Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    Bonehead, eh? "Maldives?" "Malvinas?" Who cares? The important point is he's apparantly selling out Great Britain to curry favor with. . .Argentina? Nice.
    Don't cry for me, Argentina.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Don't cry for me, Argentina.
      The truth is I never left you.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        Um, there are plenty of people who are not for contraception in various ways. Depending on where they play this it could be good for them. There are plenty of very conservative people of both sexes (most of whom are past the age of worry) who don't think B.C is OK. Not what I believe but I think it is simplistic to dismiss an entire group of people. Even if people personally believe in BC they have very successfully managed to label PP as the provider of abortions, shh and that is enough to make them evil.
        The problem les is that the people who are anti-contraception (and lets label them "old people" for simplicity's sake) are already overwhelming 1) likely to vote, and 2) likely to vote for someone their own age (The Mittster). 4 years ago Obama lost the "old people" vote, but won in a relative landslide. Fast forward to today, and there's less McCain voters still with us while there's more young people entering the voting pool. What Romney needs is those people to stay home. Why then would you push provocative policies destined to get them to turn out? It doesn't make sense but I applaud the effort by our rightly friends. Nothing like going after something 98% of the population used at some point or another...
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Hmm...interesting nuance in one of the latest polls regarding Romney's so-called "women's problem":

The latest Wall Street Journal/NBC survey seems to be just the latest bit of evidence of Mr. Romney’s “woman problem” – it shows a 12-point deficit with the female voters in a head-to-head matchup with President Barack Obama.

But look closer and a different divide emerges, a more complicated one around marriage.

In that same poll Mr. Romney wins with married voters, even married women – he carries them by 3 percentage points 49% to 46%. He does better with married men, winning them by 13 percentage points, 52% to 39%.

But when the lens shifts to unmarried voters, the score changes dramatically. Mr. Romney trails Mr. Obama by an astounding 36 percentage points among women who aren’t married – 28% to 64% respectively. And it doesn’t get much better for the Romney team if you shift to look at men. He trails the president among men who aren’t married by some 23 percentage points – 33% for Mr. Romney versus 56% for Mr. Obama.
          The rest of the article goes on to parse the groups more finely and to speculate on some potential "causative factors."

If I am merely speculating on the election for fun using the Iowa Electronic Futures Market (I'm up slightly from my initial foray since I first mentioned it), this is more evidence at least for a hold if not for a buy. When gaps are as big as they are in Obama's favor right now, it's hard to imagine them widening much, especially as people start paying closer attention to the issues. Obama will go more negative than Romney while Romney will keep doing his "aw shucks gee whiz" routine and the gap will narrow.

There's no way I'm holding the position into the election, I know I'll close it out sooner than that, but for now it is a way to take away some of the dreariness.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Looks like Obama's campaign team needs to do a better job of getting the troops in line...Romneys team alaready is responding a lot more quickly and a lot more effectively than McCain's ever did.

So today the Dem Gov of Montana tries to make a snarky point about Romney's great-grandfather going to a polygamist commune in Mexico (Romney's paternal grandparents lived there but they were monogamous to each other)....and guess who else has a polygamist ancestor? Yes, Obama's father.

Obama's father, who apparently converted to Catholicism while attending a Roman Catholic school, was also polygamous in keeping with local custom, taking an informal Kenyan wife who preceded Obama's mother but remained a consort, according to accounts by local people and the senator himself
            (this is from a New York Times article from 2008, the Senator being Obama himself as it was written before the election).
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              Hmm...interesting nuance in one of the latest polls regarding Romney's so-called "women's problem":

The rest of the article goes on to parse the groups more finely and to speculate on some potential "causative factors."

If I am merely speculating on the election for fun using the Iowa Electronic Futures Market (I'm up slightly from my initial foray since I first mentioned it), this is more evidence at least for a hold if not for a buy. When gaps are as big as they are in Obama's favor right now, it's hard to imagine them widening much, especially as people start paying closer attention to the issues. Obama will go more negative than Romney while Romney will keep doing his "aw shucks gee whiz" routine and the gap will narrow.There's no way I'm holding the position into the election, I know I'll close it out sooner than that, but for now it is a way to take away some of the dreariness.
              Romney tried the aw shucks thing when he was way ahead. In any state where he wasn't he had very nasty campaigns with lots of negs. He spent oodles of dollars on extremely negative campaign tactics- enough that the coverage around here was about how wildly negative the campaign had gotten and the comparison of how many $ were spent by the opponents v Romney. I don't see him maintaining the aw shucks thing. He wasn't good at it in the primary and I don't see him being able to coast in the gen election.

Comment

Interesting. Troubling.

Comment

I know Obama may have ate a dog, but isn't it cruel to beat a dead horse?

