X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
    We want out of that garbage AHA league.
    Speak for yourself. It's not a perfect league by any means, but as of right now it represents our best chance to make the NCAA tournament in any given year.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
      Rochester is an obvious tournament site for the ECAC? I should think Syracuse would be more obvious (and Albany even moreso). Weren't people just complaining about how far west Rochester was?

Powers &8^]
      Even though we share the same rank I would not travel to either site from New Haven.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
        Speak for yourself. It's not a perfect league by any means, but as of right now it represents our best chance to make the NCAA tournament in any given year.

Powers &8^]
        Sorry but I'm sick of having a season that's realistically only 3 weekends long. I want more than one shot at the NCAA tournament and I want other schools to start looking at RIT with concern instead of "eh, we'll probably win... they may get lucky though." That's only going to happen when we put ourselves in a tougher conference, draw better recruits, and grow as a team.

Sure... the AHA is getting "stronger"... sort of. Our OOC record is improving at the rate far slower than I'd like to see RIT advancing on the national scale. Even if RITs OOC is phenomenal one year, our PWR will still be awful because of all the AHA games.
        RIT Tigers

Comment

Sorry but I'm sick of having a season that's realistically only 3 weekends long. I want more than one shot at the NCAA tournament and I want other schools to start looking at RIT with concern instead of "eh, we'll probably win... they may get lucky though." That's only going to happen when we put ourselves in a tougher conference, draw better recruits, and grow as a team.

Sure... the AHA is getting "stronger"... sort of. Our OOC record is improving at the rate far slower than I'd like to see RIT advancing on the national scale. Even if RITs OOC is phenomenal one year, our PWR will still be awful because of all the AHA games.
          That's the same PWR that's actually going to be diluted a little bit in Hockey East because they're hypothetically adding one of those teams that kills the PWR in AHA.

Historically, the PWR is destroyed in AHA because of Bentley, UConn, AIC, and Sacred Heart. Army has really been down the last couple years, and Holy Cross has historically done fairly well. Now that Bentley's up and Army's down you can swap them; that leaves really 3 teams that are killing the PWR in the conference on a consistent basis. Hard to fathom but the AHA might actually get *better* if UConn takes their team to the HEA.

They really need teams to win some OOC games; if UConn still hosts the holiday tournament and invites an AHA team, that will help since the number for UConn automatically gets better when they leave. I swear this made sense in my head and on the notebook I was scribbling math down on.
          Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
            Lets say Team A and Team B are travel partners due to their geographic proximity, and Team C and Team D are travel partners due to their geographic proximity. Both travel partners tend to play home games on the same weekend, and away games on the same weekend.

On the first weekend, both Team A and Team B are playing home games, and Team C and Team D are playing road games. Their schedule might look like this:

Friday:
            Team C at Team A
            Team D at Team B
            Saturday:
            Team D at Team A
            Team C at Team B

The next weekend, Teams A and B go on the road and this time Teams C and D both play at home. The schedule looks like this:

Friday:
            Team A at Team C
            Team B at Team D
            Saturday:
            Team B at Team C
            Team A at Team D

Since Teams A and B are so close, Teams C and D save money on travel and lodging the weekend they go on the road, and Teams A and B save money when they have to visit Teams C and D.

Sorry if that's a little too complicated. I tried to simplify it as much as possible. The two sets of travel partners don't necessarily have to play each other in home and home in successive weekends, but over the course of the season each set of travel partners will travel to the other.
            One small correctiion. The Friday and Saturday games should be reversed the second time the two pairs meet to negate any advantage or disadvantage of playing either team first.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

One less vote for cost containment in the AHA too. But be careful what you wish for. If the AHA went to 18 rides, RIT could find itself looking up at everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                One less vote for cost containment in the AHA too. But be careful what you wish for. If the AHA went to 18 rides, RIT could find itself looking up at everyone else.
                Short term yes, but our president has said several times that RIT is looking at moving atheletics up to D2 so we can offer D1 scholarships.
                RIT Tigers

Comment

Short term yes, but our president has said several times that RIT is looking at moving atheletics up to D2 so we can offer D1 scholarships.
                  There goes your Liberty League rivalry argument.

