Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
    I'm curious how everyone KNOWS that RIT wants out of the AHA. RIT has publicly said that they are happy in the AHA. There are fans that would disagree and want out of the AHA as soon as possible. Personally, I think RIT is in the catbird seat. They can stay in the AHA and be a contender for league titles and NCAA bids every year. If an ECAC spot opened up, I think RIT would be high on the list of teams that would be considered, in no small part, due to their success at the AHA level and I think the Tigers would go.

Success of late? It's not like they had 1 or 2 good years like Bentley. RIT has won or tied for 4 AHA championships. They have made 3 straight trips to the AHA tournament championship, winning 1 and parleying that to a Frozen Four appearance. The is not a johnny-come-lately program, but one with sustained success in the AHA.
    I'm almost positive I said they'd been to the conference final four every year they've been in the league.

RIt is the flagship team in the AHA. Otherwise they'd move the league title weekend closer to the east.
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
      Greg Ambrose is even dumber than I thought. Never thought it was possible.
      You don't remember him typing how qualified Ginny buckingham was to run massport?!?
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Joe Bertagna made a statement this week that if Merrimack started a women's program they would automatically be admitted to HEA because MC has a men's program in the conference. Wouldn't this also apply to UConn wanting to admit their men's program?

Comment

• Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
          Joe Bertagna made a statement this week that if Merrimack started a women's program they would automatically be admitted to HEA because MC has a men's program in the conference. Wouldn't this also apply to UConn wanting to admit their men's program?
          No
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
            I think it certainly helps that the women's program is part of HE. If their presentation is solid they will be admitted. Based on location and name recognition they are the best option for a 12th team.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
              You mean like how Bemidji State being in the Women's WCHA helped the men's team? As in it didn't help very much at all? If it did, BSU would have been in on the men's side much sooner than they were. BSU AD Rick Goeb did say that being in on all the Women's meetings (with all the same people that voted on men's issues) helped a little, as in building relationships. However, you have to remember that the schools in a conference still tend to vote based on their own interests, rather than vote by doing other schools favors.
              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
              ECAC:
              HEA: UMass
              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                RIT geographically is a ridiculous fit for the ECAC; academically and athletically, I've heard they'd much rather have Holy Cross as a travel partner for Union than RIT. Rochester is in the middle of nowhere, and a two-hour or three-hour trip between travel partners uisnt' far fetched. It's 2 hours between Colgate and Cornell, for example, given the directions and bus treks (helloooooo silos).

Also, there's an element of RIT that, for the most part, some in ECAC don't want to touch. RIT is essentially RPI with a less-rich history at the D1 level. Everyone knows RIT thinks its better than the rest of the AHA and wants out, that it wants the scholarship investment and the new rink and to seamlessly fit into another conference. But geographically, ROchester doesn't fit with anybody, especially the WCHA or the old CCHA.