(And yes I am aware that I am the Official Dead Horse Beater round these parts. )
                  Twitter: DanMountSports
                  2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    Looks like Obama's campaign team needs to do a better job of getting the troops in line...Romneys team alaready is responding a lot more quickly and a lot more effectively than McCain's ever did.

So today the Dem Gov of Montana tries to make a snarky point about Romney's great-grandfather going to a polygamist commune in Mexico (Romney's paternal grandparents lived there but they were monogamous to each other)....and guess who else has a polygamist ancestor? Yes, Obama's father.

(this is from a New York Times article from 2008, the Senator being Obama himself as it was written before the election).
                    IMO who cares about fathers, second cousins or sisters bestfriends fiancees. If you've got a problem with polygamy...mormonism is not your religion.

But if it matters, Romney's grandparents may not have been but his greatgrandparents certainly seem to have been: Romney's grandparents were polygamous Mormons who fled the United States with their children owing to the federal government's prosecution of polygamy. I have yet to see an instance where wiki was proven wrong.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      IMO who cares about fathers, second cousins or sisters bestfriends fiancees. If you've got a problem with polygamy...mormonism is not your religion.

But if it matters, Romney's grandparents may not have been but his greatgrandparents certainly seem to have been: Romney's grandparents were polygamous Mormons who fled the United States with their children owing to the federal government's prosecution of polygamy. I have yet to see an instance where wiki was proven wrong.
                      And the winner of this week's Nixon Kick In the Nards trophy is (drumroll) 5mn Major. Nixon used to say things like "there are many prominent, God fearing, patriotic Americans who say 5mn Major is a commie lover, but I would never say such a thing."

First dismiss concerns about the marital status of "fathers, second cousins or sisters. . ." then go for the low blow with rumors about romney's GREATgrandparents (for the love of God)! Very nice. We'll be dealing with this sh*t from now 'til November, chiefly from people who assert any opposition to His Dogburgerness is racist. And how important it is to show respect to people of different faiths, primarily Muslims. But LDS, not so much.
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 04-24-2012, 02:15 AM.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Good lord. They're both politicians, which means they've done plenty of vile disgusting acts without pinning the sins of their (dead) ancestors on them.
                        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          Good lord. They're both politicians, which means they've done plenty of vile disgusting acts without pinning the sins of their (dead) ancestors on them.
                          This

Comment

This will help Scott Walker in his recall election.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker quietly reinstated a program to give merit raises and bonuses to some state workers even as he preached cost-cutting and pushed through a law reducing most public workers' pay and eliminating their union rights.

An analysis of data The Associated Press obtained through an open records request showed Wisconsin agencies have handed out more than $765,000 in bonuses and merit raises this year to nearly 220 employees.

The money was awarded under a program former Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle suspended but Walker reinstated last year. The money is meant to reward stellar performance, but it comes as the state faces a $143 million shortfall and after thousands of state workers took pay cuts through provisions in the collective bargaining law requiring them to contribute more to their pensions and health care.
                            The state Department of Justice, which couldn't find enough money to fully fund services for sexual assault victims last year, was the biggest spender, giving out nearly $300,000 to 94 workers.

Assistant Attorney General Maria Lazar, who defended Walker's collective bargaining law in an open meetings challenge and has handled the state's defense of Republican redistricting legislation, got a $1,000 bonus and a $1.50-an-hour raise in March, bumping her salary by more than $3,000 to $104,730.

Deputy Attorney General Kevin St. John, who defended the collective bargaining law in front of the state Supreme Court, got a $2.51-an-hour raise in March that adds up to more than $5,000 per year and brings his pay to $134,307.
                            The Justice Department handed out raises even after it warned budget cuts had forced it to reduce grants from its Sexual Assault Victim Services program by 42.5 percent. Walker later rescinded those cuts amid an outcry from service providers.
                            Glad I don't go to the University of Wisconsin.

The University of Wisconsin System, meanwhile, also gave out nearly $300,000 in raises and bonuses. Five employees, including a power plant superintendent at UW-Milwaukee and a UW Extension human resources manager, each received $5,520 bonuses, the largest ones anyone in state government received.

The bonuses and raises come as the system absorbs a $250 million cut in the 2011-13 state budget as well as another $46 million in additional cuts this year. Tuition has gone up by at least 5.5 percent across system campuses.
                            I'm sure the usual suspects who decry government largess will be all over this. Right?

Walker, who faces a June 5 recall election prompted by anger over the collective bargaining law, prides himself on fiscal restraint.
                            Guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              This will help Scott Walker in his recall election.

Glad I don't go to the University of Wisconsin.

I'm sure the usual suspects who decry government largess will be all over this. Right?

Guess not.
                              Channeling union goons again I see. It won't work. Walker stays right where he is.
                              Last edited by Old Pio; 04-23-2012, 02:13 AM.
                              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Watching the cons try to rally around Mitt is cute. Desperate, but cute.

Comment

Working...
                                X