Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    That's not where the title of this thread came from.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=g36lYOdlZ-k
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-05-2012, 09:28 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I prefer the book. Oddly prophetic.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        I prefer the book. Oddly prophetic.
        EVERYONE prefers the book. The movie was terrible.

Frank Herbert should go to paradise for writing the first one and to perdition for writing all the others. Not sure any writer went down hill faster other than Orson Scott Card.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
          When I lived in AZ, I was always impressed with the gerrymandering there. I would love to see the gerrymandering in Alaska if, you know, there was any gerry to mander there.
          Arizona has had a non-partisan board that sets district boundaries and has had this in place for a number of years. This was set up by ballot initiative.
          Originally posted by Priceless
          Good to see you're so reasonable.
          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
          Very well, said.
          Originally posted by Rover
          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
            Arizona has had a non-partisan board that sets district boundaries and has had this in place for a number of years. This was set up by ballot initiative.
            That's a good idea.
            Cornell University

Comment

That's a good idea.
              This go around the Dems actually really liked the new boundaries, while the Reps were quite unhappy. Of course in our setup, where the Dems appoint two to the panel, the Reps appoint two to the panel, and the fifth is chosen by those four, that fifth person weilds enormous power.
              Very well, said.
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

This go around the Dems actually really liked the new boundaries, while the Reps were quite unhappy. Of course in our setup, where the Dems appoint two to the panel, the Reps appoint two to the panel, and the fifth is chosen by those four, that fifth person weilds enormous power.
                I think you left something out Bob. Care to elaborate on what the GOP tried to do when they didn't get their way?
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  I think you left something out Bob. Care to elaborate on what the GOP tried to do when they didn't get their way?
                  Sorry I didn't provide you a complete legislative history of Arizona. I can't do everything for you.
                  Very well, said.
                  A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Frank Herbert should go to paradise for writing the first one and to perdition for writing all the others. Not sure any writer went down hill faster other than Orson Scott Card.
                    I liked "Children of Dune". The rest - eh.

The SciFi miniseries was way better than the Dino disaster. Only Otto Preminger ruined more books than he.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I made no comment on who did the gerrymandering, I was just commenting on how well it was done. There was a very clear move to make sure that the Indians in Northern Arizona had some input from the folks down south on who would represent them. Gerrymandering gets neither more effective, nor more obvious than in Arizona.

Comment

What about the computer game?
                        Not sure any writer went down hill faster other than Orson Scott Card.
                        I really hate the fact I get this reference.

Comment

Again, a really good idea. What prevents it from degenerating into an exercise to protect incumbents?
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                            I made no comment on who did the gerrymandering, I was just commenting on how well it was done. There was a very clear move to make sure that the Indians in Northern Arizona had some input from the folks down south on who would represent them. Gerrymandering gets neither more effective, nor more obvious than in Arizona.
                            I'm not really clear at what you're getting at. The tribal lands are huge, but the actual populations are relatively small (I know, having driven across the Navajo Reservation a number of times when visiting my future wife). The main issue I've ever heard here regarding tribal lands and elections is that it's a problem to have elections/primaries to early in the calendar year as it's harder to get around in some places on the Res, so they tend to have them a little later.
                            Very well, said.
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Again, a really good idea. What prevents it from degenerating into an exercise to protect incumbents?
                              I guess the Dems and Reps on the board could somehow bargain to do so for both sides, but it doesn't seem to have worked that way. I know this time there's a number of districts for both state and federal seats where multiple incumbents ended up in the same new district. In this case it was mostly Reps this happened to, one of the main reasons for their angst. It's certainly not a perfect way to do it, but probably better than the shenanigans that can go on when legislatures are directly involved.
                              Very well, said.
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

We need to come up with a way to work the cake rule into redistricting.

One side cuts the cake.

The other side picks their slice first.
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X