Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Greatest Athlete of All-time

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
    I don't know if he's the greatest of all time, but ever since I saw him compete in 1977 at the Division III NCAAs at little Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI, I have thought that the great track star Edwin Moses was quite the example of the scholar-athlete-olympian-citizen. Edwin Moses
    Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    For track and field, please add Edwin Moses
    Thank you FreshFish: Edwin Moses
    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I want to post the list so far, because I have a feeling that I'm missing some obvious ones, and also that I might have included some that don't belong. (its hard to find that line) (also, some might complain that I included some of the young guys that are still playing, I've tossed it back and forth in my head whether I should or not. I feel like there are better players of the past, but also want to have some of the recent guys to have as a measuring stick)

Hockey:
      Wayne Gretzky
      Mark Messier
      Bobby Orr
      Mario Lemieux
      Gordie Howe
      Brett Hull
      Patrick Roy
      John Mayasich
      Sid Crosby
      Steve Yzerman
      Martin Brodeur
      Alex Ovechkin
      Marcel Dionne
      Hobey Baker

Basketball:
      Michael Jordan
      Wilt Chamberlain
      Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
      Magic Johnson
      Bill Russell
      Kobe Bryant
      Karl Malone
      Moses Malone
      Larry Bird
      LeBron James
      Shaquille O'Neal
      Brett Hull but not Bobby Hull? Or did I miss an era requirement?
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Baseball:
        Babe Ruth
        Sandy Koufax
        Ted Williams
        Walter Johnson
        Cy Young
        Barry Bonds
        Jackie Robinson
        Ty Cobb
        Hank Aaron
        Mickey Mantle
        Lou Gehrig
        Josh Gibson
        Stan Musial
        Pete Rose
        Roger Clemens
        Dave Winfield (because of his excellence at several sports)
        Pedro Martinez
        Jimmy Foxx
        Alex Rodriguez
        Nolan Ryan
        Willie Mays
        Ricky Henderson
        Not sure how many baseball players you want, but...

Roberto Clemente
        Honus Wagner
        Christy Mathewson

Jimmie Foxx seems random.

Also, including Josh Gibson opens a can of worms, so either don't do it, or include Satchel Paige too. Buck Leonard. Cool Papa Bell. Hard to draw a line there. Reliable stats and info are very hard to find for anyone who didn't spend the majority of their career in MLB.

Not Keith Hernandez
        Last edited by jen; 03-29-2012, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          We can take Brett Hull out; he isn't good unless his foot is in the crease.

Comment

I don't think Hernandez is good enough, but if others agree that he should be there, I'll add him. I just think there are others in baseball that I've left off that I'd put ahead of Hernandez.
            Originally posted by jmh View Post
            Seriously though: I love Keith Hernandez, but he doesn't really belong on this list.
            Originally posted by jen View Post
            Not Keith Hernandez
            Alright alright. So, the suggestion was partly my Mets bias and partly the fact that they had to change the rules of the game to stop him from being so effective on pick-offs. I didn't actually believe he was a top-flight pick.
            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Shouldn't baseball's ironman Cal Ripken Jr. get some props on this list?
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
              Northeast Regional:
              West Regional: 2015, 2021
              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

If there's ever a campaign to expand the list:

All those I could think of have been mentioned. Just want to plug the athlete I consider the best of those I've actually seen in action. I looked for a video clip of the play but couldn't find one...just this written account of a play Bo Jackson made:

On June 5, 1989, Jackson ran down a long line-drive deep to left field on a hit-and-run play against the Seattle Mariners. With speedy Harold Reynolds running from first base on the play, Scott Bradley's hit would have been deep enough to score him against most outfielders. But Jackson, from the warning track, turned flat footed and fired a strike to catcher Bob Boone, who tagged the sliding Reynolds out. Jackson's throw reached Boone on the fly. Interviewed for the "Bo Jackson" episode of ESPN Classic's SportsCentury, Reynolds admitted that he thought there was no way anyone would throw him out on such a deep drive into the gap in left-center, and was shocked to see his teammate telling him to slide as he rounded third base.
                I've saw the throw many times on video way back when. It was the greatest throw I've ever personally seen. It looked more like a line drive off a bat than ball thrown by a human.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Shaun White for sure. if Secretariat is in so should Man O War.

Rocky Marciano??
                  John Elway??? but no Bart Starr or Joe Montana?

hockey needs Terry Sawchuk and Bobby Hull!
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

That last picture isn't her. That's Alison Waite.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Re: The Greatest Athlete of All-time

Does Lindsey Vonn belong on this list? She is pretty much the most successful downhill skier ever.
                      Not even close to being the most successful. Annemarie Moser-Proll and Marc Giradelli have more overall World Cup and discipline World Cup championships than Vonn.
                      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

But Lindsey Vonn is really attractive and single. That has to count for something.
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                          If there's ever a campaign to expand the list:

All those I could think of have been mentioned. Just want to plug the athlete I consider the best of those I've actually seen in action. I looked for a video clip of the play but couldn't find one...just this written account of a play Bo Jackson made:

I've saw the throw many times on video way back when. It was the greatest throw I've ever personally seen. It looked more like a line drive off a bat than ball thrown by a human.
                          She's got my vote!
                          NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            Seriously? Eating is a sport?

How about Doyle Brunson for Texas Hold 'Em poker then?
                            Stu Ungar for poker, too.

He is one of only two people to have won the World Series of Poker Main Event three times (Johnny Moss also has three WSOP titles but his first was obtained by a vote of the players, not by winning a tournament). He is also the only person to win Amarillo Slim's Super Bowl of Poker three times, the world's second most prestigious poker title during its time.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The late Toni Sailer and Jean Claude Killy come quickly to mind when you mention Alpine skiiers.
                              Killy was the first to come to mind. Stenmark and Giradelli too. Hermann Maier also popped in there, but he had technology available to him that Killy didn't. I reluctantly put Vonn in that same group. She's an amazing skier and one hell of an athlete, but she also has technology that previous generations didn't. Plake is the best free skier in any era and the late Shane McConkey was one of the few in Plake's league as far as ability IMO.
                              Last edited by UMDbulldogs#1; 03-29-2012, 09:22 PM.
                              How do they expect us to throw hotdogs at the gophers with that [Expletive deleted] net in front of us?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

Original Penalty Box Member

Comment

I agree. Bobby Hull is the greatest left wing ever. Ever.
                                How do they expect us to throw hotdogs at the gophers with that [Expletive deleted] net in front of us?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

Original Penalty Box Member

Comment

Working...
                                X