Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
    Lots of cable channels, gotta fill them up with something. I'm glad college hockey is on tv more, but it doesn't mean its getting great ratings.
    It doesn't have to be better than the best thing on the air anywhere, it just has to be better than the next best thing the network could put on the air.

Whether it actually is, of course, remains to be seen. NBCSN and CSTV are taking a big gamble on regular season hockey, it has to be said, but if they actually market the sport at all (unlike the ESPN family that treats the sport like a burden to get the stuff it really wants, and wouldn't in a thousand years pick up regular season college hockey), and really play up the 'future stars' angle that might endear it to NHL fans, there might be something here after all.
    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
      Everyone should read this link Im tell'in ya its not over.If anyone thinks North Dakota, Denver et al are going to sit around and let the Big Ten become a super conference before their collective eyes and start dictating what goes on in college hockey your nuts!
      First off the Big Ten already is a super conference. Secondly, the Big Ten is one of the most important conferences in the country regardless of the sport. They possibly could be the top sports conference in the country.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        You do realise that RPI averages in attendance over 3000 a game, right? (3435 actually, I don't even think Freitas can even hold that much)
        And that's still nowhere near enough people going through the turnstiles to make potential TV revenue negligible. Plus, UConn won't use Freitas in Hockey East, so it's capacity is irrelevant. UConn in a major conference, playing in a legit rink will move the needle. A D-3 school in a still-not-that-big rink does not. The only people who are more intrigued by RPI/RIT as opposed to UConn are the kind of people who already love college hockey and show up to games. Not much growth potential trying to court that fan.

All of us here take RPI more seriously than UConn, but we aren't going to make Hockey East or college hockey in general more profitable. That power lies in the hands of the kind of people that probably couldn't pronounce Rensselaer.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          And that's still nowhere near enough people going through the turnstiles to make potential TV revenue negligible. Plus, UConn won't use Freitas in Hockey East, so it's capacity is irrelevant. UConn in a major conference, playing in a legit rink will move the needle. A D-3 school in a still-not-that-big rink does not. The only people who are more intrigued by RPI/RIT as opposed to UConn are the kind of people who already love college hockey and show up to games. Not much growth potential trying to court that fan.

All of us here take RPI more seriously than UConn, but we aren't going to make Hockey East or college hockey in general more profitable. That power lies in the hands of the kind of people that probably couldn't pronounce Rensselaer.
          It is [gic] capacity certainly is relevant because they aren't even selling it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
            Step away from the Red Bull.
            You might want to step away from the Kool Aid.
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
              First off the Big Ten already is a super conference.
              Not in Hockey.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                At most home games there are maybe 500-600 students in attendance, not counting the band, RPI TV, WRPI personnel and other students working the game in some capacity. Look at the attendance of games when the students aren’t around and that 3,445 drops only to about 2,800 or 2,900.
                The student body should be ashamed of this development. The students should stop doing all the homework, stop watching Star Trek and Lord of the Rings and get their butts to the games...just saying.
                Last edited by AspyDad; 05-15-2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  Seriously, I go to see Union regularly, and I root for them, but I have to wonder if they can keep their recent success going. For many years, they were a doormat in the ECAC, and I'm thinking that they will be right back there before long.

Just a hunch.
                  You are a wise man, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                    . BU-BC are staying put and don't want to leave HE.
                    Does anyone think that Captain Jack Parker doesn't want to get out of HE? C'mon man. He is a goner.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                      The student body should be ashamed of this development. The students should stop doing all the homework, stop watching Star Trek and Lord of the Rings and get their butts to the games...just saying.
                      Red Army killed it.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                        First you start the UCONN Thread & now you're taking shots at the RPI students?.....get me Col. Knowlton...NOW!!!!
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                          First you start the UCONN Thread & now you're taking shots at the RPI students?.....get me Col. Knowlton...NOW!!!!
                          He is entitled. He is an RPI alum ... or an RPI parent, one or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Seriously, I go to see Union regularly, and I root for them, but I have to wonder if they can keep their recent success going. For many years, they were a doormat in the ECAC, and I'm thinking that they will be right back there before long.

Just a hunch.
                            Non-scholarship schools are always going to be more volatile. The inability to court players with free tuition means that they simply will have down years at recruiting, especially years when the big schools have large senior classes leaving and really need to reload.

However, Union will be able to ride the wave generated by their hugely successful year this year and get a few good recruiting classes in out of it, which will hopefully bring similar success.

We saw this happen at RIT after our Frozen Four run. The caliber of our freshmen overall last year was much better than in years prior to the Frozen Four run.
                            RIT

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                              As a student at the time it was created, it's what turned me off from buying tickets. I was in 33 the last year students bought those tickets on their own.
                              Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 05-15-2012, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                                He is entitled. He is an RPI alum ... or an RPI parent, one or the other.
                                Neither...UCONN alum. Bleed Cherry and White though.

Comment

Working...
                                X