Of course RIT fans think the world starts and stops with them since, yes, they have been good as of late. But Rochester and the fact that the AHA championship is played at BCA is just a fact that RIT isn't going anywhere.
                Boy, I thought you Bentley guys were pretty reasonable about stuff a few weeks ago when RIT played Bentley, but WOW was that a bitter nasty assessment of things (not to mention somewhat misinformed).
                By your take on geography, it is clear that you are another provincial New Englander. I'll state it yet again for all of the provincial New England natives...
                WESTERN NEW YORK IS NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!!! It is approximately a 7 hour drive or less to more than half of the teams in D-I hockey. No, we don't have a program every half hour in any direction like in New England, but a couple hours here and there are not a big deal. Try getting out more. I know many of you think Albany is the gateway to the Wild Wild West, but it isn't. You folks would just want to hang yourselves if you had to live in the WCHA territory. Talk about road trips.
                Holy Cross as partner with Union??? That's no different than RIT-Cornell. Holy Cross is in Worcester, a good 2 - 2.5 hours from Schenectady. As was posted earlier, RIT and Cornell are less than two hours apart. If RIT took RPI's place they could partner with Cornell and let Colgate partner with Union. If they took Quinnipiac's place, I have no idea how that might work. Then HC would be the preferable geographic choice. Although HC doesn't fit as far as the college's academic profile (not knocking the quality, just the type of school it is).
                Why do other teams' fans (at least in AHA) keep saying things like "...RIT fans think the world starts and stops with them..."? I don't believe any of us have said anything that indicates any such snobbery. I, for one, am just reiterating things that I have heard and that I believe based on what I've seen and heard about the direction of the program. To be completely honest, I would have been just as happy if RIT had stayed in D-III. I was shocked when I heard the announcement that they were going into D-I. I wasn't on here talking about them needing to move up, and didn't suspect a thing. As far as AHA vs. ECAC, I don't really care. If they did go to ECAC, I would hope and pray that they upgrade the recruiting and such because as constituted I don't think they would be competitive enough. If they don't change conferences, at least we know they have the structure in place to be consistently near the top of the standings most seasons. I don't believe I've ever posted anything implying that just because RIT has been a relatively successful AHA team that they necessarily are owed a call-up to a Big-4 conference. That doesn't even make any sense. That's not the way it works, and I think most of us RIT fans on here (just IMO, I can't speak for others) understand that.
                Can't we all just get along?
                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                  RIt is the flagship team in the AHA. Otherwise they'd move the league title weekend closer to the east.
                  Flagship? I'm not too sure I'd agree with that. RIT has been in the league for less than half of its existence. The reason the championships are here in Rochester is because it is the only site where there is an adequately large facility that has any chance of drawing any sort of attendance (and that actually was willing to put in a bid). Of course that rides so much on RIT making the Final Four. You know the league's hearts were skipping beats this year and back in 2009 when RIT was extended the full three games in the Quarterfinals.
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                    You mean like how Bemidji State being in the Women's WCHA helped the men's team? As in it didn't help very much at all? If it did, BSU would have been in on the men's side much sooner than they were. BSU AD Rick Goeb did say that being in on all the Women's meetings (with all the same people that voted on men's issues) helped a little, as in building relationships. However, you have to remember that the schools in a conference still tend to vote based on their own interests, rather than vote by doing other schools favors.
                    While that may be true, there is a big difference between admitting a school like BSU and UConn. No disrespect meant to BSU. They are not UConn. HE would like 12 members. UConn makes sense. Their admittance would be based on forward thinking. They are not a strong team right now.
                    Last edited by scoreboard; 03-29-2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Gang

F the ECAC. Think local, like the following schools -- RIT, SLU, CCT, RPI, Union, Colgate (+ Canisius and Niagara) all in one big happy Empire.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                        pass the popcorn....

Little chocolate cake with that?
                        Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Cornell and who else? In the past 10-15 years, no other school in the ECAC has been consistently in contention for NCAA trips to the point that they could be considered a traditional power. I could maybe see Union being considered one a decade from now if they keep this up.
                          You don't really understand what traditional power means do you? Cornell's current status makes them nationally relevant. Their status as a traditional power in college hockey comes from what they accomplished in the 60s and 70s, and the 8 Frozen 4s they've had. Harvard is hitting tough times in its program, and its attendance is down, but remember that they made the tournament every year from 01-06, have a national title, and numerous Frozen Fours. They could become strong again at any moment assuming they actually get decent support from their university. The problem with the new WCHA is that there is no school like Cornell (mostly on a size and interest perspective). It has a lot of Clarkson's and RPI's, but the few big schools it has just aren't very interested in hockey, (maybe Ferris qualifies along those lines, but Ferris is always going to have a harder time getting high profile games than Cornell). With the lack of name recognition that that league is going to suffer, don't be surprised if they have a hard time scheduling quality opposition out of conference. They're going to have a hard time finding a tournament site (which I think the ECAC will eventually solve by gaining what I see as another large, hockey crazy school which has the potential to grow on the national stage in RIT). I hope I'm wrong, since being from a conference of little guys, I love to see the little guys thrive. I just don't see a long term path for success for the New WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                            I'm curious how everyone KNOWS that RIT wants out of the AHA.
                            Komey, you mean you didn't see the David Letterman spoof with RIT's AD stating he wants out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Gang

F the ECAC. Think local, like the following schools -- RIT, SLU, CCT, RPI, Union, Colgate (+ Canisius and Niagara) all in one big happy Empire.
                              I would love to see that conference. But I don't see a way that those teams are going to want to leave the ECAC.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                                I would love to see that conference. But I don't see a way that those teams are going to want to leave the ECAC.
                                The non-Ivy ECAC teams and the Ivies have, from what I know, maintained a pretty healthy partnership. As cool as it is to imagine an all-New York conference or to see the Ivies finally strike out on their own (with or without Penn and Columbia), I just don't see it happening any time soon.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X