* The fact that the right gets their panties in a twist every time he speaks says everything about them, not about him.

(* except Carter, who always seemed to be bending over backwards to accommodate and understand. Which was wonderful for a Sunday school teacher but terrible for a president. And Ford, who always looked pretty embarrassed to be there.)
              Not trying to convince anyone. Just calling a spade a spade. There's a bitter disdain for his opponents that eaks out sometimes that I don't recall seeing in any other recent president of either party. There's times where he's just so sure of himself and when someone disagrees, he doesn't take it well, though he usually keeps a lid on it, not always.
              Originally posted by Priceless
              Good to see you're so reasonable.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Very well, said.
              Originally posted by Rover
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Oh, please. He's bent over for McConnell and Bone Man and it got him nowhere.
                I can always count on you to jump to Obama's defense. Can pretty much set the clock by it.
                Very well, said.
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                  I can always count on you to jump to Obama's defense. Can pretty much set the clock by it.
                  And I can always count on you to post a complete and utter falsehood about Obama two minutes before I jump to his defense.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

And I can always count on you to post a complete and utter falsehood about Obama two minutes before I jump to his defense.
                    I will try to be more sensitive to not offend your loyalties to your Kenyan king (while still calling a spade a spade).
                    Very well, said.
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I will try to be more sensitive to not offend your loyalties to your Kenyan king (while still calling a spade a spade).
                      And another falsehood. I readily concede there's plenty out there but your utter obsession to Sean Hannity tactics while claiming you never watch FIX news is amazing and speaks to what American Conservatism has become.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

He's a British subject. Just like the president that went to #26 Union.

Comment

And another falsehood. I readily concede there's plenty out there but your utter obsession to Sean Hannity tactics while claiming you never watch FIX news is amazing and speaks to what American Conservatism has become.
                          Your starting to sound a little Foxtonesque. Calm down. I don't even have cable/satellite TV, so I can't watch Hannity, even if I wanted to, which I don't.
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Your starting to sound a little Foxtonesque. Calm down. I don't even have cable/satellite TV, so I can't watch Hannity, even if I wanted to, which I don't.
                            You pretty clearly spend the rest of your internet time over on Free Republic picking up whatever nonsense of the week you want to BS about like it's a fact somewhere outside your head. You sound like a Birther. Congrats.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I thought it was a great campaign speech and the equivalent of a rally to the troops during a primary.

Yes I agree that also seems to me to be what's going on as well.

I am more than a little surprised at how many responses to date are quite comfortable with him putting the business of the country aside for 28 weeks. Everyone has been saying "of course he's campaigning, what's the big deal?"

Um, he's President? there are some duties that come with that job that need tending from time to time, no?

instead we are going to be subject to all politics, all the time?

Doesn't the thought occur to anyone else, that if he can so easily toss aide half a year's worth of the country's business to focus on campaigning, what do we really "need" him for if he is not going to be attending to Presidential duties anyway? I can't quite articulate it so that it comes out right....I don't mean it as an attack coming from me, I mean that it seems really short-sighted as a campaign strategy to admit that you are not going to govern the county because you will be spending all your time persuading people why you should be the person who does govern the country. in other words, if you are trying to present yourself as the right person to govern the country, why aren't you governing now?

again, the "obstructionist Congress" is a red herring, straw man, sign of impotence, whatever....Tip O'Neill was a far savvier and far more adept partisan warrior than John Boehner, yet Reagan and O'Neill were able to come to an accomodation to see that the governance of the country was still attended to. That elephant don't fly.
                              Last edited by FreshFish; 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                Yes I agree that also seems to me to be what's going on as well.

I am more than a little surprised at how many responses to date are quite comfortable with him putting the business of the country aside for 28 weeks. Everyone has been saying "of course he's campaigning, what's the big deal?"
                                So one speech = 28 straight weeks of campaigning at the expense of the Oval Office? Given how epically bad you insist he's been you'd think you'd want him out of Washington anyway. Another nice little talking point for the FOXies.

Comment

Working...
                                X