Colgate offseason speculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate offseason speculations

Just found this. Thought others who hadn't seen it yet might be interested.

http://www.colgateconnect.org/s/801/...id=1&pgid=4353

Comment

Your schedule: http://gogatehockey.blogspot.com/201...-captains.html

Looks like you guys are keeping with the non-ivy tradition of a third game against your (non-)travel "partner" (Q-Pac).

Comment

New rink "completely funded by us".....37 million....Explain please???
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Which part do you want explained?

Why raise the money? As with any capital project the school will fund raise the amount necessary to build (in this case a new hockey arena). They'll then borrow about the same amount, maybe a bit less. The borrowed money will be used to fund the construction project with all of the donated money going into the endowment. The borrowing costs being substantially less than the short or long term investment rates, the school will get positive arbitrage and be able to use the power of inflation to gladly pay you fifty cents tomorrow for a dollar today.

Why all from the "Colgate Community"? Who else would pay? and remember all one needs to do to be a member of the Colgate Community it to donate. So if Google suddenly wants to pony up $37 million for a new hockey arena at a small but awesome school out in the middle of nowhere - they're a member!

Why $37 million? Well in 2007 Quinnipiac completed a $52 million combined hockey and basketball facility. Assuming 4% inflation, that's $74 million in 2014 dollars (that's my guess as to when they hope to break ground). Half of $74 million is - $37 million. Hopefully that's enough to build in some good bells and whistles - some sort of Silver Puck/Private function/Luxury Box set up, hall of fame/history area and hopefully some pretty sophisticated television capabilities. Colgate is notorious for being slow on upgrades but has typically done it right when it finally does it. A $37 million budget seems like they plan to continue that tradition. And I'd expect it to be improved even more when a year after finishing the new rink, they break ground on the new $37 million basketball/volleyball/varsity sport support facility!

Comment

Thank you "Gate93", very informative ! I guess the "shocker" to me was that I was told by a Gate official that we were" five million short" of the needed funds about a year ago .What have they been doing in the meantime, does that mean we're starting with no funding in the present ?

How long do you think it will take to raise the 37 million?

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
              Thank you "Gate93", very informative ! I guess the "shocker" to me was that I was told by a Gate official that we were" five million short" of the needed funds about a year ago .What have they been doing in the meantime, does that mean we're starting with no funding in the present ?

How long do you think it will take to raise the 37 million?
              Good questions, Shabby. Not to be a Debby-Downer but I was a little dissapointed in the rendering I saw of the new building. I hope it turns out better than it looks on paper. Not sure that it is the equal of the Q-pac rink, and that is the facility that new recruits will be measuring us by, I would guess. Hope 'Gate does more than just meet the minimal standards for the building. Hope we have some unique features and take some risks archictecturally to capture the hearts and minds of very talented recruits. (I may be worrying excessively, but we only have one chance to get this right...at least in my lifetime)
              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Hard to tell the capacity...I didn't see it anywhere. Also I wonder if te walkway goes all around the rink. Will the ice level be down a bit or will we walk "up" initially then down to our seats ?

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                  Hard to tell the capacity...I didn't see it anywhere. Also I wonder if te walkway goes all around the rink. Will the ice level be down a bit or will we walk "up" initially then down to our seats ?
                  Seating bowl design is the exact same as Quinnipiac/Clarkson/Dartmouth with the walk-way around the top of the seating bowl surrounding it. You would walk down from the walk-way into your seats. From the specs, it appears there is going to be a large window much like there is in one end of Quinnipiac's rink. And we know the press box will be at center ice.

Capacity with standing room I believe is estimated to be around 2500 or so.

Comment

Thanks !

Comment

• Re: Colgate offseason speculations

I am speechless! The sooner they get this permanently onto the Colgate website to raise money, the better. What is the hold-up? Like others, was also wondering if a basketball facility will be far behind...seems ludicrous to build one half and not the other. Looks like they're taking a style similar to Hobey Baker Rink a-la the renovated Case Library. How long will it take to build? Where will it be located? Where to play in the meantime? If they can have hockey at Fenway, I say we have hockey on Taylor Lake.

Have been waiting for this moment for a long, long time. Thought the article by DelGiacco was very articulate and well-written without being pushy. IMHO a very, very good decision for Colgate and the future of men's AND women's ice hockey, and hopefully basketball. Very happy for current players, coaches, and future recruits. It's about time but no fault to Colgate for taking its time and trying to get this right. It is a big investment that needs to stand the test of time and, regrettably, not everyone supports athletics. Hopefully this is something we can all be proud of.
                      C O L G A T E
                      2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                      1990 NCAA FINALS
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                      ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                      ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Living in Connecticut now and attending several Quinnipiac games a year, I would be THRILLED if the new rink was comparable to theirs. TD Bank is a gorgeous facility.

Comment

Don't see any boosters club or alumni room in the plan design. Big mistake. Even Yale fit in an alumni/boosters club room in the renovation of the "Whale"

Comment

Originally posted by Woodstick View Post
                            Don't see any boosters club or alumni room in the plan design. Big mistake. Even Yale fit in an alumni/boosters club room in the renovation of the "Whale"
                            Can't imagine they wouldn't include a Silver Puck room/lounge/space in the design.
                            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Where can I see a larger sketch of the new rink ?

Comment

Still have to pinch me to believe it.
                                I think I am I correct in assuming that the lobby [and basketball court] will remain for now as I didn't see any area for concessions, either. I am hoping this is Phase One in what will eventually be a new lobby and identical basketball renovation. Would like to see proper [state-of-the-art] showcasing for all trophies in all sports, unlike the lackluster, lopsided, public high school displays that appear now. They are never cleaned or dusted, well lit...in essence, they are shameful and downright embarrassing. They do not make a positive first impression in the least and Colgate student-athletes have many accomplishments to be proud of. One thing at a time!
                                Anyone know the architect? Shepley-Bulfinch has nothing on their web site as of yet and did Case Library and Ho Science Center.
                                C O L G A T E
                                2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                                1990 NCAA FINALS
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                                ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                                ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X