Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Watching the cons try to rally around Mitt is cute. Desperate, but cute.
    Even funnier is watching Mittens try to shift on some of his positions, only to have his newfound conservative friends tell him "oh no you don't". Case in point, immigration. The guy's running around embracing Arizona's law, building a fence, self deportation and other such nonsense during the primaries. Now he can't even embrace Rubio's modified DREAM Act. Romney's campaign seems to want to take a page from Nixon's run to the middle mantra. Problem is Nixon ran his last campaign 40 years ago. There was no internet, Twitter, 24/7 news cycle, or anything else recording your every word at campaign events. Too tough to pull that off now, as I suspect The Mittster is going to find out the hard way.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Even funnier is watching Mittens try to shift on some of his positions, only to have his newfound conservative friends tell him "oh no you don't". Case in point, immigration. The guy's running around embracing Arizona's law, building a fence, self deportation and other such nonsense during the primaries. Now he can't even embrace Rubio's modified DREAM Act. Romney's campaign seems to want to take a page from Nixon's run to the middle mantra. Problem is Nixon ran his last campaign 40 years ago. There was no internet, Twitter, 24/7 news cycle, or anything else recording your every word at campaign events. Too tough to pull that off now, as I suspect The Mittster is going to find out the hard way.
      It also used to be the case that you could ride into one town on your whistle stop tour, promise the residents something, then ride into the next town and promise the exact opposite. Media coverage was far more local and there really wasn't an overarching entity to frame the discrepancy.

But we shouldn't underestimate the skill of campaigns to paper over rather blatant contradictions, and more importantly the ability of supporters to willfully ignore them. Romney may have no more trouble appearing consistent than McCain or Obama, who each embraced whopping contradictions. Obama has continued at least one of the serious crimes he ran against during the election (indefinite detention without charge). Not too many people are going to change their vote based on that knowledge -- all sorts of "reasons" are available to justify it.

The only wildcard I can imagine mattering is if Romney actually does have problems with the real radical religious types about him "not being a Christian." We'll see if that actually has any effect. The Echo Chamber will be working those people all summer, but their defining feature has always allegedly been they were believers, not pragmatists, and that they can't be won over by "what choice do you have?"
      Last edited by Kepler; 04-23-2012, 09:24 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yah, with the media breathing down Romney's neck as they try to ensure Obama is re-elected, Romney's shifts, which are not unsubstantial, will be highlighted in bright neon. He doesn't get the pass on things Obama does. Not fair, but such is life.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
          Yah, with the media breathing down Romney's neck as they try to ensure Obama is re-elected, Romney's shifts, which are not unsubstantial, will be highlighted in bright neon. He doesn't get the pass on things Obama does. Not fair, but such is life.
          Life must suck in whichever world you live.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Life must suck in whichever world you live.
            Actually it's pretty good here on Planet Earth. I recommend you try it sometime.
            Very well, said.
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Actually it's pretty good here on Planet Earth.
              Never guess it based on how much you complain

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Never guess it based on how much you complain
                Just following your example, in a small way.
                Very well, said.
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

"Apparently, I'm supposed to be more outraged by what Mitt Romney does with his money than by what Barack Obama does with mine."
                  Some radio announcer in Texas
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Some radio announcer in Texas
                    Outstanding!
                    Very well, said.
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I sure hope the story described in this link does not come to pass.....there is already enough cynicism and blatant manipulation as it stands now. not to mention total disregard for the law.

[certain] aspects of the ObamaCare law don’t kick in until after the 2012 election, when the president will no longer be answerable to voters....
                      and to try to paraphrase the rest of it without the snide commentary, and so the HHS purportedly is going to take money set aside for "experimental purposes" and use it to subsidize Medicare Advantage for a year, because the law cuts MA plans way back and seniors would be getting their renewal notices in October, just a few weeks before the election. If they saw what the law would do to these popular MA plans there certainly would be a hue and cry at the worst possible time, and so to forestall this potential politically embarrassment, HHS would illegally re-direct $8.3 billion of Medicare funds.

Like I said, every time I want to try to give Obama benefit of the doubt and keep an open mind, another one of these stories pops up.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        I sure hope the story described in this link does not come to pass.....there is already enough cynicism and blatant manipulation as it stands now. not to mention total disregard for the law.

and to try to paraphrase the rest of it without the snide commentary, and so the HHS purportedly is going to take money set aside for "experimental purposes" and use it to subsidize Medicare Advantage for a year, because the law cuts MA plans way back and seniors would be getting their renewal notices in October, just a few weeks before the election. If they saw what the law would do to these popular MA plans there certainly would be a hue and cry at the worst possible time, and so to forestall this potential politically embarrassment, HHS would illegally re-direct $8.3 billion of Medicare funds.

Like I said, every time I want to try to give Obama benefit of the doubt and keep an open mind, another one of these stories pops up.
                        Every time I read Obama I think- what about all the folks on the Hill? He cannot enact this stuff on his own. More than one person signed on to this. Why isn't there a hue and cry about all of them. It is easy to blame one person but that doesn't get to the root of the problem. Whether he comes or goes we have the rest of those people to deal with - the ones who know only one channel- block what the current admin says. What ever/who ever happens I hope someone actually tries to do something other than block legislation after the election. I haven't seen anything that is the slightest bit intelligent or workable from anyone in a while. They are all radical in either direction.

Comment

Oh? That's the reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                            Oh? That's the reason?
                            Of course. You know that he's an ardent Liberal, right? Naturally he wants to give Obama the benefit of the doubt. That's why he posts op-eds from right-wing sites that tell us the president was born in Kenya...

Comment

Any bets on how many more incidents like this it will take for His Racistness to speak up and condemn racial violence of all kinds? He could deliver a Rose Garden speech, with Holder sitting in his lap looking like Mortimer Snerd.

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/apr/2...on-ar-3659891/
                              Last edited by Old Pio; 04-23-2012, 09:24 PM.
                              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I'd be shocked if Obama didn't do this. Fits his normal way of trying to buy votes with spending.
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X