Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Athlete of All-time

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    I'd imagine making a save on a tipped Chara slap shot is up there in the difficulty category as well. As is the touch required to swish a shot from 3 point range, or throw a 50 yard pass down the sideline.
    All difficult accomplishments, to be sure. But in baseball, guys who are successful at the plate only 25% of the time can have long profitable and even HOF careers. Guys who are successful 30% of the time are multi-tillionaires. And a guy who's successful 40% of the time (last one about 70 years ago) is put on the athletic equivalent of Mt. Rushmore.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Pheippides- Distance runner

Dude created the marathon after killing Persians all day.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
        Pheippides- Distance runner

Dude created the marathon after killing Persians all day.
        Plus he founded a shoe company!
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Sometimes one wonders how "athletic" golf is, when you have these great "golden oldie" success stories like Greg Norman at the 2008 British Open, Tom Watson at the 2009 British Open (nearly 60 at the time?), and now Fred Couples in the 2nd-round lead at the Masters at age 52.

I think it is great that these guys can play so well for so long (Nicklaus was 46 when he won the 1986 Masters, no?), and I certainly don't mean to imply people in their 50s can't still perform very well athletically.

However, neither can I imagine someone in their 40s or 50s being competitive with people in their 20s and 30s, straight up, in most "athletic" competitions that involve speed, strength, endurance, relfexes, even precise hand-eye coordination.
          Jamie Moyer says "Hi".
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Jamie Moyer says "Hi".
            agreed, baseball is not exactly the most "athletic" of sports either....
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

OK, I have the final lists done. I have taken suggestions, added some, didn't add others for various reasons. Also deleted a few weaker picks that were on the list before. I'm sure that some people will think that I left some people off that deserve to be there, but the list can't have everyone on it, and everyone has a different opinion about everyone on the list. Besides, arguing who is #151 or #152 is pretty pointless when we're looking for #1. At this point, votes in the polls section are all that will matter. I will begin posting polls today, but it will be a long process, we'll see how busy I am at work, I may or may not get it all done today.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

OK, I have the final lists done. I have taken suggestions, added some, didn't add others for various reasons. Also deleted a few weaker picks that were on the list before. I'm sure that some people will think that I left some people off that deserve to be there, but the list can't have everyone on it, and everyone has a different opinion about everyone on the list. Besides, arguing who is #151 or #152 is pretty pointless when we're looking for #1. At this point, votes in the polls section are all that will matter. I will begin posting polls today, but it will be a long process, we'll see how busy I am at work, I may or may not get it all done today.
                Thanks very much for compiling. Much appreciated. Look forward to voting.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Jamie Moyer says "Hi".
                  And Dwayne Roloson does too!
                  Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

The first one is up, I have dubbed it the New York region. I named each of the 8 for a city in the US, since I couldn't think of anything better.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The Los Angeles Region is now posted, for your viewing pleasure.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Denver Region is posted. I may try to get some more done tonight when I get home.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

agreed, baseball is not exactly the most "athletic" of sports either....
                          Well then, you shouldn't have any problems hitting major league pitching, right? I mean, it's so unathletic and all. Remind me again how Michael Jordan did in the MINORS.

Comment

I might be too late to the party, but here are 2 guys that I think should definitely be on the list:

Rowing:

Steve Redgrave: Heavyweight rower from Great Britain. Considered Britain's greatest olympic athlete ever. Won gold at 5 consecutive olympic games from 1984 - 2000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Redgrave

Eskild Ebbesen: Lightweight rower from Denmark. 3 olympic gold medals and a bronze, and a number of world championship gold medals, and will be competing again at this summer's games. Not a great wickipedia on him but google him and read around.

Keep in mind that in Rowing the events are structured such that you are pretty much only able to compete in one event per olympic games (unlike track and field or swimming), so to win 4 and 5 gold medals amounts to an incredible stretch of longevity and durability. In 1988 Redgrave actually rowed in 2 separate events (unheard of in rowing) and took the bronze in his second event, competing against people who were fresh from having not raced before.
                            Last edited by ericredaxe; 04-10-2012, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              I mean, it's so unathletic and all.
                              There are a lot of physical skills that are quite difficult and tricky to master: hitting a baseball is very difficult and takes a certain skill, there is no doubt. Billiards and pool take a lot of skill; are billiard players athletes? Did you nominate any pool players? Chess takes tremendous physical stamina at the highest international levels; intense concentration for four hours straight is very difficult and chess takes a lot of skill, in Russia they consider it a sport. I actually suggested Gary Kasparov be included on the list, because I do think there is some athleticism involved in being a grand master chess player.

No need to be so touchy; no one is downgrading or denigrating those skills at all....it is merely a question of semantics. Can an animal be an athlete? There are three on the list, after all.

Comment

There are a lot of physical skills that are quite difficult and tricky to master: hitting a baseball is very difficult and takes a certain skill, there is no doubt. Billiards and pool take a lot of skill; are billiard players athletes? Did you nominate any pool players? Chess takes tremendous physical stamina at the highest international levels; intense concentration for four hours straight is very difficult and chess takes a lot of skill, in Russia they consider it a sport. I actually suggested Gary Kasparov be included on the list, because I do think there is some athleticism involved in being a grand master chess player.

No need to be so touchy; no one is downgrading or denigrating those skills at all....it is merely a question of semantics. Can an animal be an athlete? There are three on the list, after all.
                                I'm not touchy. I just don't suffer fools gladly. Like fools who equate pool and chess with hitting major league pitching. Rudolph Wanderone, Bobby Fisher and Henry Aaron, all the same.
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 04-11-2012, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X