X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
    How I'd do scheduling in a 12-team Hockey East:

22 league games, two against each opponent.

Eight teams deemed to be close enough to the "center" of the league to play home-and-homes; their schedule amongst themselves is entirely home-and-home series (seven home-and-home series).

Four teams: Maine, Vermont, ND, and one other (UConn most likely) are deemed to be sufficiently "distant" that they play all-home or all-away series. Split up their play with the other eight teams, and two of their companions, and you have five home series and five away series for them (and have completed the schedule for the other eight teams). These teams do require accommodation for the last series. It has to be home-and-home; for distance reasons, I'd recommend making it one-off games for ND and whoever their scheduling partner is, but the other two teams could probably do a Friday-Sunday if they wanted to.

End result: 22 games with a perfect 11-game split home vs. away for everyone. Unfortunately, it's not practical to get a completely balanced schedule in place, and it will have an impact on schedule difficulty.
    Meh... as a fan, I have to say I would definitely not be in favor of both league games against one team in one weekend... that would mean we would see Northeastern, or UNH, or BC etc etc once in October then not at all, or not at all until the end of February. Can't say I'd be on board with that.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      Why need travel partners? It's the same thing as it's always been with Maine and UVM, except ND is another two game series. You either do two one-off games, or a weekend home and home/2 game series. UConn to every school except UVM/Maine/ND is a doable one day trip without any problem. Something tells me there would be major protest from BU, BC, and UNH if this meant they would all have to wait two years in between playing each other at home when there's no reason to.
      By "home and home's" I meant both games on one weekend.... meaning by going to a 22 game schedule in an 12 team league, we will likely not see scheduling where we play at BC (for example) on Friday then host BC at home on Saturday.
      Last edited by ericredaxe; 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM.

Comment

How I'd do scheduling in a 12-team Hockey East:

22 league games, two against each opponent.

Eight teams deemed to be close enough to the "center" of the league to play home-and-homes; their schedule amongst themselves is entirely home-and-home series (seven home-and-home series).

Four teams: Maine, Vermont, ND, and one other (UConn most likely) are deemed to be sufficiently "distant" that they play all-home or all-away series. Split up their play with the other eight teams, and two of their companions, and you have five home series and five away series for them (and have completed the schedule for the other eight teams). These teams do require accommodation for the last series. It has to be home-and-home; for distance reasons, I'd recommend making it one-off games for ND and whoever their scheduling partner is, but the other two teams could probably do a Friday-Sunday if they wanted to.

End result: 22 games with a perfect 11-game split home vs. away for everyone. Unfortunately, it's not practical to get a completely balanced schedule in place, and it will have an impact on schedule difficulty.
        If it means that Maine doesn't get every team through Alfond in a given season, it isn't worth it to expand, to me. BC/BU/UNH not coming to Orono in a given year is completely unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
          If it means that Maine doesn't get every team through Alfond in a given season, it isn't worth it to expand, to me. BC/BU/UNH not coming to Orono in a given year is completely unacceptable.
          Kind of along the lines of why I don't think they can do "home and homes" (on the same weekend). It will be individual games one home and one away against each team (with the possible exception of ND)... which to me is a negative as I think the "home and home" series in one weekend is a nice feature of the current Hockey East schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            Kind of along the lines of why I don't think they can do "home and homes" (on the same weekend). It will be individual games one home and one away against each team (with the possible exception of ND)... which to me is a negative as I think the "home and home" series in one weekend is a nice feature of the current Hockey East schedule.
            When its all said and done I'd bet on 26 games... at least short run... the league is going to be a little unstable for awhile.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

well how else do you get down the number of conference games?
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                I like your schedule.........Maine and UNH should play home and away every year (Fri/Sun).
                It'd be tricky to do something special like that, but you could do it with another offsetting home-and-home between UNH and another of the gang of four.

Meh... as a fan, I have to say I would definitely not be in favor of both league games against one team in one weekend... that would mean we would see Northeastern, or UNH, or BC etc etc once in October then not at all, or not at all until the end of February. Can't say I'd be on board with that.
                I'm certainly sympathetic to that idea. I guess my time at ND has made me more used to the idea of having two home or two away series with some teams (even desirable teams) not making it in during a season. As far as ND goes, I feel pretty strongly that the schedule is going to need to involve mostly series with both games home or both games away (with one opponent some kind of home-and-home series, probably one-offs, to give overall home-away balance). And on the NU side, I'd probably prefer to do both home or both away with Vermont and Maine, but a Friday-Sunday home-and-home is at least palatable there. I could definitely see doing that arrangement for the three "distant" New England teams and have ND be the only one doing two-home or two-away.
                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  When its all said and done I'd bet on 26 games... at least short run... the league is going to be a little unstable for awhile.
                  A non balanced schedule is even worse IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by be711 View Post
                    I don't think UConn would even be this deep into the talks if they weren't serious about it. This isn't something you can half *** and they know that. UConn has shown in the past that when they make up their minds to do something they do it right. Remember football has been to what 5 bowl games in 7 seasons as a Big East member, not to mention a top 10 practice facility in the country. Basketball was nothing when they joined the Big East 20 years ago, and they now have 3 national championships. If they do it I have faith that they are going to do it right
                    I think that when Penn State jumped in......a lightbulb went off in UConn's head.

Comment

The teams that are close in proximity can play 2 different opponents on some weekends.

Comment

Would you like to join the ECAC then?.......because that is the way that it will be. I believe that UNH will be home and home every year. In some years we'll see BC and Notre Dame or BU and Notre Dame 4 times. And with some other programs in the league picking it up a notch (Lowell, Merrimack, Providence).........I'm OK with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          "Unstable"???

Comment

It'd be tricky to do something special like that, but you could do it with another offsetting home-and-home between UNH and another of the gang of four.
                            Yeah......after trying to work out the schedule, I can see where it might be difficult to achieve.
                            Last edited by sandiegoblkbr; 04-10-2012, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                              The teams that are close in proximity can play 2 different opponents on some weekends.
                              That is what I would anticipate... so there are negatives no matter how you look at it IMO. If you play each team twice then you either have to do away with the home and home weekends, or you have to plan to see a team on only one weekend through the season. Or if you could keep some home and homes by going to more than a 22 game league schedule, but then you have an unbalanced schedule... also a negative IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                well how else do you get down the number of conference games?
                                I wouldn't have invited Notre Dame to join the league.

Comment

Working...
                                X