Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I think two different people are posting from FF's account. One of them posts subtle, thoughtful philosophical discussions from a halting but sincere perspective. The other one types "This is interesting..." and then copy-pastes the contents of mookie's chain letters.

Haven't found whether it's a simple alternation or another pattern, but I don't think we can rule out a masterful trolling job just yet.
    I still think FreshFish IS mookie. The similarities are just too close to discount...
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      PS Perhaps Obama's declaration that family should be off-limits indicates that he realizes how unpopular Michele is in some quarters?
      she is popular here! i'd hit that. she's hot.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I'm waiting for Barry to tell us how Mitt is a wild-eyed fire-breathing radical who makes soup out of babies and knocks over old men in their walkers, that will be fun to see how he tries to pull that off.
        Yeah, because said demonization is a one-way street and the President has never, ever, received similar treatment.

And no I'm not talking about legitimately earned criticisms.
        Last edited by Slap Shot; 04-13-2012, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Yeah, because said demonization is a one-way street and the President has never, ever, received similar treatment.

And no I'm not talking about legitimately earned criticisms.
          Darn right!
          *****http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h0E3yj60bOU/SHzd9DBgLTI/AAAAAAAAB4s/-0KAAon2GFE/s400/obama.jpg******

Comment

FF- Mr les and I have made the decisions you talk about as well. With similar results. I don't resent Mrs Romney for being able to stay home. I just don't see how saying she hasn't worked outside the home is an attack on stay at home parents. I also don't see how to relate to someone who has not had to financially toil as most people do. I don't resent her wealth. It doesn't reosonate with me when she tries to say she is like me. She is not. That would be like me saying I knew what it was like to be an immigrant farmworker, I was one of them and expecting people to buy it.

I do agree families should be off limits unless they use themselves as an audiovisual aide. Curious for people who say families are off limits not matter what. Are people supposed to ignore what family members say and not respond to them. I think of Hillary who was very vocal at one point. She was lambasted but She put herself in the crosshairs.

Comment

The question for us was never "whether" it was "who" and "how much" and "which one" and "when." The Romneys were fortunate that they could have a skewed distribution compared to most folks. I don't resent them for that.
              The way I read her (les) comment, and I agree with it if I read it correctly, I don't think she resents them for the decision they were fortunate enough to be able to make, either. But the fact that she was able to make that decision, and still live VERY comfortably, does more or less preclude her ability to truly understand the position of the working parent. And if you are going to go out and publicly say "I understand and I empathize" you risk people with the ability to see through your BS saying "You don't understand and you lack the ability to empathize."

I also don't resent them. However, I find her attitude condescending, and I don't think that's a very attractive quality.

Edit: les beat me to a response.
              Last edited by duper; 04-13-2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                FF- Mr les and I have made the decisions you talk about as well. With similar results. I don't resent Mrs Romney for being able to stay home. I just don't see how saying she hasn't worked outside the home is an attack on stay at home parents. I also don't see how to relate to someone who has not had to financially toil as most people do. I don't resent her wealth. It doesn't reosonate with me when she tries to say she is like me. She is not. That would be like me saying I knew what it was like to be an immigrant farmworker, I was one of them and expecting people to buy it.

I do agree families should be off limits unless they use themselves as an audiovisual aide. Curious for people who say families are off limits not matter what. Are people supposed to ignore what family members say and not respond to them. I think of Hillary who was very vocal at one point. She was lambasted but She put herself in the crosshairs.
                why does it have to be about money? don't we all have more in common with each other to compare and contrast our lives? so they have money. does that mean she doesn't have to worry about her kids? how they do in school, with friends, with activities? why wouldn't you have a great deal in common with immigrant farmworkers and could relate to their life and what it's like to be them? i'd bet money offers more dangers than not having money to begin with. look at randolph and mortimer duke.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  why does it have to be about money? don't we all have more in common with each other to compare and contrast our lives? so they have money. does that mean she doesn't have to worry about her kids? how they do in school, with friends, with activities? why wouldn't you have a great deal in common with immigrant farmworkers and could relate to their life and what it's like to be them? i'd bet money offers more dangers than not having money to begin with. look at randolph and mortimer duke.
                  It's not just about money. It's about stress.

Do you believe for one second that worrying about your kids in their private school (I'm assuming Romney's kids go to private school) is anything like worrying about your kids at public school? Obviously not, because if it was the same, why spend the money on the private school?

And you would lose the bet about money offering more dangers. I hope that comment is tongue in cheek, but just in case it isn't.

Of course, we all have a lot in common, but Mrs. Romney said that she could understand the troubles of working mothers. How? How can she? I can't understand the troubles of migrant farmworkers. Yeah, I read Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men, so I have an idea what those troubles might be, but that doesn't mean I can relate to them. I can't.

Comment

It really isn't about the money as much as the different experience you have when you have some. Yes we all have some things in common, but I highly doubt Mrs Romney had to worry about whether she can afford things that will get her children ahead, whether she can get the day off or the time off if things suddenly change like school being cancelled, etc. I might have a great deal in common with those immigrant farmworkers but I am fairly sure that I do not get the stresses of worrying about whether there will be work, if my kid will be somewhere they can get good schooling, etc. If I try to tell them I have life just like them I am guessing they would think I was full of BS.

Comment

so the one side has class warfare, and the other has race. whoopie doo. y'all are ****ed. no wonder people tune out.

Comment

so the one side has class warfare, and the other has race. whoopie doo. y'all are ****ed. no wonder people tune out.
                        What? THis isn't about class. You could use an example if you had a fisherman try to tell a farmer they were alike. Point is talk about stuff you do have a similarity with when you are trying to relate with folks. Don't try to be what you aren't..

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          What? THis isn't about class. You could use an example if you had a fisherman try to tell a farmer they were alike. Point is talk about stuff you do have a similarity with when you are trying to relate with folks. Don't try to be what you aren't..

Comment

Honest question. Does anybody really know what Romney stands for, what policies he will enact, etc? Will he run as his own man?
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              Honest question. Does anybody really know what Romney stands for, what policies he will enact, etc? Will he run as his own man?
                              Romney stands for Romney. To that extent he'll probably run as "his own man" more than any other candidate in history.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Romney stands for Romney. To that extent he'll probably run as "his own man" more than any other candidate in history.
                                And get dx'd with MPI (multiple personality disorder) soon after being sworn in. When he was in Mass he spun like a top on issues. All in the name of being electable as Prez in the general election. I wonder (very serious here) if the guy really has a view about things that isn't driven by what he thinks about how it will play. The biggest one here was abortion where he turned about face after making many impassioned statements regarding the right to chose being a woman's right, etc. Turns out he at the same time he had counseled a woman in his church with serious medical problems not to get an abortion even after other Church Elders had told her it was OK d/t the huge risks she had and the medical advice that she was in big trouble. They played an interview with her that I found pretty scary.

Comment

Working...
                                X