Mercyhurst Lakers 2012/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercyhurst Lakers 2012/2013

After a disappointing 11/12 season what will the new season look like. There are a few players coming in and at the moment 2 former Niagara players. What is everyone's expectations.

Re: Mercyhurst Lakers 2012/2013

Okay, so, I guess I really don't know how to weigh the victories vs. RIT from last weekend.... Is RIT at the same level they were at as D III champs? Is there that big a difference between the best in D III and a #10 ranked D1 team? So, without knowing that, it's simply not fair to get too whooped up over these first round wins, however........

Got to love some of the new additions..... Hendrix, Dingledein, Janiga, all figure to be positive factors. Also, got to love Cicero keying the power play.... great puck movement, great shot, great eyes for the open ice.

Meanwhile, the opening ceremony on Friday night at the Ritter was outstanding, and perhaps runs a close second only to St. Cloud's. Very enjoyable!

Looking at Mercyhurst's schedule, they started at Ritter, but will they end at Ridder?
    Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Well, I expect the Lakers to contend for the CHA title. I expect the Lakers to be ranked around 8-10 the whole season. I expect the Lakers will lose/tie a game or two in the conference.
      I suspect Coach Sisti expects the Lakers to win the CHA Regular Season and Tournament. I suspect Coach Sisti expects the Lakers to make the NCAA playoffs. I even suspect Coach Sisti expects the Lakers to host an NCAA game. Just doing his job.
      "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
        Okay, so, I guess I really don't know how to weigh the victories vs. RIT from last weekend.... Is RIT at the same level they were at as D III champs? Is there that big a difference between the best in D III and a #10 ranked D1 team? So, without knowing that, it's simply not fair to get too whooped up over these first round wins, however........

Got to love some of the new additions..... Hendrix, Dingledein, Janiga, all figure to be positive factors. Also, got to love Cicero keying the power play.... great puck movement, great shot, great eyes for the open ice.

Meanwhile, the opening ceremony on Friday night at the Ritter was outstanding, and perhaps runs a close second only to St. Cloud's. Very enjoyable!

Looking at Mercyhurst's schedule, they started at Ritter, but will they end at Ridder?
        Yes, there really is that big of difference between the best of DIII and any of the top 15 D1 teams. UConn, SCSU, Vermont (right now) might be a little bit more scoreboard competitive but the gap is still very substantial.

Comment

Maybe should have called this thread "The road from Rit to Ridder." (BTW, Welcome back to the boards).

Comment

Got to love some of the new additions..... .... Hendrix, Dingledein, Janiga, all figure to be positive factors. :
            Is Dingledein a rookie ?. Either way would expect her to be an impact player. She was dominant in her last year in the PWHL.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
              Is Dingledein a rookie ?. Either way would expect her to be an impact player. She was dominant in her last year in the PWHL.
              I believe she was a prior year redshirt, so yes, first year player.
              Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Ahhhh....we are such a quiet bunch aren't we....

Comment

All that matter's is they are the number 1 seed going into the tournament. Having home ice will be a good thing to have.

Comment

Originally posted by hurstfan87 View Post
                    All that matter's is they are the number 1 seed going into the tournament. Having home ice will be a good thing to have.
                    tournament??...What tournament??
                    they may be seeded 1st in CHA atm but that doesn't guarantee they will be by the time the CHA tourney time comes

There is soooo much more that matters than just a standing in our own conference.
                    I am in a position to know that this years team is well rounded...one of the fastest skating rosters as a whole than they have had in the past.
                    Yes Hurst has had a superstar line/lines in the past (<3 those girls...miss them) but there is something awesome about the all around talent of the entire team this year.
                    Any line can and will score this year...as a fan/party with a vested interest...it is going to be an exciting year.
                    Yes there are a lot of freshman but the returning players welcomed them into the fold long before the girls even reached campus..as far as
                    the Niagara transfers go there were bonds that existed with several of them and Hurst players long before Niagara folded.
                    Coaches Sisti and Goulet will definitely do their part to develop the teams skills every single practice and game.
                    As far as goal tending goes...sooooo many "experts" say Hurst doesn't have an experienced goalie on their roster...that is an unqualified opinion from the outside looking in

An "ex" is a "has been" and a "spurt" is "drip under pressure"
                    Last edited by myStuff; 10-08-2012, 01:58 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by myStuff View Post
                      As far as goal tending goes...sooooo many "experts" say Hurst doesn't have an experienced goalie on their roster...that is an unqualified opinion from the outside looking in...
                      That depends on what is meant by "experienced". Any goalie that winds up on a college roster has already stopped a ton of pucks, and each season that they are on that roster, they see many, many more in practice. But compared to someone like Pattenden, who recorded almost 2,500 saves in her Lakers career, they are unproven at this level so far. The current goalies combined don't have 10% of her save total. It doesn't mean that they can't be as good or even better, just that they haven't played many college games to this point. That isn't an opinion, but a fact. Vetter, Harss, and Rigsby all won NCAA titles in their first year, so experience or lack of it isn't necessarily a determining factor.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        That depends on what is meant by "experienced". Any goalie that winds up on a college roster has already stopped a ton of pucks, and each season that they are on that roster, they see many, many more in practice. But compared to someone like Pattenden, who recorded almost 2,500 saves in her Lakers career, they are unproven at this level so far. The current goalies combined don't have 10% of her save total. It doesn't mean that they can't be as good or even better, just that they haven't played many college games to this point. That isn't an opinion, but a fact. Vetter, Harss, and Rigsby all won NCAA titles in their first year, so experience or lack of it isn't necessarily a determining factor.
                        I guess we could debate till the cows come home on the issue...difference...I saw every game in person...not taking anything away from Pattenden's ability but one must take into consideration the tremendous defensive support, and back checking forwards she had out in front for her 4 year reign as starting goal tender. That combination would be difficult for most teams to break through and contributed to the sometimes extreme s.o.g. differences. Could Ciampa have stepped in and be as successful?...it is highly likely...and NO I am not a Ciampa's parent. My comments are not based on bias or statistics but rather observation of the execution of both offense and defensive ends of the ice.

Comment

I guess we could debate till the cows come home on the issue...difference...I saw every game in person...not taking anything away from Pattenden's ability but one must take into consideration the tremendous defensive support, and back checking forwards she had out in front for her 4 year reign as starting goal tender. That combination would be difficult for most teams to break through and contributed to the sometimes extreme s.o.g. differences. Could Ciampa have stepped in and be as successful?...it is highly likely...and NO I am not a Ciampa's parent. My comments are not based on bias or statistics but rather observation of the execution of both offense and defensive ends of the ice.
                          So are you suggesting that Ciampa does not have the defensive support this year that Pattenden had for the past 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Stat Man View Post
                            So are you suggesting that Ciampa does not have the defensive support this year that Pattenden had for the past 4 years.
                            Please read carefully...at no point in my response did I remotely suggest lack of support this year and I don't appreciate my words being twisted in a manner to imply that I did.

To clarify...my point is that given the same game, same players...etc. "could and/or would have" Ciampa been able to step in in the past 3 years with a comparable outcome???
                            I believe it is very likely
                            Last edited by myStuff; 10-08-2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I guess we could debate till the cows come home on the issue...
                              My intent isn't to do so. You just raised the question of experience, and that's the only issue I addressed. Rather than digressing into comments about the caliber of the defense in front of either goalie, just think in terms of minutes played rather than saves made. I have no idea who is more talented, what Ciampa would have done had she played more, or what she'll do in the future. I imagine we'll find out this season.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                              X