Comment

This from the USCHO article about UConn hockey ("Hockey East Looking to Add Connecticut?"):

Also, while games would be played at the XL Center, the Freitas Ice Forum would need a major upgrade, if only for recruiting and practicing.

This seems LUDICROUS to me. None of the Hockey East teams can even fill an 8,000 arena and UConn is going to play in a 17,000 seat one??? Just who do they think is going to go? And they would be the only conference school that plays their games off campus.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      This from the USCHO article about UConn hockey ("Hockey East Looking to Add Connecticut?"):

Also, while games would be played at the XL Center, the Freitas Ice Forum would need a major upgrade, if only for recruiting and practicing.

This seems LUDICROUS to me. None of the Hockey East teams can even fill an 8,000 arena and UConn is going to play in a 17,000 seat one??? Just who do they think is going to go? And they would be the only conference school that plays their games off campus.
                      They'd be better off playing in 2000 seat Freitas. At least conceivably theres a chance the games could be a hot ticket if theres low supply
                      #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                        They'd be better off playing in 2000 seat Freitas. At least conceivably theres a chance the games could be a hot ticket if theres low supply
                        I saw the thing about Freitas in the Courant link I posted on the other thread. Didn't understand it unless they are talking about adding a weight room to the rink. What else do they need? More offices and bigger trainers' facilities? As it stands now it should be fine for practice. And it could be enlarged fairly quickly in stages. They could probably get it to 2500 or 3000 in the summer of 2013, with a further upgrade on the north side the following year although that might require raising the roof.

Comment

I saw the thing about Freitas in the Courant link I posted on the other thread. Didn't understand it unless they are talking about adding a weight room to the rink. What else do they need? More offices and bigger trainers' facilities? As it stands now it should be fine for practice. And it could be enlarged fairly quickly in stages. They could probably get it to 2500 or 3000 in the summer of 2013, with a further upgrade on the north side the following year although that might require raising the roof.
                          Fixing the glass and scoreboard so they don't keep breaking wouldn't hurt, either.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            This seems LUDICROUS to me. None of the Hockey East teams can even fill an 8,000 arena and UConn is going to play in a 17,000 seat one???
                            They are just following in the distinguished footsteps of THE Ohio State University.

Comment

Last time I was there I was trying to figure out how you'd do an expansion, and I have to say without relocating Morrone I think it might be tricky. But with the planned upgrading of that facility maybe it wouldn't be that big a deal. As far as other space goes, I have to think that plans to build a new soccer facility would free up a lot of space in Frietas. As I understand it, the mens and womens soccer teams both have their locker rooms in Frietas now. I do think that this will start out in the XL Center, which is really too big not only for UCONN hockey but also for most other uses it gets, excepting the occassional UCONN basketball game. But even there most don't sell out. I guess if it were up to me, I'd try and get up to maybe 3000 in Frietas and play non-conference/lesser known games there and take BC, BU, PC, Maine UNH to Hartford. Merrimack, UML, NOrtheastern in Frietas. (Not knocking any of those programs by the way, just that they won't be the same level of draw at least initially). This was essensially the model UCONN used in its early Big East days for basketball. St Johns, Georgetown, Syracuse in Hartford, Seton Hall, PC and the non-league games in the old field house. In a perfect world, I'd build a new facility in Storrs, and rebuild the civic Center at a smaller capacity witht he ability to close off significant portions.

Comment

Good for the new AD. I believe UCONN can be good very quick. Standards aren't like some other schools (heck they let me in) and will be able to get kids in relatively easy. The football program might be the model. I'm not so interested in where they play but what the coaching staff will look like. Can we take anything that Coach Marshall was unavailable for comment as an indicator of where his future lies? Whatever his fate he should get a landing spot.
                                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Working...
                                X