X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Athlete of All-time

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Seriously? Eating is a sport?

How about Doyle Brunson for Texas Hold 'Em poker then?
    Are you saying that I shouldn't have taken Dirty's nomination seriously?
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      OK then, I'll narrow my suggestions down considerably from that list I added earlier only to include Bob Mathias (seriously, two decathlon gold medals!), Diana Taurasi, Edwin Moses, and Al Oerter as you added Sanderson and Graf already.
      (I can go over 128, it isn't a big deal, realistically I can go up to 160)

I will add all of these.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        Brett Hull but not Bobby Hull? Or did I miss an era requirement?
        No era requirement, just a miss on my part. I will add him.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Kristi yamaguchi
          Midori Ito
          Katerina Witt
          Sasha Cohen
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
            Not sure how many baseball players you want, but...

Roberto Clemente
            Honus Wagner
            Christy Mathewson

Jimmie Foxx seems random.

Also, including Josh Gibson opens a can of worms, so either don't do it, or include Satchel Paige too. Buck Leonard. Cool Papa Bell. Hard to draw a line there. Reliable stats and info are very hard to find for anyone who didn't spend the majority of their career in MLB.

Not Keith Hernandez
            I added them, and I added Satchel Paige, and that is where I will draw the line there. One position player, one pitcher, each of which I understand to be the best batter and pitcher. Also, I can get rid of Foxx, he is one that I wasn't sure of, but you know a bunch more about baseball than me, and I obviously have enough people.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
              Shaun White for sure. if Secretariat is in so should Man O War.

Rocky Marciano??
              John Elway??? but no Bart Starr or Joe Montana?

hockey needs Terry Sawchuk and Bobby Hull!
              I have Joe Montana, Shaun White and Man O War. I don't think Bart Starr makes the cut...Elway is borderline, IMO. I read about Marciano earlier today and I thought he deserved a spot on the list, he is the only undefeated, untied world champion ever.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                Not even close to being the most successful. Annemarie Moser-Proll and Marc Giradelli have more overall World Cup and discipline World Cup championships than Vonn.
                She has more individual discipline titles than Giradelli (he has 9, she has 12) and is one away from Giradelli (5 vs 4 for Vonn) in overall titles. Vonn also has more WC race wins than Giradelli (53 vs 46). She is also two more individual discipline titles (12 vs 10) than Prol and only two from tying Proll in overall titles (6 vs 4). Proll does have 62 WC race wins to Vonn's 53.

Now Vonn does ski in an era where there are four WC disciplines (five if you consider the combined a discipline). Proll skied in one where there were three (again, four if you consider the combined a discipline, which didn't come into play until the mid 70s).
                Last edited by UMDbulldogs#1; 03-29-2012, 09:31 PM.
                How do they expect us to throw hotdogs at the gophers with that [Expletive deleted] net in front of us?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

Original Penalty Box Member

Comment

I'm keeping Vonn, I can add the others if it is needed.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Some really famous boxing journalist died recently (Bert Sugar). Sports Illustrated ran a picture spread of his top pound-for-pound boxing champions since 1900. Ali was # 7 (!!! ); Joe Louis was # 4, and Sugar Ray Robinson was # 1. Most of the boxers were from the 1910s through 1930s. overlapping each other at one end or the other. Not at all suggesting that you include many or more than the one below.

Anyway, if part of being a "great athlete" is performing your best when the stakes are highest, then Joe Louis deserves consideration; his rematch with Max Schmeling had significant political overtones....

The[ir] two fights came to embody the broader political and social conflict of the times. As the first significant African American athlete since Jack Johnson, Louis was among the few focal points for African American pride in the 1930s. Moreover, as a contest between representatives of the United States and Nazi Germany during the 1930s, the fights came to symbolize the struggle between democracy and fascism. Louis' performance in the bouts therefore elevated him to the status of the first true African American national hero in the United States.
                    Last edited by FreshFish; 03-29-2012, 08:54 PM.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Some really famous boxing journalist died recently (Bert Sugar maybe? memory for name is uncertain). Sports Illustrated ran a picture spread of his top pound-for-pound boxing champions since 1900. Ali was # 4, if i recall correctly; Joe Louis I think was ahead of Ali. Most of the people on the list were different weight classes (only 2 or 3 heavyweights) and many were from the 10s, 20s and 30s. Not at all suggesting that you include many or any, if I can find a link it's interesting in its own right.

Anyway, if part of being a "great athlete" is performing your best when the stakes are highest, then Joe Louis deserves consideration; his rematch with Max Schmelling (sp?) had significant political overtones.
                      I have Joe Louis on the list. The boxing list I was reading today had it #1 Louis, #2 Ali, #3 Robinson, #4 Tyson, #5 Marciano

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        I have Joe Louis on the list.
                        if it's not too much to ask, would you mind posting an updated list? Maybe take a few more ideas on the "weakest" nominees to remove to be replaced by someone "more worthy"?

Also, it does sound like you are trying to be broadly representative, at least to have one or two significant candidates from most major athletic disciplines. May I humbly suggest a wheelchair athlete? I've read about several; I'm hoping some other reader of the thread can suggest someone or two....

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

if it's not too much to ask, would you mind posting an updated list? Maybe take a few more ideas on the "weakest" nominees to remove to be replaced by someone "more worthy"?

Also, it does sound like you are trying to be broadly representative, at least to have one or two significant candidates from most major athletic disciplines. May I humbly suggest a wheelchair athlete? I've read about several; I'm hoping some other reader of the thread can suggest someone or two....
                          That is fine with me, I just need to know names. I will post the list, and if there are weak candidates that should be removed I can do that.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Bart Starr is the only quarterback with FIVE championship rings. take that John Elway!
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              That is fine with me, I just need to know names. I will post the list, and if there are weak candidates that should be removed I can do that.
                              Thank you. I'm looking forward to it.

This is kind of fun, sort of a low-key laboratory experiment in cooperative participatory democracy.

Comment

Auto Racing:
                                Dale Earnhardt
                                Richard Petty
                                AJ Foyt
                                Michael Schumaker

Baseball:
                                Babe Ruth
                                Ty Cobb
                                Ted Williams
                                Walter Johnson
                                Sandy Koufax
                                Lou Gehrig
                                Jackie Robinson
                                Hank Aaron
                                Cy Young
                                Josh Gibson
                                Roger Clemens
                                Stan Musial
                                Barry Bonds
                                Pete Rose
                                Dave Winfield (also basketball)
                                Pedro Martinez
                                Jimmie Foxx
                                Alex Rodriguez
                                Nolan Ryan
                                Willie Mays
                                Ricky Henderson
                                Albert Pujols
                                Joe DiMaggio
                                Roberto Clemente
                                Honus Wagner
                                Christy Mathewson
                                Satchel Paige
                                Cal Ripken Jr.

Basketball:
                                Michael Jordan
                                Wilt Chamberlain
                                Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
                                Magic Johnson
                                Bill Russell
                                Kobe Bryant
                                Karl Malone
                                Larry Bird
                                Moses Malone
                                LeBron James
                                Shaquille O'Neal
                                Oscar Robertson
                                Diana Taurasi

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X