Colgate offseason speculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate offseason speculations

Things are changing rapidly in the college hockey world. We have been lucky to keep our stars here four years. Wags leaving was speculated for awhile now, he thought the timing was right...GL Wags !

We do have a trump card, in anticipation of this happening, we have Darcy Murphy coming this fall, from the Wellington Dukes OJHL. In fourty eight games this year he had FIFTY TWO goals and thirty four assists !! DV was ready !

He was a 2013 recruit !

We have some real talent coming in, I'm feeling a little better !
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

good news...one more would really help...as usual the issue is not DV, it's the rules he's forced to swallow...

Comment

Wonder if they had a scholarship freed up ? Prob ?

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
          We do have a trump card, in anticipation of this happening, we have Darcy Murphy coming this fall, from the Wellington Dukes OJHL. In fourty eight games this year he had FIFTY TWO goals and thirty four assists !! DV was ready !
          He was a 2013 recruit !
          Is he really coming in this fall (2012) instead of 2013??? If so, that's great news! He'll be 20 this August (the 2nd oldest of the four 2013 recruits currently signed on), so he'd be the best option if we were to choose a player to arrive earlier than anticipated.

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
          Wonder if they had a scholarship freed up ? Prob ?
          Wagner was a scholarship player, so its very likely we have an additional scholarship opening now available that we can use. Assuming we have a limit of four per incoming class, maybe we can give six schollies this year with next year's junior class down to 2 members now? (resulting in 2 additional openings for scholarships?)
          Colgate '09

Comment

Rainman...the fact that we have to run these stupid numbers speaks volumes about the unequal playing field we apparently ascribe to...for the uninformed I suggest you visit Chris Heisenberg's post during each year...Colgate insists on getting dealt from the bottom of the deck as far as depth of incoming DI candidates...we give the impression of being a small baseball franchise in a world of salary-capped institutions...we can spend X and bring in X when everyone else at our level can bring in and spend 1.25X...please tell me I am wrong...

Comment

You heard it from the top !!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                Rainman...the fact that we have to run these stupid numbers speaks volumes about the unequal playing field we apparently ascribe to...for the uninformed I suggest you visit Chris Heisenberg's post during each year...Colgate insists on getting dealt from the bottom of the deck as far as depth of incoming DI candidates...we give the impression of being a small baseball franchise in a world of salary-capped institutions...we can spend X and bring in X when everyone else at our level can bring in and spend 1.25X...please tell me I am wrong...
                I frequently visit Chris Heisenberg's recruit page (in fact, it's bookmarked in my web browser). Back in February when we had 7 players signed on for 2012 and 4 already in the pipeline for 2013 I thought we were definitely preparing for the departures of 9 seniors (2012) and then 8 seniors the following year (2013). But then Jack McNamara decided to transfer and Chris Wagner decided to go pro. Perhaps we weren't expecting this. But lack of depth does concern me.

BTW, FOUR of our six 2010 recruits have either gone pro or transferred to another school. Maybe that's why we had a dreadful 2010-11 regular season: it was the recruiting class! Well ... half of it.
                Colgate '09

Comment

Looking at Heisenberg's roster it appears that all the incoming frosh are 5'11" or shorter and lighter than 182 lbs. That may be good news for the long haul. Chris Wagner had a body suitable for the pro game immediately. If DV goes with smaller, faster players maybe we hang on to them a bit longer(?). Just a thought.
                  COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Have learned on this site that there is always a bright side...if not many. If a scholarship opens up, that is great news. On the Voy forum someone stated that we didn't necessarily predict Austin Smith would have such a phenomenal year; never know what to expect from any one player. Who knows what current players or a strong freshman class may bring?

Like the idea of advertising our program's successes...definitely can't hurt. But we've fallen short on that in the past and have missed golden opportunities. Foyle basketball in '96, football in '03 and McDonald's Stanley Cup in Hamilton...these should still be on the front covers of programs without making us seem like we're living in the past...if not the inside jacket in full color. These storied seasons are few and far in between.

Have noticed a "bit" more that the athletic dept. is trying to lure more fans, but when our teams excel on a national level we need more publicity than free t-shirts. It's the success of our student athletes that sell Colgate. The non-televised ECAC tourny certainly didn't help our cause this year...but maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
                    C O L G A T E
                    2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                    1990 NCAA FINALS
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                    ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                    ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Don't get me started...I knew Connelly would win; I was too lazy to post...Austin, with all objectivity, was the best NCAA DI hockey player in the nation this year...apparently, the powers-that-be want to treat the ECAC (and, yes our alma mater) as a high-level DIII program/league...fine, if you want to award the UMD player for winning the NCAA championship last year and having a very good year on ice in 2011-12 then give him the trophy...if you want to award the player who EARNED this award in 2011-12 their is frankly no comparison...it stinks and, frankly, this is an injustice...I won't go through the numbers right now, but they speak for themselves...frankly, Connelly was probably not the best player on UMD this year...but this is a continuation of the clear prejudice that college hockey likes to foment (several writers who I will not name) since their bread is buttered on TV deals, eastern prejudices, etc. (BC just stuck a serious fork in that predisposition). I invite ANYONE to debate the relative merits of Austin Smith vs. ANYONE in college hockey this year...bring it on...goals, short-handed goals, PRIMARY assists, relative plus/minus, whatever...I am frankly sick and tired of this western-tilt in college hockey...I saw it last year watching Yale against UMD and sincerely hope BC takes home another DI crown...and BTW, the ECAC, that league that a lot of you "pundits" like to crap on, came within an ot goal of having two in the final four...SHAME ON YOU COLLEGE HOCKEY...SHAME ON YOU

Comment

You may as well call it the "failure to make the NCAA tournament" jinx. Had Colgate made the NCAA's this year, then maybe, just *maybe* Austin would have won the award.

In other news, Jeremy Welsh of Union signed with the Carolina Hurricanes, so we're not the only ECAC team that lost a player early to the pro's. If anything, Colgate has gotten some national recognition in the past week and hopefully it brings in some top recruits in 2013 and 2014.

This will be my last post until the start of next season. Have a great summer, everyone!
                        Colgate '09

Comment

Rainman...Austin Smith not only earned recognition as a Hobey finalist, he frankly deserved recognition as a Hobey winner...when all is said and done, not many are going to remember a runner-up candidate; they will remember a Hobey winner and THAT would be a big help towards our program...whether we advanced to an NCAA participant or not, the kid deserved the award, plain and simple...this is BS and I knew it would end this way...

Comment

Greencoat: it's all political, unfortunately. Nothing we can do about it. Time to move on.
                            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I Love it Greencoat !!!!! And I concur !!!

Comment

The Hobey Idiots never mentioned Austin's nation leading 6 shorties. The other players profile included an interview with the coach and with a teammate. I understand an interview with Wagner was recorded but not used. Definitely a western bias. Isn't the Award board based in Minnesota? Why not in Princeton?

Comment

Working...
                                X