Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Athlete of All-time

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    I'm not touchy. I just don't suffer fools gladly. Like fools who equate pool and chess with hitting major league pitching. Rudolph Wanderone, Bobby Fisher and Henry Aaron, all the same.
    Either you lack nuance or you are deliberately obtuse.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

The next region is up. 3 more to do after this.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        Either you lack nuance or you are deliberately obtuse.
        Actually neither, grass hopper. I just have a well developed bovine excrement detector and it goes off like h*ll when it detects b*ll sh*t, expecially self-satisfied poseur b*ll sh*t. You're the one who compared pool and chess with major league baseball. And suggested chess players are "athletes." Not me.
        Last edited by Old Pio; 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

The next region is up. That makes 6 out of 8, I will get the last 2 posted as soon as I have time. It takes longer than it looks to get that done! All of the polls are capped at 14 days, so they all last the same amount of time, but will just end on different days, which shouldn't be a problem.

So far, the polls are going pretty much as I expected, no real big surprises.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I know I'm too late to the party for nominations... but as food for thought, in addition to my rowing nominations i posted yesterday, i would throw out this name: Sheila Taormina. The only woman ever to compete in 3 different sports in 3 different olympics. Might be hard to argue as the best athlete ever having "only" won one gold metal but an impressive reusme either way: http://sheilat.com/career.php

Comment

I got one more posted this morning, I haven't gotten descriptions in there yet, but the wikipedia links are there. I will work on the descriptions and the last region later today.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The last region is now posted, again without summaries. I am hoping to have those done for both of these last 2 regions sometime tonight.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Where are you posting the regions?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    Where are you posting the regions?
                    They're in the polls section of the cafe. Click on that section and you'll see all 8 of them listed, they're all named after US cities: New York, Boston, Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, and Los Angeles.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Here is a suggestion, based on soccer pool scoring, that also would make your life easier, and I think it also would make the contest more interesting for us voters as well.

You said "top 4 advance from each region" and also "there will be a separate run-off election in case of ties."

How about, you take all of the ties into one pool, and then have however many you need to advance come from that one pool?

So if two people tie for 4th in Atlanta, and 3 people tie for 4th in Chicago, and two people tie for 4th in Boston, you take those seven into one pool and the top three advance from it.

Since you have eight regions and it's looking like 4 or 5 might have ties, this would make it a lot easier for you and a lot fairer for the "participants" especially those in a "group of death" region....both of the tied athletes from a "group of death" might advance, while no one from another region might advance.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        Here is a suggestion, based on soccer pool scoring, that also would make your life easier, and I think it also would make the contest more interesting for us voters as well.

You said "top 4 advance from each region" and also "there will be a separate run-off election in case of ties."

How about, you take all of the ties into one pool, and then have however many you need to advance come from that one pool?

So if two people tie for 4th in Atlanta, and 3 people tie for 4th in Chicago, and two people tie for 4th in Boston, you take those seven into one pool and the top three advance from it.

Since you have eight regions and it's looking like 4 or 5 might have ties, this would make it a lot easier for you and a lot fairer for the "participants" especially those in a "group of death" region....both of the tied athletes from a "group of death" might advance, while no one from another region might advance.
                        That was my plan.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          That was my plan.
                          Thanks from all of us for a remarkable piece of work. I'm just kicking myself I didn't nominate Georg Hackl, the greatest luger ever.

Comment

Thanks from all of us for a remarkable piece of work. I'm just kicking myself I didn't nominate Georg Hackl, the greatest luger ever.
                            Heh, I had him on my list, and he ended up being one of the last cuts. Sorry about that.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Heh, I had him on my list, and he ended up being one of the last cuts. Sorry about that.
                              I was not serious. I believe Georg proved the superiority of East German engineering, the way their women's swim team proved the superiority of East German "nutrition." No way I'd want to fly down that hill at that speed (remember the kid who was killed last Olympics) it definitely takes b*lls, but I have a problem classifying him as an "athlete."

Comment

I was not serious. I believe Georg proved the superiority of East German engineering, the way their women's swim team proved the superiority of East German "nutrition." No way I'd want to fly down that hill at that speed (remember the kid who was killed last Olympics) it definitely takes b*lls, but I have a problem classifying him as an "athlete."
                                That was ultimately my reasoning for not including him, it seemed like the luge is more about having massive balls than being an athlete. Of course, the same argument could be made for race car drivers, which I included.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X