Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UConn to apply to Hockey East

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    Just throwing it out there: what do people think of playing games at the Hartford Civic Center? Think they could draw a crowd or too far from campus? I dont know anything about the area so I have no idea
    HCC is just too big and unless you are successful students just don't come along... its also too far from campus. UConn has a strong "bandwagon" and "must win" component because of basketball. Football has been realigning expectations but I think it would be a slow build. UConn can help themselves immensely by doing the local outreach they've not done over the years... kids groups and the like. Youth group nights, kiddos playing 5x5 on the ice, so on.

HCC is just a non-starter. Nothing wrong with location per se (other than traffic patterns!) but that place will just be a cavern.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Don't you dare leave AHA! RIT wants to move into the ECAC....
      RIT Tigers

Comment

Cya, you suck?

For a middling team in AHA I think their first few years will be real rough in HE. Beyond that, I don't want to see AHA lose any teams. Would be nice if we could adopt UAH..
        RIT

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
          Just throwing it out there: what do people think of playing games at the Hartford Civic Center? Think they could draw a crowd or too far from campus? I dont know anything about the area so I have no idea
          It would realistically be the 3rd winter sports in terms of priorities for fans. Think about that. Them playing in the HCC would be like the 2011 regional in St. Louis, about 500 people there

They have a subpar high school rink.

Just like the ACC said, go pound sand.

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
            Don't you dare leave AHA! RIT wants to move into the ECAC....
            And screw up the league's travel partner schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              And screw up the league's travel partner schedule?
              We want out of that garbage AHA league.
              RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                We want out of that garbage AHA league.
                And you want to go to a league that can't even get a TV deal for the league championship?

Being a big fish in a small pond is not always a bad thing.

Comment

Miscellaneous thoughts:

-There's a big UConn diaspora, especially in Boston, which will probably help get the ship off the ground.
                  -RE Hartford, I'm sure UConn is capable of organizing bussing/transit 23 miles away. (Hell, Umass is having its D1 football games in Foxboro, something like 2 hours away)
                  -The Civic Center probably has a liquor license.
                  -I would think Uconn will be a punching bag for a couple years, which will maintain parity when well established ND steps in.

Comment

XL would be a disaster, the place is a worthless dump. You wouldn't get kids to pile onto buses to go into Hartford on a Friday night. If an arena is built on campus (slim chance), it could definitely work out.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

True, but it's a bad thing regarding higher quality recruits and PWR.
                      RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                        The next eastern conference will come out of the western AHA split... RMU, Mercyhurst, Canisius, etc. (excluding Air Force). After that, the gates are wide open and you'll see expansion throughout the northern atlantic, Ohio, and Illinois.
                        Yes, RMU, Mercyhurst, Niagara, Canisius et al could leave, start a new conference allowing the max number of scholarships, and be much happier. Heck, UAH could join them. Now, just to think of a name for the new conference....???? I think "College Hockey America" is available.
                        Bentley University Hockey
                        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                          Yes, RMU, Mercyhurst, Niagara, Canisius et al could leave, start a new conference allowing the max number of scholarships, and be much happier. Heck, UAH could join them. Now, just to think of a name for the new conference....???? I think "College Hockey America" is available.
                          Thanks... now let's think about this one... a few programs are looking to go up... they're middle level institutions... they don't see a lot of options except that a certain group of schools may want to go up in the world....

The CHA had two problems. Too few teams, expansive geography. What I'm saying is that you could end up in a situation with a few more times (6 in the short run but quickly and committed to 7-8) and they would be much more geographically compact. Instead of Northern Minnesota, CO Springs, Huntsville, and Niagara you are instead in the Ohio River Valley, Mid-Atlantic, etc. A lot more geographically compact and a firmer commitment.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

This might make gene defilippo notice hockey and that's not necessarily a good thing. If it ever came to a vote I'm pretty sure he'd say F off.

Comment

I'll believe in any kind of expansion of programs when I see it.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                This might make gene defilippo notice hockey and that's not necessarily a good thing. If it ever came to a vote I'm pretty sure he'd say F off.
                                If it came to a vote Gene would 110% percent tell them to go screw

Comment

Working...
                                X