Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    We hated John Kerry so we nominated Mitt Romney his twin.

Vote for Romney, 2012.
    There is a world of difference between John Kerry and Mitt Romney.
    1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
      mitt made his money. kerry didn't
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Give Mittens time. He changes so often I'm sure he'll eventually take on a few of Kerry's characteristics.

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        Kerry made his money the second old-fashioned way. He married into it.

Comment

I'm waiting for Barry to tell us how Mitt is a wild-eyed fire-breathing radical who makes soup out of babies and knocks over old men in their walkers, that will be fun to see how he tries to pull that off. I still can't believe that they actually made a commercial with a Ryan look-alike literally tossing a granny off a cliff (yes, as in he wheels her to the edge and dumps her over). Someone who approvingly posted that video on-line actually said "I like how he keeps the wheelchair so that he can go back and get another one."

I think I am just going to ignore the political news until Thanksgiving, it probably will be more fun to go swimming in outhouses than to watch this campaign.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Suddenly being self made is important. Odd how its not important when romney is compared with obama.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Suddenly being self made is important. Odd how its not important when romney is compared with obama.
              "nice town you have here, mr. mayor....sure would be a shame if a bunch of people starting rioting, wouldn't it? oh, thanks so very much for your donation to our community center."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Kerry made his money the second old-fashioned way. He married into it.
                i'm probably in a majority of one who likes teresa. i liked her when john III was alive and married to her. impressive woman.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  if that's what you think, so be it. i was only stating the obvious. either way works for me. money is money. no reason a guy shouldn't be paid to bang a broad

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    wow, it sounds like between the madness at the hospital and your husband's pay cut you have really been suffering. My heart goes out to you.

There was a nuance to those studies, in that they compared the pay for public sector employees and private sector employees for comparable work. I'm not sure how many private sector employees there are in education, so that his situation may not be addressed at all in those studies.

I looked at the Dept of Labor database in excrutiating detail once and they actually have three "sectors": government employees at all levels (25% to 30%), "private sector" (50% to 55%), and then a third sector, "non-profits" which include private schools, hospitals, and foundations (there are a surprising number of foundations in this country, I guess every rich guy who didn't want his kids to grow up spoiled must have set one up!) of 15% to 20%. It is pretty scary to me that over one in four people in the workforce is employed by government at one level or another.
                    Universities are probably not in those stats. No one in Mr's profession makes that much money unless they work in the pros (can you spell divorce?) He explored that once. A huge pay raise and travel about 265 days a yr. Um no. Private universities definitely pay more. But overall it is not something you do if you are trying to be wealthy. You do it for love of the job. Thankfully he loves his job. I always tease him. His bro makes mucho buckos. So does his wife. We are the poor step-children

Comment

i'm probably in a majority of one who likes teresa. i liked her when john III was alive and married to her. impressive woman.
                      Tereza actually did something wtih her life. Ann Romney didn't.
                      1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

go get em big man!! tell that woman how to measure her life! wow!!

Comment

My Mom was a housewife. Be careful when you go down that road...
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            Universities are probably not in those stats.
                            This DOL database looked like it covered every employed person.

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            No one in Mr's profession makes that much money unless they work in the pros
                            The statistics weren't about how much a person made, it was about differential. You have a clerk in a small manufacturer who makes $35,000 for a 40-hour week with a high deductible health plan and a 401(k) where your first $2,000 contribution is matched at 25% vs a clerk in your local assessor's office who makes $32,500 for a 35-hour week with "first dollar" health coverage, a pension plan that allows for retirement at age 55, a lifetime retirement benefit, and retiree health care.

It is amazing how much a defined benefit pension is worth. $60,000 for life is worth well north of $1 million, AND you are totally insulated from investment risk on top of that.

Comment

Did your mom "do anything" with her life?

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                I think I am just going to ignore the political news until Thanksgiving
                                Promise?

Comment

Working...
                                X