Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
    As far as HEA is concerned, they could ask for applications at breakfast and have a half-dozen by lunch, so they've got the pick of the litter, but I have a feeling UConn probably wouldn't have applied if there wasn't at least a 'wink wink, nudge nudge' nod in their favor.
    My primary concern with UConn is that men's hockey will be the 5th most popular sport after Men's BBall, Football, Women's BBall and Baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamBC View Post
      My primary concern with UConn is that men's hockey will be the 5th most popular sport after Men's BBall, Football, Women's BBall and Baseball.
      Frankly, I'm flattered on behalf of the university for your optimism that hockey will be that high on the list.

Hockey is never going to be the sport that pays the bills in Storrs and the university knew that going into this. However, a self sustaining program is achievable given about a decade or so.
      UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by AdamBC View Post
        Gotta be honest, Campbell Soup Arena doesn't impress me and the Rent and XL aren't owned by UConn. So your only on-campus venue is lack-luster; while the practice facilities may be impressive, Joe Sixpack Fan isn't watching the games from them.
        The Rent is owned by the state, so it's more or less owned by the university. Campbell Soup Arena? Is that supposed to mean Gampel? I'm trying, but can't figure out this reference. Gampel..Campbell? Either way, the original statement is correct that GP/Rent/FB facility/new BB practice facility are all far superior to what anyone else in New England has.
        ยฏ\_(ツ)_/ยฏ

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
          Just throwing it out there: what do people think of playing games at the Hartford Civic Center? Think they could draw a crowd or too far from campus? I dont know anything about the area so I have no idea
          I think I'm in agreement with most people, HCC could be used temporarily but any long term arena, IMO has to be on campus.
          Gampel's reputation for being one of the toughest basketball arenas to play has grown, only because of the energy from the students. Take that same energy and and put it into a hockey arena and watch out. It may take awhile to grow, but winning teams bring in larger crowds.
          I may be off base saying this, but I have read conflicting articles about the Governor being a big hockey fan. I don't know the Governor personally, but his reluctance to support a Whaler resurrection makes me hesitant that he would support UConn hockey. Is it just a case of poor timing with the budget issues and having more important things to worry about? Or Does he truly enjoy hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by huskymike View Post
            I think I'm in agreement with most people, HCC could be used temporarily but any long term arena, IMO has to be on campus.
            Gampel's reputation for being one of the toughest basketball arenas to play has grown, only because of the energy from the students. Take that same energy and and put it into a hockey arena and watch out. It may take awhile to grow, but winning teams bring in larger crowds.
            I may be off base saying this, but I have read conflicting articles about the Governor being a big hockey fan. I don't know the Governor personally, but his reluctance to support a Whaler resurrection makes me hesitant that he would support UConn hockey. Is it just a case of poor timing with the budget issues and having more important things to worry about? Or Does he truly enjoy hockey?
            I think he enjoys posturing... there's a strong hockey audience out there... but this would be a tough sell as a personal pet project.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              The Rent is owned by the state, so it's more or less owned by the university. Campbell Soup Arena? Is that supposed to mean Gampel? I'm trying, but can't figure out this reference. Gampel..Campbell? Either way, the original statement is correct that GP/Rent/FB facility/new BB practice facility are all far superior to what anyone else in New England has.
              My guess is Frietas' resemblance to a tin can.
              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                I like it for one big reason. I think the conference is committed to finding a 12th team. I'd rather have that team be UConn than RPI or The Q. Its also a better fit with PC, BC, and UMass. The league needs to be vigilant about the school upgrading their program but aside from that this plan works for me.
                Once again I am forced to agree with Rover. UConn is a big name athletically nationally, all state New England universities playing D-I in HEA, added Hockey East visibility in CT and maybe by extension NYC. However, make sure UConn is serious about a big upgrade from where they are now.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                  Once again I am forced to agree with Rover. UConn is a big name athletically nationally, all state New England universities playing D-I in HEA, added Hockey East visibility in CT and maybe by extension NYC. However, make sure UConn is serious about a big upgrade from where they are now.
                  i believe there are a few decent martini bars in hartford too that scarlet would enjoy
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    i believe there are a few decent martini bars in hartford too that scarlet would enjoy
                    There's a brewpub as well.
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Before Hockey East goes looking for a 12th team, make sure Notre Dame is going to be the 11th team for more than just a couple years until they finally do the inevitable and join the Integer. Would be just great if we added UConn and then ND ditched us in 2015 or so and we were back to 11 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        So that is a yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                          make sure UConn is serious about a big upgrade from where they are now.
                          Don't count on it. Think Ohio State. They get 3800 fans for hockey because why would you follow hockey there when you have the football program? And if you don't like football, the bouncyball program's in the final four. When UConn "commits" to Hockey East and plays their games in Hartford, when The Whale (nee Wolfpack) can't draw 5,000, it's going to be a disaster.
                          Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            Campbell Soup Arena? Is that supposed to mean Gampel? I'm trying, but can't figure out this reference. Gampel..Campbell?
                            Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                            My guess is Frietas' resemblance to a tin can.
                            Sorry, slurpees is correct - the ladyfriend grew up a UConn fan so I call it Campbell Soup Arena to get her ire up.

Comment

Originally posted by BeloBrasil View Post
                              Yes of course. That "diaspora" always shows up in huge numbers when UConn takes on Bentley and Holy Cross - NOT! Truth is, UConn hockey is an afterthought with the university and its fans. When UConn plays at Bentley it appears there are more UConn players (not playing that evening) in the stands than actual UConn fans. ...and please spare me any argument that the small venues in which Bentley and Holy Cross play keep the fans away. When Bentley played RIT this season their fans showed up in droves. Even lowly Sacred Heart brought more fans to Bentley (during the AHA playoffs) than UConn has ever produced.
                              You can't honestly compare the thrill of playing Bentley to the dull affair of attending a conference game at the Conte, Agganis, Matthews, Whit, Alfond, Lawler, etc.

As another poster pointed out, the biggest issue will be their low place on the totem pole of D1 programs.

Comment

Originally posted by css228 View Post
                                And ECAC fans want you too. Instantly would be the second biggest fan base in the league and it would give us an obvious tournament site. Wanting RIT has been brought up repeatedly over on the ELynah forums
                                I can tell you as an avid Tiger fan, we want better competition. You guys are a great league and we know it, we just need the cards to play in our favor with a spot opening up in the ECAC and we'll be all over. I recall that earlier this summer RIT declined an invitation from the WCHA in hopes of an ECAC spot.
                                RIT Tigers

Comment

Working...
                                X