Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

Continuation...
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: 2012 Elections - Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death....

wow, that's about the only time I can ever remember getting in the last word!
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

From the last thread:

"God" merely placed fossils into rocks as a test of our faith; fossils do not "really" indicate evidence of anything other than creationism).
      Christians are taught that God is omnipotent and omniscient, all-seeing and all-knowing. Thus, God must already know what our true faith is. Why would God need to test it?

Also, what happens if we "fail" this faith test? Assuming you've been baptized and everything per your denomination of Christianity, you still go to heaven anyway.
      Last edited by Twitch Boy; 03-29-2012, 06:56 PM.
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
        From the last thread:

Christians are taught that God is omnipotent and omniscient, all-seeing and all-knowing. Thus, God must already know what our true faith is. Why would God need to test it?
        Because silly hotdog head, blind belief is the only thing that matters.

Oh and did you know if we had one more bombing run, 'Merica would have won the Vietnam war?

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmm. Skillets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Mt6zqCXwMXA
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

Also, what happens if we "fail" this faith test? Assuming you've been baptized and everything per your denomination of Christianity, you still go to heaven anyway.
            I haven't believed this horsehockey in years, but my understanding is that all Christian denominations teach that, at a minimum, faith is required for salvation. So just because you've gone through the motions of baptism (if that's even required in your flavor), communion (whether you're actually being a cannibal, or just enjoying god cookies), and whatever the heck sort of confirmation/coming of age thing each variant does, doesn't mean you're automatically being "saved" whenever Zombie Jesus returns. Plus, Catholicism (and possibly others?) also requires "good works".

Comment

Lutherans believe in salvation by faith alone. good works smacks a bit of indulgences. (little joke there, no offense intend to anyone)

have to chuckle at the anti-Christian types - ALL Christians are the same, ALL believe in tele-evanglelists, ALL are far right wing, ALL anti-abortion yada, yada.

are all Muslims terrorists? do they all beat their wives?

one of the best Christians I ever knew was a gay man. alternative lifestyle, a Harley, drugs, sex and rock and roll and everything in between. neverwent to church. he knew his New Testament hands down and he lived it. kind caring loving sharing accepting giving.

don't be so quick to judge us Christians!
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I'm not anti-Christian by any means - believe what you want. As a reformed Catholic, that doesn't mean I don't get to point out the inconsistencies, the plot holes, and the retcons, and just generally poke fun at the whole thing.

I should make it clear that I'm not wholly atheist, mostly just skeptical.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                  Lutherans believe in salvation by faith alone. good works smacks a bit of indulgences. (little joke there, no offense intend to anyone)

have to chuckle at the anti-Christian types - ALL Christians are the same, ALL believe in tele-evanglelists, ALL are far right wing, ALL anti-abortion yada, yada.

are all Muslims terrorists? do they all beat their wives?

one of the best Christians I ever knew was a gay man. alternative lifestyle, a Harley, drugs, sex and rock and roll and everything in between. neverwent to church. he knew his New Testament hands down and he lived it. kind caring loving sharing accepting giving.

don't be so quick to judge us Christians!
                  This bugs me as well. When I see these attempts to prove that there is no god, it makes me wonder why.

I have listened to my dad talk about his religious beliefs a lot over the years. In his eyes, everything about the world is proof enough to him that there is a god, and he frankly doesn't give a good god dam if anyone else believes it. (Ok it probably troubles him that none of his kids do) To me, that's what faith is. You see the evidence of something everywhere, not on contradiction to the facts, but in addition to them. I have never heard a single fact that either supports or disproves the existence of any god. What I have heard is a great deal of bluster from two small groups of people who just can't stand that they might not be right. It smacks of insecurity. From the religious people who do it I see it as a lack of the faith that they claim to be so proud of. From the non-religious, I'm not sure what it is, but it never strikes me as rational. Why should I care what someone else believes if it doesn't hurt me?

All of that said, I surely hope that Twitch Boy's quote was in jest, because if not, it is just pure drivel.
                  Last edited by duper; 03-29-2012, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    I haven't believed this horsehockey in years, but my understanding is that all Christian denominations teach that, at a minimum, faith is required for salvation. So just because you've gone through the motions of baptism (if that's even required in your flavor), communion (whether you're actually being a cannibal, or just enjoying god cookies), and whatever the heck sort of confirmation/coming of age thing each variant does, doesn't mean you're automatically being "saved" whenever Zombie Jesus returns. Plus, Catholicism (and possibly others?) also requires "good works".
                    I was raised and confirmed Lutheran. Basically be baptized and accept GodJesusGhost as the guy and you're already saved. They believe that God's grace alone is the only way in and that true Christians have already been given it through Jesus and are saved. They view good works, Lent, etc. as good to do, but they're not going to get you in. Man can't will himself to be saved, it has to come from God.

Basically, Protestantism started when Martin Luther realized "this indulgence thing is a load of horse hockey, and no one stands a chance of getting into heaven the way the Roman Catholics are running things" and went all 99 percent on the church.

/whoa, how the fark did I end up in a religious discussion?
                    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                      All of that said, I surely hope that Twitch Boy's quote was in jest, because if not, it is just pure drivel.
                      It's something I've wondered. Thought of it one day and went "wait a second..." I'm not questioning whether God exists or not, I'm questioning what would be the rationale for him taking some of the actions he does.

I've evolved into the "eh, might as well believe in SOMETHING" Pascal's Wager camp. Better to have a 1 percent chance of being saved than a 0 percent chance.

Comment

All your answers can be found here:
                        http://www.catholicity.com/baltimore-catechism/
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                          I have never heard a single fact that either supports or disproves the existence of any god.
                          Of course not - there could never be such a fact. There are a ton of facts that make it seem quite unlikely that the Christian God (or the various flavors of Christian gods, if you prefer not to be lumped together) is anything but an amalgamation and morphing of other religious/mythological/supernatural beliefs that were quite common 2000-6000 years ago. Read "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong and it becomes quite plausible from the facts in the book that God simply (excuse the term) evolved from numerous previous sects to take on the characteristics He has today.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                            have to chuckle at the anti-atheist types - ALL atheists are the same, ALL have a simple materialist view of the universe, ALL are far left wing, ALL pro-abortion yada, yada.
                            Your post. Fixed it is.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by duper
                              I have never heard a single fact that either supports or disproves the existence of any god.

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              Of course not - there could never be such a fact.
                              Just read a great quote from Joseph Conrad's "Lord Jim" touching on this. "Jim's father possessed such certain knowledge of the Unknowable as made for the righteousness of people in cottages without disturbing the ease of mind of those whom an unerring Providence enables to live in mansions."

Some specific religious claims can be evaluated rationally. God did not create the earth in seven days and He did not create Eve from Adam's rib, unless you want to stretch those statements to metaphors. But as far as ultimate statements of the Being or Non-being of God... stripped of all the Baroque rationalizations, everybody from Richard Dawkins to the Pope is merely guessing.

Pick a guess that makes you happy and live with it, and try not to be too hard on the other guessers.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 03-30-2012, 07:35 AM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X